1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Brand new HD5770, artifacts?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by GeckoYamori, Jan 4, 2010.

1. GeckoYamori

GeckoYamori New Member

So I just installed my new XFX Radeon 5770 today, installed the latest Catalyst drivers and everything... and I'm experiencing these odd, really quick flashing artifact-type things maybe 1-3 times per hour. Either the entire screen flashes, or it's just the very top of the screen that flashes periodically for a couple of seconds... Worth noting is that I haven't even run any games yet, this happens in Windows XP while watching youtube videos or running a maximized application.

I have no idea if this is a software or hardware issue. Google isn't giving me many answers, though it's hard to even describe the problem properly.

2. Raynor.Z

Raynor.Z Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus

3. GeckoYamori

GeckoYamori New Member

I did some benchmarking along with running UT3 maxed for 15 minutes or so. No issues were detected and the card idles at around 55c. I think this is more related to 2D rendering somehow?

4. GeckoYamori

GeckoYamori New Member

Not exactly. I never had any freezing/locking, and those white stripes would just pop up and disappear in the blink of an eye. I took the card out and contacted my retailer. They don't know either, but said that since I use XP and this is a DX11 card (no 11 support in XP), it might have something to do with that?

Regardless, I think I'll try and plug it back in today, try and install drivers again and see.

5. SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster enemy of time

I really doubt it has anything to do with no DX11 support in XP. Sounds like a good BS marketing line though.

6. GeckoYamori

GeckoYamori New Member

Yeah, I figured they were gonna try and get me to buy more products somehow.

7. Bean 3:16

Bean 3:16 New Member

I don't know a ton about 2D graphics APIs, but that's surprising you'd see this problem across multiple apps. Flash has their own 2D API, and I don' know what the apps you listed use. I can't imagine it would behave differently for windowed vs full screen. It wouldn't have to clip in full screen, which should make things better, not worse.

Um...usually ATI has very good 2D support. Did you try posting in their forums? Driver developers and marketing folks should cruise them, and you may get help there if you can provide them with more details.

8. GeckoYamori

GeckoYamori New Member

I plugged the card back into my computer... The flashing thing is still happening, though not as often right now. Worth noting is that I never experienced this before I reinstalled the drivers, so I'm fairly certain now it must have something to do with that... Using Catalyst 9.12 right now (yes, I tried the hotfix). I've also done some extensive gaming today, CS:Source, UT3, Red Alert 3 for several hours.... They all ran flawlessly.

Weren't there some third party drivers available for ATI cards I might be able to try?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  9. Bean 3:16

Bean 3:16 New Member

I wouldn't recommend it :/

Full disclosure: I'm a driver dev at NV, and we check our forums regularly. Just give it a shot.

10. GeckoYamori

GeckoYamori New Member

I've installed the new Catalyst 10 drivers. So far, I haven't experienced any crap in Windows (had it installed for about 2 days now). Now it just behaves sort of weird when launching/exiting Source-based games, screen goes black and flickers like crazy for about 2 seconds.