1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Brain Twister for you all... Maybe Win a date with Spooger! HA!

Discussion in 'Infiltration Development' started by Spooge, Oct 14, 2001.

1. keek

keek mapper

Oops :).... hmm..ehh.... I have a really slow internet connection!;)

2. keek

keek mapper

Now that I'm finally up to speed.... I understand that on that beautifull path Spooge made the different polys are not merged... so doesn't that give ugly lighting? Like shadows at the edges where you don't want them... or set the surface to bBrightCorners=true and you don't have shadows at the edges where you want 'm.

3. DeadEyeNick

DeadEyeNick New Member

welcome back Bastard'O! :D

4. phatcat

phatcat akward cat

*sigh*
    ok,I layred the first image onto the second and adjusted the layer transparacny. doing this I found out somethign I suspected.

the hint is that its using Tris insteasd of quads. this would allow you to shift a texture on two parts of one quad face.

I highlighted a peice of the image. and added a dviding line to show where the quad is devided by the two tris (right hand cornner)

now if you look you can see the texture is not one. its 2 sections, and forms a VERY obtuse angle from on another!! (figure in upper left hand cornner)

so, did I get it??

5. WhackZero

WhackZero whack0

phatcat

you got that part right, but i think spooge is asking us how he did that, not what he did:p

6. LoTekK

LoTekK Peon

umm... don't you read the thread? :D ;)

7. Spooge

Spooge Digital Content Creator

Keek - "I really didn't know this kind of texture scaling can be done in UT, or even in 3dsmax, but I'm no wizard at that. If you know how, please explain how to do it in 3dsmax!"

Try this in MAX Keek...

1- Select Path Spline
    2- Go to the Create/Geometry Tab
    3- Change the dropdown menu to Compound Objects
    4- Choose Loft
    5- Choose Get Shape Button
    6- Select the Shape Spline
    7- Under Skin Parameters area set the Shape Steps to 0 and the Path steps to maybe 7 or 8.
    [​IMG]

Now just assign a texture and set the Diffuse texture's U and V tile, to like maybe 4.
    [​IMG]

You can Download a practice file, (the one I used to create the MAX Arche) here...

MAX 3 Version http://web.ntown.net/~marklarsen/dano/MAX3ARCH.ZIP

MAX 4 Version http://web.ntown.net/~marklarsen/dano/MAX4ARCH.ZIP

This can be done with most any two splines (one for the path and one for the shape). It's a breeze.

Keek again - "I think I'll do another guess, you won't fool me this time! I've seen the Matrix! We have to realise the truth.... there is no texture. Then you'll see it's not the texture that bends, but yourself!"

Ummm.... you Bucked up Fig time, you must have taken BOTH pills.
    :D

Keek once again - "... so doesn't that give ugly lighting? Like shadows at the edges where you don't want them"

And yes, it's one of the trade offs... sux but you are correct.

phatcat... And yes, as you have pointed out, the 3 sided polys do some odd things to the texture alignment, but this is just something we have to live with, some distortion is going to take place when geometry is created as a quad and converted to a 3 sided poly.
    So it's a good observation, but not an answer to the real question. How do we get from a modeling application like Maya or MAX into Unreal with the texture coords intact? DXF is not the answer.

8. LoTekK

LoTekK Peon

/me envies all of you with maya, bryce, max, etc... :hmm:

9. Starstreams

Starstreams New Member

10. BlAcK_PlAgUe22

BlAcK_PlAgUe22 I ooze.

/me too

Although i've been using gmax recently, its like a watered down version of 3ds max :)

And i already know you cant import into UED with it :(

(Edit: And just out of curiosity, what formats does UED recgonize?)

11. Akuma

Akuma Deacon Massif

lofted mapping is great (until you alter the brush and lose it :mad: )

Unreal Tools is a MAX script EA whipped up for Undying that allows you to import/export to max in t3d format, avoiding the problems associated with importing as Dxf and allowing you to retain texture co-ordinates and lighting info. Handy!

Hopefully they'll release them to the public soon, but don't hold your breath.

Oh, I give up I have no idea how you did that :)

12. das_ben

das_ben Concerned.

i replied next to spooge and akuma... i'll never wash myself again! :D

13. Spooge

Starstreams... I only wish that tool set worked with MAX also... it's a Maya only tool... *sigh* And I have yet to try it in Maya, but I will.

BlAcK_PlAgUe22 - "(Edit: And just out of curiosity, what formats does UED recgonize?)"

You can open/import: UNR, T3D, DXF, U3D and ASC... The only one of those that can be Exported directly from MAX and call a texture is the ASC format BUT it does not retain the texture alignment (DAMNIT!!).
    MAX also writes the ASE file format and it DOES in fact retain everything needed for a smooth transition... but we have no support in the current Unreal using that format.

@kuma... thanks for the info, it looks sweet! I will not hold my breath... but I will look for it's release!

-reaper- lol... duder?!? heh:p

Last edited: Oct 20, 2001
  14. WhackZero

WhackZero whack0

impossible for everyone else but spooge?

ok....i'm gettin the idea here that t3d is the answer.... but since max doesnt support this file export, then either spooge used another 3d program or he's got this t3d export tool for max.... something i dont have. if you do have one....um....mind if you share? :D

15. WhackZero

WhackZero whack0

alpha9 might know the answer....

looks like he got the texture to curve along the road in the map posted on the front page..... (cool lookin map, btw)

16. Starstreams

Starstreams New Member

I think Spooge is actually working for the gods and he has preformed some kind of magic :D

17. WhackZero

WhackZero whack0

he must be....

:rolleyes:

18. BlAcK_PlAgUe22

BlAcK_PlAgUe22 I ooze.

Spooger, are you using the HEIDI renderer or OGL/D3D?

When i set it to one window, it looks wierd :hmm:

19. Spooge

It pains me to have to do this... :-( Bad news

How I wish it was true...

But... I was using an application that is in development and I was hoping that the developer would allow me to facilitate simplified "user" version for the community, a plugin of sorts. That was the plan anyway. It was VETO'ed today. *sigh*:( The California developer decided it would be best to wait to release a tool like this. For what I don't know.

I'm sorry guys, honestly.

If you get into a pinch and you need something from MAX converted, ask, I'll see what I can do.

20. LoTekK

LoTekK Peon

see??? i knew it!!! spooge's a tease!!! :mad: ;) :D

sorry to hear about the veto, but hey, ya win some ya lose some... thanks fer giving us a heads-up (tease! :D) about the tool, though... :)