1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Borderlands PC Gets Gearbox Lovin'

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, Sep 28, 2009.

1. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

According to a confirmed story at Destructoid, the PC version of Borderlands is getting the star-treatment. Not only will high-end PCs gamers see the game at its best, graphically speaking, but the menu and inventory system are being designed specifically for the mouse/keyboard combination.

Other nice touches include the ability to export a .jpg of any one of the (reportedly millions) unique weapon combinations you find. The game will also ship with a timedemo benchmark utility. Steam users will also be glad to know that Gearbox will soon announce that Borderlands will be available on that platform.

Finally, Kotaku seems to have unexpectedly called out Gearbox's Mike Neumann on an offer he made on Twitter:

Blue's News points out that he has just declared he will make good on the offer.

2. Hunter

Hunter BeyondUnreal Newsie

think I may have to pick this up on Steam.

3. Super-Moose

Super-Moose Member

It's a sad day for PC gaming when mouse and keyboard support becomes something to shout about.

4. Rohit

Rohit New Member

Indeed.

Death to consolification.

5. Mozi

Mozi Zer0 as a number

Good news that it will be coming to steam.

Just wondering though if I get a retail copy, I want it for the box art, can I use the same CD key to register my copy on steam and download the game without buying it twice?

6. RoadKillGrill

RoadKillGrill Got Lead?

Great to hear that it will have a steam release.

That is really how I've been buying all my games for a while, not seen a "collectors" edition worth collecting to buy a retail copy. Games don't even have boxes, some devs are so lazy the manual is a pdf.

7. Jackal

Jackal Crapass

Not lazy, but cheap perhaps or saving money. Besides, do you really want to cut down a whole tree for a manual?

I will also agree to the fact that having a mouse + Keyboard menu is news worthy.

However, I'm extremely excited about the PC version and Steam as that's how I have bought the last 4-5 games for PC that I now own. And that's really cool for the Gearbox guy to do that.

I was gonna preorder it anyways, but this should be fun.

-5 points because this is just another potentially awesome game that's coming out too soon to other potentially awesome games. I don't have enough money to pay the water bill!

8. elmuerte

elmuerte Master of Science

Yes, because if it's something I'm not going to read I would at least have it occupy some space.

9. q_mi_4_3

q_mi_4_3 Target pratice for others....

Did you mean not news worthy? They are basically saying they are giving you something they should be giving to you by definition.

10. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

Will the retail-version use Steam as DRM as well ?

Gone are the days when buying software meant you got something worth holding on to.
    Might as well use torrents instead ...
    Why pay for something when you're only allowed to rent it anyway ?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  11. dub

dub

Precisely because a lot of companies don't give that extra attention to the PC versions any more, this is good news. <3
    (and also shows other companies that we can actually do with at least a PC-optimised menu taking advantage of the fact that most are on KB and mouse ;))
    Hope this game does well on PC... would show devs it's worth the effort.

12. Jackal

Jackal Crapass

lol yeah. Sorry.

"not news worthy"

13. Armagon917

Armagon917 TOAST

developers have been treating the PC like an afterthought for a while. i think what Gearbox is saying in this statement, is that they are going to address the obvious issues we see so many other developers ignoring.

i think it's great that Gearbox is basically saying, look, we are not going to overlook the obvious, while many other developers do. what's to complain about? btw, the statement was one that meant a PC specific menu UI specifically for m+kb and not m+kb support in general for the entire game. that's kinda what you make it sound like.

sounds like Borderlands PC will get the proper attention. they are kindly saying in a very PR way, we will not give you a bull**** console menu. i applaud Gearbox and they in turn will get my money.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  14. q_mi_4_3

That is what is being said. They may support kb/m with the menu, but then can have the whole gameplay be design for a gamepad.

15. pine

pine Official Photography Thread Appreciator

Hey, I was just thinking the same thing.

16. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

It may be sad commentary on the state of mainstream PC gaming, but I'm certainly glad they're doing it and wish more developers would join them.

17. q_mi_4_3

So its ok to let them tell PC gamers they should beg harder? Cause thats what it comes down to.

18. q_mi_4_3

Well I try to do no more than someone's spam account.