1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BP ressurected

Discussion in 'General Infiltration Discussion' started by BattlePriest, Aug 13, 2003.

1. BattlePriest

BattlePriest Confessor to the fragged

Hey guys.... I just re-installed INF after many many months off. Played alittle tonight...but there wasnt much choice for servers...

BTW.. cna someone give me the short explanation of RA286 VS RAv2....whats the difference..are they even related?

Anwyoo... Ive been focusing on Airsoft lately....but I decided to come back and try INF again...I was missuing it.

If your an airsofter...check out my Airsoft team site:
    http://geekswithguns.home.comcast.net/

Hope to see some of ya playig INF soon.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2003
  2. das_ben

das_ben Concerned.

Welcome back.

I don't know the details about RA286, but it's got plenty of interesting although unrealistic features.

3. w00p

w00p Windows at its best

RA286 has wonderful nade efects, and some quite interesting features like climbing instead of jumping, but the current levels allowed too much abuses with the climbing. I'm not actually following progress on it lately... but a long time ago, I remember the gravity was reduced enourmously...
    you could almost jump over other players...
    ... *almost* ;)
    I really don't know that much about RA286, sorry, but I came ere to welcome you back!

WB, and hopefully I can even play INF sometime... (hardware/overclocking/registry, don't ask)
    Are you going to enter realmaps crew again? That place is really starting to get in need of someone to rejuvenile stuff...

4. AlmostAlive

AlmostAlive Active Member

Welcome back, dude :)

5. (SDS)benmcl

(SDS)benmcl Why not visit us here in the real world.

Actually that lower gravity thing was set that way to test something else if I remember correctly. It was set higher than normal to figure some things out and wasn't intented for actuall game play.

binds required:

nvision to activate the night vision goggles. Not sure what the current status of this is.

firstaid to stop the bleeding of your team mates. They don't gain health but only stop bleeding. You can die from bleeding to death. Most players have the firstaid bind with the grab key. InfGrab | firstaid. simplier and easy to use.

I bloody well forgot the FOV bind.

Also, although I have not played it, you can now roll nades and such.

A small list from Toad August 7th 2003.
    Of course things change nearly everyday and I sort of fell behind.

6. Beppo

Beppo Infiltration Lead-Programmer

just one little comment on two of the features:
    -Jump/climb feature
    -Ability to get to higher places by jumping on top of another soldier

This is a problem for most maps cause you can get to places you shouldn't.
    Many many days of testing were spent to make the INF 2.9 maps solid regarding the "can get out of bounds" or "can get on roofs I shouldn't get on" issues. Climbing on another player will result in player stacking (remember those CS screenshots and "world records") to reach specific places the mapper doesn't want players to get to.

This will unbalance almost every map out there so you guys should try to find a "good" way of implementing such a feature.

good luck.

Beppo

7. Freon

Freon Braaaaiinss...

8. (SDS)benmcl

(SDS)benmcl Why not visit us here in the real world.

Actually I wasn't a big fan of going were one is not supposed to but EP just seems a little bit more exciting.

I have discovered a new level of paranoia.

9. -=SDS=-Coop

-=SDS=-Coop INF Online moderator

making that jump on ep to get you on the mountains close to the red base is the ****... i will no longer state anything about it, as that will give away too much... but i believe it was geno who taught it to me (though i may be mistaken, it was a UMC. i know that for sure... they're all a bunch of wankers anyway :p

Welcome Back BP!!!!! TM-P90 looks awesome... I have a TM-MP5-SD5, its the ****... too bad its illegal in my area ;)

10. [UMC]Boron

[UMC]Boron UMC's Official Drunkard

:nag: :lol: shut up coop, and welcome back BP. :D

11. TOAD

TOAD One team...one life...one chance

Thank you for your concern Beppo. We usually play with random spawn so map balance is not an issue. One thing I would like for you to check out is the new hand nade physics. We've tweaked it to behaves quite realistically. Perhaps you can put it in 2.9 if you like it ;). Ra286 is now final and you should be able to find the post with link to download in this forum.

12. Cleeus[JgKdo]

Cleeus[JgKdo] because respawns suck

RandomTeamSpawn has nothing to do with climbing. Climbing allows you to reach places you weren't supposed to go. You can go out of the map, you can reach very very powerful spots - even if it's not imbalancing, it's a problem.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2003
  13. TOAD

TOAD One team...one life...one chance

You must be a goody two-shoes that follows every rules. Real snipers would climb anything possible to get to a good spot. I'm sorry but if a map is surrounded by a fence, there's still a world beyond that fence so expect infiltration from anywhere - just like rl... omg.

14. MP_Duke

MP_Duke Banned

freon, stop speaking on my behalf_
    i've played, i've mapped, i've coded in this community_ just because you're a team inf mapper doesn't make u a hotshot, sellout_

btw, beppo, it's not unbalancing if everyone can do it_ the relevant issues concerning places "you shouldn't go" is eyecandy or (if your dumb enough) getting stuck_ besides, who died and made the mapper god anyway? i do understand though, as a mapper i always try to never let the player see a cut-off point between playing area and skybox_ but that's the only real argument against having climb; and it's not enough because most 2.86 outdoor maps don't even bother to hide these areas of "imperfection"_ this is ra286, 2.9 does not exist for me yet_

Last edited: Aug 14, 2003
  15. keihaswarrior

keihaswarrior New Member

In theory I agree with Toad and Duke. If someone can climb to an unrealistic position in the map, it is because the map is unrealistic. Besides, I don't see what's so hard about putting large cliffs, buildings, or lots of water around the map. Or just do what macedonia did...

In reality though, none of the mappers mapped with ra286 in mind, so it detracts from the gameplay after the initial "ooh I can get here now" feeling has worn off.

BTW, I would like to see a mapper make a woodland or jungle map designed for ra286. It could have trees that snipers could climb and shoot from.

16. Freon

Freon Braaaaiinss...

I talk as a mapper. If there is a spot you can't go in regular Inf but can reach in RA286 that's just cheating.
    Generally you should ask yourself "Did the mapper wanted me to go there?" with regular Inf, RA or RA286. 99.99% of the time the answer is no. I've already saw you using 1mm ledge or getting on roof or other objects. That's just lame.
    Just because you have no problem with that doesn't allow you to spread thas trend. :mad:

17. Keganator

Keganator White as Snow Moderator

The correct answer is, every mapper is a god, and what they intend is important ;)

18. Saladin

Saladin Fez Toting Warrior!

OMFG Its BP!!!!! (ill be on icq...)

19. Dr.J

Dr.J advent child.

just dropped by to welcome you back battlepriest ;)

20. Buddy_Pickle

Buddy_Pickle Fffeeerrrtt!!!

I thought I was BP...