1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UE3 - UT3 Bone Locations on Skeletal Meshes

Discussion in 'Modeling & Skinning' started by frost0fractal, Oct 18, 2008.

1. frost0fractal

frost0fractal Frost0Fractal

So I discovered this messing around today and thought it would be useful...

I found that you can see where Epic placed every bone in all of their skeletal meshes...

Simply find one in any package you like, double click to open it. Then go to Mesh->Socket Manager

This will bring up a window showing you all sockets that have been created that will be used in code (not too useful... yet)

If you click New Socket... it will then bring up a dialog that asks you which bone you would like to create one at... This is your full bone list for that mesh...

Now to see where one of these bones is, select one, then give this socket you are making a name, and presto, the socket will appear at the exact location of the bone you selected, so you can see where the bone was placed and how it was oriented...

(I'm using this to see how the various suspension systems are set up on vehicles)

2. Nioxin

Nioxin New Member

Wouldn't it be much easier while in the Unreal AnimSet Editor. to just go to the menu:
    View --> Show Skeleton
    and
    View --> Show Bone Names

This gives you the entire skeletalmesh, bone names and orientation.

Also, for looking at vehicle constraints on bones, load up the Physics Asset through UnrealPhAT and cycle through all the joints and see how the collision works with certain parts.

Just a thought.