1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bone_weapon: No weapon in-game!!

Discussion in 'General and Off Topic' started by -Tj-, Mar 26, 2006.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- New Member

A recent skin pack project I've been working on with classmates has yielded an annoying problem: weapons do not show up in the characters' hands.

To be more clear, we're using default UT2003 rigs and custom models. Maya is what we're using as our modeling and exporting software. At least for my model, all the default bones are present, and the weapon bone is apparently correctly named as Bone_weapon, when checked in UEd.

I've researched this subject and the only solution (that didn't work) was to rename the [0] socket "Bone_weapon". The problem persists.

Is there something I should be looking for, or something I missed? I can't post the model yet, as it's a collaborative project not yet ready for release, but any ideas anyone might have to solve this would be excellent.

2. Turret 49

Turret 49 Doomer at heart

Maya converts spaces to underscores automaticaly, but the exporter probably changes underscores into spaces while exporting.

The thing is, the bone named "Bone_weapon" is supposed to have an underscore. One way of going around it (I'm just going to say what 3D Buzz did in the video lessons) is to rename the bone "BoneWeapon" in Maya, and do the same with the two sockets in UEd.

I hope that helped.

3. Vailias

Vailias New Member

click the show bone names button in the ued anim browser, and check your weapon bone's name. Then be sure the weapon socket (socket [0] usually) is set to that bone. ALSO BE SURE TO UPDATE THE SOCKETS. The little dropdown box at the top of the socket menu, one says update, the other is continuous update. Either turn continuous update to true, or be sure to select true from 'update sockets' before you save and quit unreal ed or your socket/bone changes will not be saved, and so the weapon will still not show.

4. -Tj-

-Tj- New Member

Ok, I'll give what both of you've said a shot. I'll let you know what happened

thanks!

5. -Tj-

-Tj- New Member

I figured it out. It's really weird... there's different information all over the place, and the only one that actually WORKED was to change the BoneName for sockets [0] and [1] to "Bone Weapon", and, of course, setting ContinuousUpdate to True. ApplyNewSockets didn't want to set itself to True, so I'm assuming that works only for new skeletons.

So it needs to be renamed to "Bone Weapon" (space between the two words)

Thanks for your help, guys. :)

6. Turret 49

Turret 49 Doomer at heart

ApplyNewSockets is supposed to revert back to False. :p It's basically a save button for the sockets. (I think you'd still have to save the .ukx file, though)

7. Vailias

Vailias New Member

Right. You have to make the socket bone name match the actual bone name. So if there is a space in the name, either from the exporter, or the actual name in the skeleton. Spaces require the quotes around the name, whereas underscores do not need them since its a continuous string of characters.

This error has to be one of the most common in setting up a character for unreal.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- New Member

Ok, just for clarification, then... I understand that the ActorX exporter can convert underscores to spaces, and now I understand that the BoneName in UEd has to match the actual bone name in the program doing the exporting.

So for example, if I have Bone_Weapon in Maya, and export it to UEd as a .PSK, then in UEd, the BoneName should be Bone Weapon, since the underscore was converted to a space?

So if that's the case, then I'm also guessing that the actual name of the bone doesn't necessarily have to be Bone Weapon, and could be something like WeaponBone or Hand For Weapon, so long as the names match between Maya (or MAX or XSI) and UEd, and they're in their appropriate sockets? (Socket [0] for weapon, Socket [1] for flag)

If I'm correct in my guesses, it suddenly makes a lot of sense...