1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

bots activating lifts before round start

Discussion in 'Level Editing - Advanced' started by Megatherium, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Megatherium

Megatherium New Member

bots activating lifts before round start (UT)

if this can't be fixed, i'm going to have to redesign my level a great deal.

it is an assault map and i had planned for the attacking team to start on movers. but during the "you are not ready" part where you just fly around, the mover would activate. after a ton of testing i narrowed it down to definitely being the bots that were activating it even before they spawned.

i tried setting the playerstarts off to the side of the movers then using a kicker to kick them on to it as soon as they started but it stil calculated it out and set the movers going!!

i also tried setting the playerstarts off to the side and then putting thighpads on the mover so that the bots voluntarily jump onto the mover. this got them onto the mover without setting it off before the round began, but as soon as they go the thighpads they would jump off the mover (sometimes to their death). i may be able to tweak that idea if no one has a better idea.

it works fine if you start the level immediately, but most people will want to read the mission objectives or fly around for a little bit.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2004
  2. Megatherium

Megatherium New Member

is there no way to disable/enable a mover?

like setting the mover to disabled then having the player hit a switch to enable it (NOT ACTIVATE IT), just make it so that it can go when it gets bumped?

ideal scenario: you spawn on the mover, shoot or press a button, then jump or something to activate the mover?

3. Megatherium

Megatherium New Member

it's no longer about me learning UED, it's about UT being stupid

this is sooooooooooo stupid. it's hard enough to engineer a way to fix the problem, but that method always leads to more problems!!

so i made a trigger that would set the movers going when shot, allowing the player to decide when to go. but then i realized that when the teams switched, none of the bots would shoot the trigger and launch the mover. so then i put a fortstandard behind the trigger and made it so the bots would shoot at the fortstandard to set off the trigger, but for some reason the other team wouldn't respond to it when it was their turn.

i know nothing of Uscript but would it be possible for any master coders to write something that i could include with my map that would make bots act EXACTLY like players rather than this pre-spawning crap that is ruining my level?

it was ill-planned on the developer's part to have two things (players and bots) which act differently and not be able to differentiate between them in mover (and other actor) properties.

4. Megatherium

Megatherium New Member

ok, i've found a way around it...

so i was able to fix the situation by making the mover an objective. at the start of the round, the bots (and player if they wish) shoot at a lever which sets off the mover. this works fine for the first attacking team (the one that the player is on). but when it's the all-bot defenders turn attacking team's turn, they don't seem to care about it.

is there something you have to do to make the assault objectives (fortstandards) relevent to both sides? i really have no idea why the bots on my team work and the bots on the enemy team don't pay attention.

are there any assault mappers out there that can explain?

5. Megatherium

Megatherium New Member

hmm... i'm encountering a lot of problems with making it bot compatible, and with there not being any comprehensive assault map tutorials out there (that i know of), i've narrowed down the possibilities of how i should continue to these:

A) make it multiplayer only - this is by far the easiest option, but it incredibly disappointing that i won't being able to realize what i set out to do.

B) for some reason i can only make the team that you are on follow directions. when the bots are on the attacking team, they just sit around playing with their private parts all day long. so with that, i can rig a decent single player attacking side, but then you'll just have to wait till the second round ends with no action. ARE THERE NO ASSAULT MAPPERS THAT HAVE DEALT WITH THIS AND CAN TELL ME WHAT IS WRONG?

C) i can just ditch the whole thing. it really was a great idea, the setting was aboard a giant ship (let's say 6x as large as hyperblast) flying out over the ocean, a burning city on the shore. you had to go in and destroy a series of systems and then activate the engines to set off a melt down. if i can't get any help and have to go with C, i might post some pictures (but wouldn't it be cooler to play it?)

i'm guessing that the 50 some views and 0 replies other than my own indicates that i am alone in my struggle... well FINE, none of you are going into the thank you section of the read me :mad:

6. Megatherium

Megatherium New Member

aha! i have found a way around it! so to heck with you!

well, i'll probably be back soon enough, asking about some other problem i have, so get ready to not answer my questions again! ;)

7. Megatherium

Megatherium New Member

um... soooooo, new problem:

does anyone know of any comprehensive assault tutorials? or more specifically assault bot pathing tutorials?

the paths are all fine, but the bots don't like to leave their spawn points (the attackers will if i order them to attack).

the defenders don't care when an objective is completed. there is a path for them to get to their defense points but they just want to sit around the weapon spawn points.

any ideas?