|BuF is now _BuF apparently. :c

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Originally posted by DrSiN
Sorry, but the pipe character is restricted and can’t be allowed in a displayable text field. I’m willing to filter it to a different character (like "!") but "|" isn't an option.
He's willing? Wow, dRsIn the man! :rolleyes:

It doesn't affect me at all, but anyone here and the hundereds of clans that use the | character will be mighty pissed when the almighty DrSiN proclaims that people can't use thier tags correctly anymore. Wtf can't they just make it so that when there's more than two ||'s together, it becomes a 6 or some radom character instead of totally screwing up names liek that?

Maybe if he wasn't such an arrogant worthless moron maybe he'd see what he's doing and the approach he's taking it, is wrong. :/

Yeah, I'm just ranting due to my power supply blowing up on me tonite and also discovering that the network blocked the gaming ports again. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Wow, a "restricted character", as in OMG IT'S OFFICIALLY PROHIBITED LOLOL

Excuse me if I am wrong, but what harm can/does the | character cause anyway? I've never seen the | cause problems except put extra linefeeds in some spots (like the voting screen chat window). Either way, this is fcuking stupid. :mad:

Edit: Ok, so I read on the thread in the News forum what multiple |'s in a row causes. But still, all they're doing is a stupid quick fix, it should be reasonably simple to allow |'s to be treated literally when they're in the context of a player name.

If we get forced out of using the pipe symbol, Alt+0166, which shows up as

¦

may be a suitable substitute. Besides, in the DOS days, pipes originally appeared that way, with a "slice" in the middle. ;)

Last edited:

Nines

With Rage Alive
Oct 12, 2004
Sweden
This is just stupid. :rolleyes:

I know a lot of clans that use | in the tag.

Maybe we could use ][BuF or .BuF or ~BuF. Just be creative, I'm sure we'll come up with a solution. :)

Last edited:

KevinRoe327

Boycott Grendelkeep!!!
Feb 6, 2005
www.geocities.com
A better way around this problem would be to say that the | character only works when there is a space between it. [Currently when binding and whatnot, Bind|Bind, Bind| Bind, Bind |Bind, Bind | Bind all work, they should make it so only the last one works.] And since you can't put spaces in names, the | would have no meaning but a display.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
I'm with Hyru's idea. The difference between | and ¦ is pretty minimal, if you ask me.

@JD: sad to hear it, mate. But it's no excuse to complain about things. I really doubt the Doctor would make that change if it wasn't important somehow. Personally, I'm glad there is a new patch being worked on :)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
For those too lazy to click, DrSin is changing it to an I instead of an _.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Sir_Brizz said:
For those too lazy to click, DrSin is changing it to an I instead of an _.
Bleh, that's still yucky. Sure, in the font UT2k4 uses, l and | look the same.
(Yes, that's a lowercase l, that's how capital I's look in game, I'm just trying to make a point here...)

But in many other fonts, I and | are totally different!

Quite frankly, hyrulianIBuF would just be unacceptable.

Why can't they just be less lazy and code a proper fix instead of just doing direct substitution of characters?

ThirtySixBelow

tactical inaccuracy
Feb 6, 2005
Hyrulian Hero said:
Why can't they just be less lazy and code a proper fix instead of just doing direct substitution of characters?

Because, it is probably salted all over the place and would take a long time to fix every instance of the error. It's already been who knows how long since a patch has come out, and I don't think they want to delay it longer because of a pipe character. Besides no one plays this anymore. Especially in another 2 weeks.

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
What I want to know is why "fix" this after the game's been out a year and a half and player counts are at an all time low and about to go even lower when Q4 drops? What's the point? Clearly the best solution is what Hyru said: don't take | as a return character when in a player name. Simple as that.

IEiFI just isn't as cool. :(

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
How dumb can you get? DrSiN shows you how...

One more reason that DrSiN is a f**king idiot. As if we needed another reason...

[EDIT]

<vent>
Actually, no, he's an arrogant, stuck-up, horse-felating, flea-infested, cock-slapping, arse-shafting, ****-eating, sister-****ing, goat-raping pile of bloated, maggot-ridden putrescence.
</vent>

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
There are so many non-alphanumeric characters in ASCII, I find it hard to believe you can't find one to replace the pipe symbol...

Additionally, I really doubt that this is a fix prompted only by DrSin.