1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UT3 Boilerplate, MSU, Art Mod

Discussion in 'Content Releases' started by Drachis, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Drachis

Drachis New Member

A complete art mod for Unreal Tournament 3 delivered in the form of a steam punk VCTF level.
    This mod was created at school as a project on our mod team over the last 6 months, it contains over 200 custom assets which I would like to encourage you to use in your maps. This is our submission to the Make Something Unreal contest, I hope you like it.
    Requires UT3 to be patched up to 1.3

Available by torrent in two flavors
    Unpublished map + Goodies,
    Published map

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  2. jabo1SFH

jabo1SFH New Member

screens look nice, but where are the seeds????

:D

3. Thrallala

Thrallala Wait, if you're here then that means...

Looks pretty cool, very kind of you to let other mappers use your assets for their own maps.

4. jabo1SFH

jabo1SFH New Member

seed please!!!

:D

5. DarkSonny

DarkSonny Beware!

Hey man can you provide us another source download option im triyng to seeding but is at this moment few people seeding...

Anyway great atmosphere your vctf map! only stay to playing it and I will get an opinion for this map...

6. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

If someone can get this up on a real mirror, I'll be glad to post the news on the front page.

7. Firefly

Firefly United Kingdom is not a country.

Torrent's not the way to do things here.
    Please provide a download link.
    filefront are good and free

looks amazing though

8. Drachis

Drachis New Member

The uncooked version of the map exceeded the limits that filefront has, so only the cooked version is up there.

Download on FileFront

Didn't realize torrent weren't the way to go, just tried to think of the easyist way to toss about large files and they popped first.I'll hand the files off too a few more members of the team so we have more seeds around, at the moment I'm the only one seeding which is why things are so slow, that should change by this evening if anyone still wants to go the torrent route.

9. Sjosz

Sjosz (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

When you are releasing the final build of your level you should really only have to release the cooked build. Then use the uncooked build to make a PS3 compatible cooked build and release that.
    Unless, of course, you encourage people to use the custom content of that level, in which case you could make it into a proper separate UPK for distribution.

10. DarkSonny

DarkSonny Beware!

OK i have seen inside this map, is really a promotional map for users or mappers that could be interested in used those content as said Sjosz could be better in separate files in UPK mode ( never mind is not a problem for see this map :) ). Its a 350~mb filesize huge, lol!

Anyway if you are thinking entering in 2nd msuc phase for ut3, Im not a mapper with all respect for you, due to that huge effort in creating that beautifull stuff, great atmosphere, lightning too overall, unless the inside building where is the vials alongside that steam cilinder machine ( light a bit rare...), this map gives me few framerates ( I have a ATI Sapphire 3870 with 512mb at 776 mhz core gpu ). I had to reduce the graphics settings to a middle world texture, no bloom and no hardware physics but the perfomance is hard to improve ( I crashed three times at mid game).

Are you thinking in improve this map if you are thinking to participate in 2nd phase? This map would be great with those defensive and offensive routes to get the flag...

Great content mappers who will use it wiil appreciate your great job and nice meshes

11. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Yeah, I'll echo that sentiment.

Just to make it clear to everyone else: this is not a map in which you'll want to play a game. Download it to look around or to use the custom pieces. I just crack double digits in most of the map and it's quite easy to get outside of the play area.

Too bad because it could have been quite playable as well.

12. Firefly

Firefly United Kingdom is not a country.

Major props for all the work you've put it. Must have taken some time.
    Once you get that UPK done then more mappers will grab it and you'll see them pop up in other maps.

I'm downloading the cooked version to have a look:D
    thanks again

13. Drachis

Drachis New Member

So your framerate....

Regarding the issues with the frame rate currently there isn't very much texture optimization going on in the map and I haven't set up the separate sections to stream in and out as they change visibility so (sadly) I didn't expect it to run very well out side our labs :/

I'll go though and optimize textures and setup level streaming and fix up the blocking volumes so you can't escape the map. Should make it playable across the board and drastically improve frame rates.

--
    tried to make all the content into a single package (~1200 items).... the editor didn't want to save it so I'll make each of the individual packages non-codependent so they can be used separately in maps. I don't think that making all the content into a single pack is the way to go, it seems like an unnecessary strain on a machine since it would be about 2 GB and a pain to load

--
    Since lighting is about a 5 hour bake I'm in no hurry to relight . I will take some time on sat and see if I can make the lighting feel a bit more realistic in all the regions about the map but no promises in that regard.

14. LtClifff

LtClifff New Member

Cool! Glad to see you are taking time to improve this. I haven't downloaded yet but it is very tempting. I will wait for a playable version.