1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bullet speed

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Postal, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Postal

Postal I apear to have lost my pin.

Ok, I have code to simulate air friction, make bullets fall at the correct speed, and so forth.

What I now need to know, what is realist speeds for bullets in uneal. I can easly look up the speed of ammunation, but what is the converson from fps to unreal units, what ever they are.

So, let say, for 9x19 nato, Federal 124 grain Hydro-Shock round at 1120 fps, how do I use that in my projectile?

2. +RIP+Botje

+RIP+Botje New Member

all i know is that 128 uu ~= 1m

3. Postal

Thats good enough, thanks

4. mr.s-d

mr.s-d CHiMERiC Moderator

Eh? 128UUs is ~1 metre? then that would make the players under a metre tall...

5. eXoR

eXoR Lead coder

As I recall it 48 UU = 1 meter.

6. Silver_Ibex

Silver_Ibex Member

Beppo already calculated out the conversions for airspeed and bullet drop, below are his comments from the infiltration bullet class.

7. Postal

Hey, I have similar code, cool

8. usaar33

usaar33 Un1337

Since you are going for realism, probably the best scale is derive it from gravity.

Default zonegravity is -950 unreal units/second^2 in UT (check the zoneinfo.uc class to verify if you wish).

Yet it is only applied at 1/2 rate (It is in the C++ code... Mongo showed the code at #unrealscript.. I dunno why Epic wrote it this way, but that is how it works. Feel free to test this yourself).

Thus -425 units = -9.8 meters

Thus 1 meter ~ 43.33 units.

1 foot = 13.21 units.

BTW, this scale gives 180 cm (5'11") players (collisionheight of tournamentplayer is 39. That measurement is from location to top and bottom of cylinder.. thus total size is 78 un high) A very realistic number :)

Beppo's scale results in 149 cm (4'10.5") players, rather on the short side.

180 un to 1 meter? The default player would be less than a meter tall!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2002
  9. Papapishu

Papapishu 我是康

Aaah! :):)
    It's at times like this when you see the pure beauty of truth like looking into the sun, but it's sweet.
    It makes you believe that there's an inteligent lifeform that has set the rules.
    The programers have thought of everything, and it makes me feel like I'm in a safe haven :D

hrrm, sorry, the mere beauty of the truth made me a bit dilerious and poetic :D

10. Postal

For my mod, we plan to use simple, unrealistic traces in most of the guns, but of few of the maps we have planed will not have edges but portles(is make a small section of forrest seem endless) so I am going to make some special guns for that, where the bullets are projectetiles that fly with air ristance, and dropw ith gravity, and so forth

11. EasyRaider

EasyRaider Crazy coder

So Zonegravity is only applied at half rate. Nice to know. I've already estimated 1 m ~= 43.33 uu from the height of players, but I didn't think about comparing with gravity.

Now acceleration isn't applied at half rate too, is it? I have a BallisticProj class, in which I add zonegravity to acceleration in an attempt to simulate gravity. Should I just multiply by 0.5?

[edit]
    Hm, it seems that 48 may be the most accurate number anyway:
    950 / 2 = 475
    475 / 9.81 ~= 48.4

That gives a player height of about 162 cm.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, papapishu :)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2002
  12. usaar33

usaar33 Un1337

Ya... that is how I work. Get good ideas... always make stupid calculation errors.

I suppose that means players are simply short then :) 3 inches shorter than me.. and I consider myself small :p

13. +RIP+Botje

+RIP+Botje New Member

maybe they had their heads deflated so they get less headshots ;)

14. butto

butto Red Orchestra Coder

In my mod, I just changed the scale to 1uu = 1 inch by changing player height, gravity, etc. It makes it a lot easier than using a 13uu = 1 foot scale.

Did you base your code on real ballistics formulas by any chance? I'm just curious, because as far as I know I'm the first to do it in a UT mod. It takes the ballistic coefficient into effect for air resistance, which is computed using the G1 or G7 drag functions. Also throws in gravity and wind.

15. Hunz

Hunz ...aka [A|K]Leviathan, mkay?

Realistic projectiles are falling, so i did the physics as falling, but they are falling too fast. Should i use the 'mass'-float or is it dead?

16. Papapishu

Papapishu 我是康

:mad:
    Well, it's in the future, who knows :D maybe the ppl shrink... ;)

BTW, projectiles are the only one's flying through warpzones also...scanhit's don't...
    But if you made the bullets go the same speed as a rifle-bullet, it'd go 14400 units per second...Does this have anything to do with the "speed" var of the projectiles? like speed=6000 = 6000 units/second or something
    I don't think that projectiles can go that fast... can they?

17. butto

butto Red Orchestra Coder

Of course projectiles can travel at that speed. They can travel at any speed, provided that MaxSpeed is set greater than or equal to your speed value.

Oh, and that thing about UT applying gravity at half the amount isn't true. The player JumpZ makes the player jump about twice as high as normal to try to make up for the twice as high gravity, but the player still has unrealistically low air time as a result.

18. EasyRaider

EasyRaider Crazy coder

What exactly do you mean? I too had a problem with PHYS_Falling. It seemed to limit the speed of the projectile to 2500 (same as terminalvelocity?). So I just set acceleration equal to zonegravity (plus some air resistance stuff).

butto,

G1 or G7 drag functions? Sounds a bit over my head, but you got me interested. Any chance of a link? :D

(edit)
    As a little note, I finally decided to use a conversion ratio of 1:45 (m:uu)