1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BU Reviews: UT3 Bonus Pack 1

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, Apr 9, 2008.

1. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Epic Games dropped the Unreal Tournament 3 Bonus Pack 1 on us a couple of weeks ago. We've all been busy playing it and have put together a few thoughts in our review about each individual level as well as the package as a whole.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Poker

Poker Anus Retentus

Nice write-up as usual. :)

direct from my little soapbox: For the paltry amount of content that was released, it's true that there's much to be impressed with. Searchlight especially stands out as a rounded success, both visually and architecturally. Face's visual transformation is simply breathtaking, even though nothing save a helmet was added to the design. Morbias, like all its dome-ish ilk, is a half-map at best, has so uninspired a design that it barely deserves notice IMO, and honestly it shouldn't have wasted the attention of professional level designers.

This is a decent offering so far as it goes; it just doesn't go very far. So thanks Epic ... I guess.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  3. Six Ways

Six Ways Third Contingent

Yeah, very nice review. Unbiased and fair and expressed pretty much all the points I would have!

4. nELsOn

nELsOn bSnakeCastShadow = True

i'm pretty sure this female robotic voice is the same voice we heard in the first level of the original unreal.

what he says :)

5. Chandler

Chandler Self Unemployed

This is correct.
    ^_^

6. Tecman

Tecman My "Ad Hominem" takes 7.62mm

Don't you mean 2003? :)

7. RennyManJr

RennyManJr CHAINSAW HIM!!

Face 3 was in UT2k3 :)

Nice article btw, I still don't think that morbias was a right choice but i'm glad to see they focused on ctf. At least they recognized that putting only 6 ctf maps in the game is not enough.

My only fear about a future bonus pack is the doubt that we received this bp only to serve as a free beta test for those 3 maps 'cause they want to include them on the 360 version of ut3. So when the game will finally ship they don't have to build additional levels only to release them for free and we won't have any more bonus content.

Damn, i so want to be proved i'm wrong. :lol:

8. srø

srø #unstoppable

My fear is that they feel CTF got enough attention now and will be neglecting it future bonus packs. :(

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  9. Sk.7

Sk.7 New Member

Epic SHOULD indeed keep concentrating on CTF for bonus packs! :)

Mappers in the community are already wreaking havoc with the amount of DM and vehicle-based maps (which is a damn good thing anyway :D) yet good "NormalCTF" maps are relatively rare :(

10. Sirius

Sirius Meh

Good review as always. I agree with the amount of content vs. the amount of time it takes to do a quality map in the new engine. Quality > Quantity.

11. hal

Yeah, typo. Fixed. :)

12. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

Yep, good one from Epic by adding more CTF maps.

I like the review :tup:

13. D3@thChild

D3@thChild Nanoblack Ftw!

+1 on the review.

Great review! indeed creating a map for this game is complex if trying for something good, same happens with new characters, would be great to see a more mixed pack, 1 map of each gametype and 2 or 3 new characters, but maybe that would be asking for too much :D, thanks again Epic.

14. Alhanalem

Alhanalem Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop

Hal, you misused "begs the question" in your review.
    See www.begthequestion.info for more information :)

15. hal

Yeah, I'm not that worried about it. :lol:

16. Kharnellius

Kharnellius .

One could argue that if enough people use it "wrong" it no longer is wrong but becomes the new meaning. If I call a pencil a snarflaker and enough people begin to do the same, eventually Webster will add it to the dictionary defines as a "...writing instrument...". See "rollerblade".​

Just saying. ;)

EDIT: Kinda interesting reading about the phrase's roots. I almost get the feeling you could use it either way since it IS a phrase and from it's history it almost has a slang (perhaps a different word?) origin to it.​

Take, for example, if I were to say "He bit the dust". It could either mean, he literally bit some dust (which is odd but possible) or he was killed/hurt.

Whatever. I have no idea why I just typed all of that. :lol:

17. virgo47

virgo47 Waiting for next UT

Nice review. ;-)

18. GUPraeToriaN

GUPraeToriaN New Member

i thought the bonus pack was good buuuuut... :( no game mode. if they make another bonus pack, i hope they will include a few game modes like assualt and invasion...or something like that.

19. StreetPreacher

StreetPreacher New Member

Agree with the review on most points. Any official content is certainly welcomed with open arms. Epic has always been unmatched in post-release support and additional content.

I'm not usually one to look a gift horse in the mouth, buuuuut... If I were going to note any deficiencies on these maps, it'd be the lack of QA/polish. Within minutes of booting it up, at least 3 bugs were painfully obvious to me:

1.) The aforementioned invisible ledge in Morbias
    2.) The "black box of nothingness" atop the roof on either end of Searchlight, and
    3.) The utter lack of any screenshots in the map selection screens (all 3 maps)

Seriously though - who checks this stuff before it goes out the door?

20. Anuban

Anuban Your reward is that you are still alive

Apparently no one who should be receiving a paycheck ... that's for sure. Hell Epic knows they could hire me and I would do a much better job doing QA ... its what I know better than anything since I was a SQA/Network Test Engineer for many years working with top tier companies like Nortel Networks, Oracle, Novell, and many other tech firms located in the Silicon Valley area.

I have to be honest and say that I was not impressed ... one good totally brand new CTF level is just not enough ... sorry. After a week of playing these I am really disappointed. I do like Searchlight but damn ONE new level??? I don't care how much more complex UE3 is ... all I heard a couple years ago was how the new tools would allow people to actually create complex levels more easily or just as easily as in UT2K4. Now though I hear a different tune.

Sorry but this was not a good first effort ... I would rather they have just waited a couple more months and given us a pack with at least 7 levels in it ... of which at least 5 were brand new additions. Its not like Epic didn't know from the very first days of planning UT3 that they would be releasing a Bonus Pack. This effort may be acceptable from other companies but as a long time UT gamer you come to expect more from Epic.