1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Body Armor

Discussion in 'New Version Suggestions' started by Harpoon, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Harpoon

Harpoon New Member

Damn I got this all wrong. So you guys are saying that subguns, etc.. where never suppose to go toe to toe with assault rifles? I guess with the FAMAS in there will be a good high rate of fire compact assault rifle in the INF armory to further compete with the subguns/shotties.

2. asmodeus

asmodeus DB addict

/me want 9mm ap for his m9

pleaseeeeeeeeeee:D

3. poaw

poaw You used to sleep easy at night.

Exact-a-fucking mundo

SMGs are for people who desire superior handling and compactness over firepower and range. Considering that only people who would be trying to avoid a fight would sacrifice firepower and range, it kinda hints to you what you should be using a SMG for.

4. St0rmcaller

St0rmcaller [AFA]'s unoffical godfather

[harpoon] Wow. I'm really not sure how to take this. All I can say, is this. If Marines were regular troops, we wouldn't be called the Marines.

[general INF polulation] I'll admit, recent events that have involved the Marines in engagements have been utter BS, and it seems most people do not understand the role that their Marine Corps plays for them. They tend to think that the Marines are there to waste their time in horse**** peace missions. We are not to be used as a police force. There is a reason why the UN charter does not allow US Marines to wear those silly blue helmets (besides the fact that none of us would wear them. We would be out of uniform :D)
    US Marines exist only to kill people and blow things up. Oh, and don't forget about Toys for Tots. :p

It amazes me how over period of peace, people so often forget the purpose of war.

Sorry harpoon, not all this is directed at you, I just started ranting. Just apply the first paragraph to your statement. Sorry, dude. :D

Last edited: Aug 9, 2001
  5. Kuroshio Apocal

Kuroshio Apocal Sucka Free

Yeah, I agree Storm. Too many people think the military's objective is to hand out candy to smiling kiddies and keep their parents from each other's throats and not to (gasp of shock!) actually fight wars.

6. Elite_Soldier

Elite_Soldier -Malice-

Well, just like in real life, some things will just own in INF. That includes body armor. If you chose a surpressed MP5, with regular ammunition so you can rush, too bad when you run into that fully armoured guy around the corner. You'll get waxed, and rightfully so. Most soldiers in reality carry assault rifles anyways, and the main function of submachine guns are maneuverability. And Navy SEALS will hit heads when they are under the cover of darkness, or are unexpected. And it is true, in outdoor environments, SEALS and other special forces would usually use assault rifles. And in reality, yes, they are superior in almost every way. More stopping power, higher accuracy, ability to cut through body armor. Disadvantage; low maneuverability.

And players won't be able to jump around crazily and strafe in later versions (probably next one).

Realistically speaking, and assault rifle user with armor going toe to toe with sub machine gun user, should win 99/100 times, the 1 time being when the submachine gun user chooses different ammo :p

7. St0rmcaller

[edit] Stormcaller is supreme lord commander of the moron brigade. Ignore this reply.

8. Elite_Soldier

Elite_Soldier -Malice-

Quick edit St0rmcaller :)

I already saw your glaring mistake though :D You put poaw as the perpetrator.

9. St0rmcaller

Hush, dammit! Oh, god dammit. You guys are evil!:D

Deny everything. Thats what I should have done! Where is your evidence!

Sorry poaw, I did misquote you. I apologize. Corrections are made, and reparations are in the form of much booze and prostitutes.:D

10. Harpoon

Harpoon New Member

K guys I learned my lesson... I realize now that I was arguing against myself. :)

On the Marine note, I saw a program a while ago, something like Operation Urban Warfare, about how the future of enemies of the United States, knowing that they can not fight the US in the open because they will be decimated by Americas superior Mechanized ability, will stick to cities and stuff that the US can't bomb with their Air Force ("Blowing the living **** out of defenceless foreigners since 1913"©) because of the risk of massive non combatant losses. They did a massive training exercise where marines cleared out apartment structures, a hectic process where the lights are out (NVG required) and the conditions are cramped, with slow and painfull room by room clearing, stairways being the most dangerous, etc...

In the end results it was calculated that the troops would have taken 80% casualties, most of which would have been freindly fire.

Which really makes you think. If I'm a Bad Guy, I can simply hide under a bed with my AK covering the door, and unless the room clearers frag EVERY ROOM there is no way that the first guy going through that door can avoid getting shot.

11. <P^R>Imperial

<P^R>Imperial Bleh

Inf should have the option in game of donating a toy to a needy child and getting a extra clip of ammo from your CO who was so touched by your nice gesture :D

12. Harpoon

Harpoon New Member

Heh....

Hand Grenade = Virtual Pet on a Keychain

Plastique/C4 Explosive = Play-Do

The list goes on :)

13. St0rmcaller

Getting this way off topic here... OFW!

There are major problems with urban warfare. The primary problem, is the defenders have a gargantuan advantage of knowledge of terrain. And thus can use it best against the attackers. The corps is still trying to develop the best tactics to be used in urban environments. We call it the Three Block War.

And I still say body armor sucks! Too complicated! :D

14. Cholo Grande

Cholo Grande New Member

I agree... especialy the levels of defense. A little too complicated.

People get so obsessed that EVERY tiny detail of the game be realistic. I thought the object was fun. I would always let the realism go when it impeded smoothe gameplay.

15. Elite_Soldier

Elite_Soldier -Malice-

There was an article recently on CNN that outlined plans for the US army to being training troops for urban combat, which is becoming increasingly frequent. I'll try to find a link for you. It had great pictures too. 21st century combat seems to revolve alot around CQB and urban combat it seems...

16. c+k|nEVeRmOre

c+k|nEVeRmOre ~A.K.A. wesley_sniper~

The <a href="http://www.exponent.com/practices/techdev/landwarrior/system.html">Land Warrior</a> combat system is supposed to help in CQB situations by allowing the soldier to look around corners using only his weapon, since it can have NVS, daytime camera or a Thermal Imaging Sight which displays in a monocular hud. He basically only has to expose his hands (at most) by putting his gun around the corner, thereby limiting exposure to enemy/friendly fire. The Army hopes to have this system in full production in two years. They have already been testing it for years. Right now they are working on reducing the size of some of the components and making the battery last longer :) Unfortunately, I doubt we will ever see this in INF, though :p

17. St0rmcaller

Yup, it seems the army really wants to take the "grunt" out of grunt work. Sometimes I feel sorry for my brothers in the army.

18. Puncher

Puncher AFA member

Standard procedure in assaulting a house is to frag every room, and this has been for a long time, at least since WWII. For instance, Russian SOP was "Always go into a room with two people: first your grenade, then you."

Also there are much more effective ways than hiding under a bed. The machine gun covering a hallway through a tiny hole in the wall from the next room, the hole in the wall hidden underneath a chair or similar works much better.

19. Harpoon

Harpoon New Member

Although the shrapnel is the thing that kills in a frag, wouln't detonating explosives in every room severley damage the structure?

20. asmodeus

asmodeus DB addict

who cares?

you can't do war without breaking things:)