1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Brothers in Arms (PC)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by O_DoGG, Mar 28, 2005.

1. O_DoGG

O_DoGG Le Boner

Anyone tried it yet?
    I grabbed it two days ago, and am having much fun with it so far. I like maps with lots of vegetation and giving orders which are actually obeyed :p
    Haven't had the heart to try it online yet (ubi.com somehow turns me down), but would be willing to if some of you want to get together :)

2. Mr. Apocalypse

Mr. Apocalypse My brain must be broken

I dont really like it. I was hoping for more of a straight forward game instead of one that is all about how you position your troop. To much stratagy and not enough action for me. Also it seems impossible to aim with out using the iron sights, like I couldnt shoot a guy right next to me with an MP-40, spraying him down from the hip.

3. Rostam

Rostam PSN: Rostam_

You've never played INF, have you?

4. OpFor

OpFor Feeling suicide, thats O.K.

I'm playing through it right now, and indeed, it is fun. It feels like an Xbox port, though.

No surround sound. If you watch the preview videos and listen to the sound, that is the sound in game. Sometimes it doesnt even sound like it is in stereo. Peoples voices are so muffled I had to enable subtitles. There are no options to change sound beyond master volume. I went searching to see if the horrible sound was just my computer being lame, and I discovered that the games sound just really, really, really...really sucks. When an explosion goes off beside you there is almost no bass to it. You could turn your fancy 5.1 speakers off for this one and not miss a damn thing.

Graphics. They aren't nearly as good as they look in videos and pictures. With everything cranked to the max bushes look like cheap sheets with a blurry green texture painted on. And apparently lots of people (me included) have trouble with FPS on a game that looks like OFP:R minus the advanced renderer. Anyone remember how Halo ran like crap on the PC?

The gameplay is decent I guess. I seem to remember Ubi and Gearbox saying the AI was completely unscripted. I seem to remember them saying germans would shift their base of fire to counter your flanking moves. All of this was a flat out lie. The germans show up at scripted times, take scripted cover, and then sit there doing nothing until you flank them. I also remember the developers bragging about how they remodeled Normandy. Well, they add so much crates, barrels, and mounds of dirt with in a very linear level, you might as well play in made up terrain. And it is linear. They give you 1 path to flank the enemy everytime. Makes scripting the germans easier I guess. But it is more fun the COMPLETE linearness of COD and such.

Maybe with some mods this game could be REALLY fun. It could have been another OFP but the lack of polish and downright lies about the gameplay really dissapoint me. I would acquire it the other way, if you catch my drift, or play it as a rental for the Xbox.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  5. Uzigon

Uzigon Master-Destroyer

I couldn't figure out how to play it, it was like as if the enemies kept regenerating their health. The thing I liked the most was how there were seperate animations for loading a strip clip and individual rounds, however the slide on the 1911 didn't lock open on the last shot!? Yea and it was near impossible to hit anything without taking aim with the sights, even at point blank range.

6. Arethusa

Arethusa We will not walk in fear.

I was worried about that.

Hell, it sounds like the entire thing's a mess. I had high hopes, too.

7. O_DoGG

O_DoGG Le Boner

I'm experiencing performance issues as well (while UT2004 runs perfectly on my rig), seems to be the vegetation crippling the framerate mostly. I haven't messed up with the .ini configuration yet, could be a solution in there.

Edit: about surrond sound, looks like it can enabled via the bia.ini, but you might have already tried that.

Edit2: messing around with the bia.ini did help a bit (be sure to modify the one located here: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Gearbox Software\Brothers In Arms and NOT the one in the system folder of the game), but what improved dramatically my performance was to set BOTH antialising and anisotropic filtering to "application preferred" in my gfx card settings.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2005
  8. Mr. Apocalypse

I have played INF, where I was at least able to hit people from the hip some of the times, this game....nothing, when you would at least point a guy in INF and spray a whole clip at them, there was a good chance they would die, in this game that seems not to be the case. The little bar above their head is not health, it is how well covered they are.

9. Rostam

Rostam PSN: Rostam_

In any case this game sounds interesting enough, but flawed. My point about INF being that it could never be hard enough to hit people.

10. Mr. Apocalypse

Oh, I guess I just was never good enough to have your problem :p