Boba Fett/Mandalorian UT2004

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

nazareth316

The Mandalorian
Aug 25, 2004
I've seen the model for the older Unreal Tournament, but i have yet to see it done for UT2004.

Does anyone think they can direct me to a site where i can download Boba for UT2004, or how i can convert old UT models to UT2004, or is someone going to make a new Boba model? Or can someone tell me how to convert JKA or JK2 files to UT2004?

StoopidKwestion

Aug 3, 2004
Don't know much about the editing of JKA or JK2, but assuming you can get the mesh out of there, it really isn't that hard to attach it to a stock skeleton and animations. Dubious in terms of copyright though.... very dubious.

I have been practising a few model conversions myself, converting UT2003 models over to UT2004. It's relatively easy, since you don't actually need to model or rig the mesh. Then, I tried a few homebuilt meshes, and sorted out how to do that. Again, once I had the trick of it, it was fairly simple. Now, all I need to do is make some PROPER meshes, build 'em and then I can release something!

Inspiration has proved harder to find than solutions to teh technical problems...

nazareth316

The Mandalorian
Aug 25, 2004
StoopidKwestion said:
Don't know much about the editing of JKA or JK2, but assuming you can get the mesh out of there, it really isn't that hard to attach it to a stock skeleton and animations. Dubious in terms of copyright though.... very dubious.

I have been practising a few model conversions myself, converting UT2003 models over to UT2004. It's relatively easy, since you don't actually need to model or rig the mesh. Then, I tried a few homebuilt meshes, and sorted out how to do that. Again, once I had the trick of it, it was fairly simple. Now, all I need to do is make some PROPER meshes, build 'em and then I can release something!

Inspiration has proved harder to find than solutions to teh technical problems...

Im taking a program after school for that teaches me how to do that sorta stuff so i'll probably learn as well.

Do you plan on doing a Boba Fett model?

nazareth316

The Mandalorian
Aug 25, 2004
Yea i havent had much luck finding a Boba Fett model for UT2004 :(

Anyone thinking of taking on the project?

StoopidKwestion

Aug 3, 2004
OK...why not!

I had planned on doing some old 2000AD 'ABC Warrior' models, but I can't find much by way of references. This might make an easier first project for a player model...something a LOT easier to get references for!

nazareth316

The Mandalorian
Aug 25, 2004
StoopidKwestion said:
OK...why not!

I had planned on doing some old 2000AD 'ABC Warrior' models, but I can't find much by way of references. This might make an easier first project for a player model...something a LOT easier to get references for!

Oh awesome man! :D Cant wait!

StoopidKwestion

Aug 3, 2004
Done the head....working down the neck :)

Will try to get some pics posted later on today...but I can't guarantee...got the 'in-laws' over to stay for a couple of days, and I can't sit here and model without ...er...suffering the consequences later ;)

hell hath no fury like a womans parents scorned ;)

nazareth316

The Mandalorian
Aug 25, 2004
StoopidKwestion said:
Done the head....working down the neck :)

Will try to get some pics posted later on today...but I can't guarantee...got the 'in-laws' over to stay for a couple of days, and I can't sit here and model without ...er...suffering the consequences later ;)

hell hath no fury like a womans parents scorned ;)

lol hey no problem.

Thanks for takin up the project too, i really cant thank you enough.

StoopidKwestion

Aug 3, 2004
bobastage1.jpg

So far...so good :)

Body armour needs work, which is why it isn't textured yet. How's it looking?

nazareth316

The Mandalorian
Aug 25, 2004
StoopidKwestion said:
bobastage1.jpg

So far...so good :)

Body armour needs work, which is why it isn't textured yet. How's it looking?

that is VERY impressive :O. Not only is that a great model, but if you added it to a website like skin-city it'd prove to be a great and much needed addition to anyone's UT2004 collection. Excellent job bro.

If you dont mind, can i speak to you on AIM? My AIM is TheRevolver420

StoopidKwestion

Aug 3, 2004
OK Boba has a body now :) I used the hands from a stock Epic model, and borrowed sections of the legs ( never could do hips properly!!! ) and got the rest built up over the weekend. Just need to finish off the arms and do Boba's jetpack now. Then comes the big test...whether or not the mesh is going to deform correctly :) I noticed Epic used seperate model chunks in key places to avoid too much deformation on joints, and I have copied tht approach as much as possible. Hopefully, I got it right.

nazareth316

The Mandalorian
Aug 25, 2004
Oh ok man, awesome. I love the model so far and cant wait till you're done. But just one suggestion. Your skin has the blast dent on both sides of Boba's helmet. Its only on the left side. Other that that, excellent job, i love it.

StoopidKwestion

Aug 3, 2004
Arrghh....that'll teach me to mirror the textures ;) I will fix that. He's got a lot more 'body' to him now as well. I pinched the hands from a stock UT2004 model ( saves a lot of work ) and based the upper legs / groin area on a stock model too, so credit to Epic for that! They did a very efficient job of modelling, and I don't think I could have improved on it ;)

nazareth316

The Mandalorian
Aug 25, 2004
Whats Epic? <_<

Lol im a real dork for noticing that blast mark :S. I guess thats because in most comics that skip all the blast detail, they make sure to get that one mark on his helmet, so i thought that held some importance *shrug*

Again, i love the job you're doing and im eternally grateful.

StoopidKwestion

Aug 3, 2004
Things have been a bit slow for the last week. Been a bad week. Wifes grandmother dies the day before her 95th Birthday....old lady next door gets burgled....and I am busy looking for a new job...

Apart from that....well....the weatherhas tirned s**t.

Normal service will be resumed shortly ;)

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
Just stumbled upon the thread, sorry to hear about your recent short fallings!

I just wanted to make one suggestion, from a skinning point of view it's always good to mirror as few points as possible unless there is no concievable reason not too. It makes for more original skins, most user made ones aren't symmetrical.

That's aassuming you don't min people making more skins for it when it's releasewd, otherwise it looks good man, nice work!