1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Brain Twister for you all... Maybe Win a date with Spooger! HA!

Discussion in 'Infiltration Development' started by Spooge, Oct 14, 2001.

1. LoTekK

LoTekK Peon

unfortunately, no, that method does align the textures around the curve, but doesn't squish them towards the inner part of the curve, so it still looks sh!te...

2. keek

keek mapper

Well... I asked my brother about it. He didn't really know what the solution is, but he told me he was convinced it is easy. After receiving that great :) help, I decided to go and try for myself.
    First I imported half a torus in UED. Merged some polys to make sure I only have "quads", not triangles. Then I noticed the default alignment, or the "unalginment", isn't so bad after all. 15 minutes of fiddling around gave me this result:

3. keek

keek mapper

Anyone wanna date me? :D

4. Spooge

Spooge Digital Content Creator

Re: j00 t3453

Hmm... I like that idea... but no, that's not it. :D Thank you, please play again, thank you please play again, Thank you, please play again, thank you please play again, *scratch*

A "Clue" LoTekk says...
    ehhhhhh... hmmmmm....
    NO, no more clues.:D lol... Islington is right, I AM evil! :D

Excellent detective work here WhackZero...
    "well, since the dxf format does not support textures (only geometry) and you asked us how you got it into ued with EVERYTHING (assuming textures aligned already), it must be another format you used."

Your getting warmer WhackZero... :D

That actualy looks pretty close there Keek! Not bad at all! Try this, select a single surface on that puppy and do a Shift+B to select all faces of the brush, then rotate the texture alignment 90 degrees so that the texture alignment matches the one I have. How does it look? Maybe put up a screenshot for us...? So far it looks good btw...

A point I must make at this time: My method in achieving the creation of this puzzling piece of geometry is just one in many. This quiz (and the feedback from this community) are a good example of community problem solving. You guys are doing great! Even if your answer is not the actual method I used, it's still a possable solution. And we all have learned from this, I know I have.

SO!... the answer is: Keep trying, or at least until you find the "best" method. Someone will either guess mine or maybe at the right time, I'll share mine with you all.

Either way you guys are doing very well!

5. phatcat

phatcat akward cat

*hrmm*

in my back water way of Worldcraft. something like that would be hard.

well the Torus would be almost impossible

but if I did it, I can "alight not face" instead of world, then guess-ti-mate the angle of the texture :)

I need to get into UED

6. bastard_o

bastard_o Lead Designer

Nice Spooge.... I will have to think about this teaser for a while... :)

7. Spooge

HE'S BACK!!!!!!:D :D :D

W00t!!!

8. WhackZero

WhackZero whack0

hmmm.....

yeh, dont tell us the answer yet, Spooge. this is great. :D keep the riddles comin.

anyways, i experimented some more... i didnt use a torus like some of you guys did. i tried two methods: one was bevel profile and the other was extruded and had the bend modifier applied to it. when i exported those two geometries and imported them as brushes into ued, they looked fairly similar. but when i applied a texture to them (without alignment - which looked decent, like what keek said), the texture alignments were different for both... hmmm......

you said, "the only way to even get MAX to align a texture that way is to Extrude the shape along a path, in that case though it was along an arc... so that much is right LoTekk. "

so you must've used bevel profile. funny thing is, when i did this in 3dsmax and applied your brick material on it (after applying uvw map and choosing 'face'), the shape and texture looked EXACTLY like your's, right down to that slight texture distortion on the side. hmmm....

i also tried exporting the shape as another format (not dxf or t3m.... it was asc or something, i forgot). that didnt quite make a difference.

i tried exporting the mesh as 'object', 'material', and '1 layer', but i didnt notice any difference in that either....

i dunno, spooge. i'm fresh out of ideas. you stumped me. you win (doesnt mean i'll give up) :D

Last edited: Oct 17, 2001
  9. TerOmen

TerOmen Member

PolyTexScaleRelative?

10. keek

keek mapper

I'll try that Spooge, I think it'll look much like yours then....
    A guess at what you did.... do you have a t3d exporter? that format supports texture info stuff ...?

And yes!! He's back!:)

11. das_ben

das_ben Concerned.

welcome back bastard!

12. Akuma

Akuma Deacon Massif

UnrealTools?

13. Spooge

Looks like WhackZero is hard at it! :) But remember that if you Extrude a shape along a path in MAX then you will want to use the default mapping coordinates... don't add a UVW map, that defeats the purpose. When you extrude a shape along a path it aligns the texture to the shape itself, hence no UVW required. Face mapping works in some cases but will muck up in some cases too. Either way it sounds like you go the MAX part down well enough. Now get it into UED.;)

TerOmen - Good to see you here man, and nope that's not it. But if you can make it work with that I would love to see an example.

Keek - I think you are the first to see something that others have overlooked Keek sir... perhaps a form of T3D exporter it is... just perhaps.

@kuma - Ah cool, we got you playing too eh? Hmm... What do you mean by "UnrealTools"? Are these a special download? Or do you mean the ones included with UED?

Anyway...
    OK heres another example of a texture following/aligned to a path. Notice along the edges that it's obvious that the alignment is not set to "Floor", because it follows the curvature of the brush. Who wants to guess that this was created in 3D Studio MAX and imported?

[​IMG]

For those who want to see one of these example files "up close and personal" download this file http://web.ntown.net/~marklarsen/dano/Walktest.zip and open it in UED. Once you have it open you might also LOAD the remaining textures in the pack Junk8.utx. You will find some additional textures to play with. Remember to select all of the faces of the Path brush by simply selecting one of it's faces and then hit SHIFT+B.

Notice you can rotate the texture 90 degrees and it still follows (or is aligned to) the path. Doing a curved street might just be a LOT easier. Well... once you find the answer that is... :D

14. LoTekK

LoTekK Peon

hmm, some of the hair i pulled out of my head earlier in this thread seems to have grown back... good...

/me again pulls hair out in frustration...
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!

15. Spooge

So did anypne D/L it and check it out?

16. LoTekK

LoTekK Peon

yup, i d/l'd it for the textures... :D
    okay, i couldn't figure anything out yet (had work to do in the meantime), but there's only one problem i can see with doing it this way: no way to merge the polys on the surface of said curved surface...
    having said that, it's still cool as shit... :tup:

oh yeah, and you're a damned tease... :p

17. Spooge

Good point LoTekk.

If you did a merge poly then the texture goes only one direction... and that would suck. :)

And I'm not a tease... someone just has to figure it out!:D

18. Starstreams

Starstreams New Member

I have no right to be guessing like this, :D
    Did you use the T3D exporter’s panel by typing 'axbrush' in the max command line? Then exported the brush with the materials by name?

Welcome back Mr, B :)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2001
  19. keek

keek mapper

Hmmm.... Well Spooge, I rotated my texture 90 degrees, and now I really see the genius of your work: your texture is, eh well how do you say ... getting wider towords the outside. A mathematician would say: your scaling has a constant gradient in one direction. My texture does not, as you can see :(
    So a t3d exporter might be in the right direction. I really didn't know this kind of texture scaling can be done in UT, or even in 3dsmax, but I'm no wizard at that. If you know how, please explain how to do it in 3dsmax!

I think I'll do another guess, you won't fool me this time! I've seen the Matrix! :D We have to realise the truth.... there is no texture. Then you'll see it's not the texture that bends, but yourself!

20. LoTekK

LoTekK Peon

hey keek... umm, sorry to be the one to tell you this, but we established that right from the start of the thread... :p

;)