1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bright skins

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EggSuckingLeech, Sep 13, 2004.

1. EggSuckingLeech

EggSuckingLeech New Member

This mod is surely my fav. However, I use those Necris skins and my opponents complain of it being hard to see me. My solution was to install UTComp and turn on colored skins (EPIC style) and the UT2Vote bright skins.

I was looking through the readme of the 44 version and I noticed a comment about not being able to use colored skins along with a brightness over 100. Why is that? I'm not sure it will be bright enough (I use 250 now).

If I can get this to work, I have no reason to run UTComp any more.

2. tdw-socke

tdw-socke New Member

brightskinns and hitsounds are 2 points on our whish-list, to be optimized for the next release.

3. tuco[HaH]

tuco[HaH] InstaGib Player

We have BrightSkins and Team Colors working with a Brightness > 100.

The trick is to make settings in both the UT2Vote ini and the server's ini:

This is in our server.ini:

[BonusPack.xLastManStandingGame]
    bBrightSkins=True
    bColoredDMSkins=True
    bAllowPlayerLights=True

4. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Yes this Brightskins is/has become a problem because everytime Epic release a new patch they screw the code so we struggle harder to get the skins brighter and to work properly.
    Currently if you have bDetectUTComp=True then UT2Vote's BrightSkins are turned off.
    If you have bDetectUTComp=False then I dont know what will happen as UTComp takes the xPawn away and I dont think UT2Vote can get hold of it.

5. EggSuckingLeech

So let me make sure I got this right. You are saying that:
    1) If I run UTComp, then UT2Vote's brightskins are effectively disabled.
    2) If I do not run UTComp, then I can use UT2Vote brightskins BUT I cannot set it higher than 100 if bColorSkins=True.

If I got that right, then the only way to get brighter than 100 and colored skins is to use UTComp instead for this particular feature.

Did I get that right?

6. tuco[HaH]

I already wrote how to get it working with SkinBright > 100 :rolleyes:

7. EggSuckingLeech

sorry but I got rather confused when the developer implied that it doesn't work (even after your post). I also checked my UT2004.ini and I didn't find the settings you listed. I.e. they appear to be game specific settings which perhaps I need to add to every game type (?). I couldn't find anything wrt PlayerLights in my ini at all.

In short, I had more questions than answers from your response. Not a flame to you at all just that I wound up puzzled.

You were talking about UT2K4, right?

8. tuco[HaH]

Yes I'm talking about 2k4. And yes, they are game-specific settings. In my example, I was showing our Last Man Standing Settings. You'll have to put these settings in for any non-Team game where you want Team Color + bright skins (LMS, Deathmatch, Mutant, ...).

As for the PlayerLights, there are several settings that aren't in the ini by default. To find out about them, you can read the INI reference at unrealadmin.org.

9. EggSuckingLeech

thanks for your help. I will try this...

Do you know if there is a way to globally set this up across ALL game types or am I REQUIRED to set it up individually? It's good to have the option to change for each type but I would like to globally apply the setting if possible.

Thanks again.

10. groovyjoker

groovyjoker New Member

Is there an option to set bright skins per gametype in UT2Vote? Wow, tell me more, guys. I have been over at Gameamp telling them we need a serverside setting in version 1.4 for brightskins, so I can turn them off for my sniper and zark games, and turn them on for instagib and psychogib and akimbinslayer games.

They gave me some config line, but told me I would have to reinstall UTComp to get the line to work....I am waiting for UTComp 1.4 to use the line.

Can I already do this? I will set it up now if I can.

11. sh0V3l

sh0V3l New Member

just remove utcomp from the games u dont want the bright skins in
    you cant have it in servermuts anymore so remove from server muts then add to the mutators= section of the gametype string or string you want utcomp bright skins in

12. groovyjoker

groovyjoker New Member

GASP! Such blasphemy!