1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[bma] Recruitment Drive!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bad.Mojo, Aug 25, 2001.

1. Wikkan

Wikkan Dickhead Fulfilled!

Well thats one persons beliefs. If you can get others to believe the same, Phatcat, good on you. That's part of what mojo has going here, aside from this group also being for fun.

2. Farouk

Farouk Adept

Ok, I am not out.

I didn't even read that text and I have run the search after Rogue Leader said it wasn't a word, because I was pretty sure it was one. It's quite common in German language, so I didn't get it from that article.
    It's the first obvious entry when you search for "fascistoid" on yahoo.com. That doesn't proof anything but it indicates that my version of this story is probably true.

To get from this irrelevant theories about eachother's motivations back to my point: fascistoid methods (read that not again as "Bad.Mojo resembles a fascist.". Thank you. Bad.Mojo, in your last thread you were so nitpicky about the finer differences in language, why not this time?)

Jaunty's posted defintion of fascism pointed out that using terror is a part of it. I would define Bad.Mojo's aproach on the n00b-problem as terror. I don't like it but I can live with that.
    Though building this BMA is some kind of problem for me, as it shows so much which also can be found in fascism: "In unity we are strong"-thinking, a tag everybody has to wear. As Cunubelin said it too, I am not the only one who is reminded of the Nazis by all this.

The BMA is builded to discipline the forum with the use of some kind of psycho terror and to deter the other thinking by showing the force of a unity of many, isn't it?
    (and it is psycho terror you are trying to do here, Bad.Mojo. Think of the phatcat-crusade)

I think that is justification enough to call the whole BMA idea fascistoid. And quite frankly, your idea of free speech is a farce, Bad.Mojo. Free speech means you are able to say everything without fearing any reprisals at all by anyone.
    Solely how I was treated by you in this thread is already in violation with that. You tried to intimidate me by trying to make me rediculous (for example with the syntax comment). And I even came away pretty well as I wasn't attacked that hard. Other people on this forum had less luck.

Edit: correcting (I hope) some syntax and adding small explanation.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2001
  3. phatcat

phatcat akward cat

thats what my fear is, that this BMA is just going to be a brute squad of fourm go'ers to pick on the weak and push there opinion on others. Mean... Its very hard to for me at least to trust someone who flames one week, and then claims they want to help the community :hmm:

4. DeadeyeDan[ToA]

DeadeyeDan[ToA] de oppresso liber

"Free speech means you are able to say everything without fearing any reprisals at all by anyone."

Riiiiight... so your definition of free speech is denying free speech to others? Interesting.

"To get from this irrelevant theories about eachother's motivations back to my point: fascistoid methods (read that not again as "Bad.Mojo resembles a fascist.". Thank you. Bad.Mojo, in your last thread you were so nitpicky about the finer differences in language, why not this time?)"

Probably because either way, you have yet to support your claim. No, I don't think associating the BMA with ONE word in the definition of fascism is adequate support:

-Every army in the world uses terror to some extent. Would you say any group even resembling a military is fascistoid?

-The only terror the BMA can use is fear of public humiliation, in an open forum where everyone can express themselves freely (kinda like how someone running for office in a democracy might point out his opposition's mistakes in a debate, in order to make his opposition less popular). Fascists use the fear of death, inprisonment, bodily harm, etc. to silence opposition, and thus deny them that open forum.

""In unity we are strong"-thinking, a tag everybody has to wear. As Cunubelin said it too, I am not the only one who is reminded of the Nazis by all this."

Again, these are traits of all armies; uniforms, and teamwork... I fail to see the link with fascism.

5. MJACK

MJACK New Member

Mojo, I remember you saying a while back that the one thing you couldn't stand was hypocrites. Well, it should come as no suprise that you are a huge hypocrite yourself; after all, a sure sign of hypocrisy is hating hypocrites while being one yourself. You call anyone who exercises any power on a private forum a fascist, yet it's unexcusable for Farouk to say that the BMA has traces of fascism in it (which has some validity in it). You make posts filled with slurs and homosexual insults, yet Funkstylz is a skinhead because he called you f<i></i>ag mojo. You start an organization to rid the forum of newbies, and then, in the very same post, attack a forum veteran who's kept a low profile, only makes productive posts, and can get his thoughts across clearly despite English not being his first language. You seem to think your Charles fu<i></i>cking Dickens just because you can come up with amusing, vulgar, and verbose insults. I hate to break it to you, though you <i>can</i> write rather well (the 1984 post, the existence post on the old forum, and the recent women post come to mind), you are not <i>that</i> skilled a writer, and I doubt you will get half a mill advance, much less anyone to publish your book, which I seem to remember is about a hitman, undoubtedly an invincible, wisecracking, badass. It is apparent that you rip into people is not because you are a champion of free speech or they have done some unforgivably bad thing, but just because you get a kick out of insulting and fighting with people. When anyone slightly disagrees with you, even someone that you like on the forums such as Keiichi or Zundfolge, you'll go off on them. In many posts, you are merely a troll who knows how to write. I expect a slew of insults directed at me about how I lack English skills, how I am unrefutably wrong, and other baseless insults involving my mother and such, topped off with how you are a forum legend who is loved by all the vets, and a 7 foot badass in real life who gets laid all the time.

6. OpFor

OpFor Feeling suicide, thats O.K.

BMA probably won't push people around, because

1) The presentation basicly said "BMA trys to influence, and if not, drive out" meaning if the "influencing" is flaming, it would just become "driving out" and I'm pretty sure Mojo, or other leaders wouldn't let that happen. BMA just probably *seems* bad and brutish to you because Mojo was posting about it [no offense Mojo]. I'm sure most of the people not supporing it would love it if Dank Budz, or any other well known community member posted this.

7. Farouk

Farouk Adept

DeadEyeDan, yes, of course I think every organized army has fascistoid structures in it. That already starts with one of its basics, the command chain. The army is some kind of small dictatorship in itself.

A clear command chain in which the lowest people don't have any influence on descisions above their rank (and may it just by electing the higher ranked people) is called dictatorship in a civil (as in not military) measurement. Soldiers must not hesitate to follow a valid order. They also can't just quit instantly if they don't want to follow etc. but they will get their punishment for not following orders.
    = fascistoid structures, if you like it or not. Personally I don't like military forces (or any long time organized force).
    But again: Don't read that as "All soldiers are fascists."

To freedom of speech: Sometime I read something about the difference between "free speech and cheap talk." in a signature on this forum. Bad.Mojo used cheap talk in this thread (and no, this time I don't mean the BMA idea but the personal attacks).

Freedom of speech requires some sense of responsibility from everyone to work best. Here goes the same old "Just because you can do something ...".

I never have said (nor do I want) Bad.Mojo to shut up or even to be banned (although I think Wikkan might wanted me to run into that trap when he asked about my power to stop Bad.Mojo).
    I don't have much against Bad.Mojo as an individual, but I think a unity of several "Bad.Mojos" might slip out of hand pretty fast. (Therefor the book suggestion "The Wave" in which a social experiment about nazism slips out of hand)

In the end Bad.Mojo and I just want the same: A better forum. Eachone's focus is just on different matters and we have differences in our choice of methods.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2001
  8. Cunubelin

Cunubelin Absens haeres non erit (Soccerdad)

fascist, fascistoid what does it matter?

You say that your methods are not fascistic in nature.
    All you have to do is to read through this thread to see that that is in fact exactly what they are.
    If you do not fit into the mold you will be attacked. Hung, drawn and quartered i believe is the closest description available.
    And if the poor wretch who is the target of these acts of terror hasn't got enough mental capacity to stand up against these attacks you will more than likely destroy a newbie rather than convert a no0b.

No, you just like to get high on other peoples misery.

And what about this comment about taking a rapist of the street to keep an innocent woman safe?
    Where does that fit in here??

Bad Mojo you're a fool. Well spoken, ahem, well you know how to use words anyways but you're still a fool.
    Why?
    Because you only see the first inch in front of your nose. You react, violently, to just about anything that does not fit into your protocol.
    Also your abrasive language might have a thing or two to do with this.
    Another reason is that you are trying to form a "thought police" much like Orwells' 1984. I don't have to tell you about that one do I?
    This is something you've resented since the very first time I noticed your posts back in the day when dinosaurs roamed these forums. (actually the old forums...)
    Every time some unfortunate moderator closed or deleted a post you were there on the ramparts waving the red flag trying to snag the bull.
    Now you'll say that you still don't want to delete posts or even close them. and that you believe in everyones right to state their opinion.
    That's good for you. You still don't believe in human rights though. You might claim that you do but you don't. How about everyones right not to be abused in any way?

I'm no saint, I'm sure I've done my fair share of belittling or dissing but not nearly close enough to your scale. Your massive attacks plus all the follow-ons by your fanclub is a formidable weapon in the truest sense of the word.

No, all you want to do is to beat the perpetrator to the electronic equivalent of a pulp.

You are, in other words, a fool with fascistoid ideals.

Farouk - Yep, you're right. I'm not even the second target for this brownshirt mob...

Bad Mojo - With your intelligence you could be the greatest role model of these forums. Unfortunately your abusive personality makes this damn near impossible.
    Time and again you pop up with posts that are totally hilarious or thought provoking or both.
    Then when someone thinks anything in your posts is poop and says so you pick up the Hammer of War and we have a mighty battle where limbs are torn from limbs and wounds that are difficult to heal are inflicted by all parties.

I'm sure you will find faults in this post and point them out in gory detail and that stings.

Yes, words can and DOES hurt.

Peace
    C.

9. vedder

vedder See This Needle? See my arm...

i guess i'm a nazi.... mom will be so proud:rolleyes:

10. Waxx

Waxx Ultralight pilot

New rank smilies done by yours truly! Each smily shown has its own seperate version for use in signatures or avatars.

11. DeadeyeDan[ToA]

DeadeyeDan[ToA] de oppresso liber

"DeadEyeDan, yes, of course I think every organized army has fascistoid structures in it. That already starts with one of its basics, the command chain. The army is some kind of small dictatorship in itself."

That's a good point, but that's a completely different situation; if it's voluntary, you're the one deciding to have restrictions. I wouldn't be surprised if Mojo expected BMA members to uphold some standards, but they volunteered to uphold them. In fascism, people are forcibly suppressed.

"Sometime I read something about the difference between "free speech and cheap talk." in a signature on this forum. Bad.Mojo used cheap talk in this thread (and no, this time I don't mean the BMA idea but the personal attacks)."

Just because you read soemthing, doesn't make it true. Free speech should be unconditional. And did everyone else use cheap talk, too? I still haven't seen mojo attack someone without being provoked first, so I don't see why you're singling him out.

"If you do not fit into the mold you will be attacked."

"poor wretch who is the target of these acts of terror"

"You react, violently, to just about anything that does not fit into your protocol."

I could go on and on with quotes like these from your last post, Cunubelin, but I don't see anything in there that gives me a reason to believe them. I haven't seen this happen... it may, but it seems to me the main targets of the BMA won't be "poor wretches who just didn't fit the mold and agree with Mojo", they'll be flaming idiots who just want to stir up **** (FrostH8su, for example).

12. CyanideTriscuit

CyanideTriscuit UScript hack

Now we have "ranks" to go along with the "army." I for one find this more than a little disturbing. Having the main symbol of a supposedly friendly n00b conversion group be the mean frownie face doesn't help either. I doubt that someone as flame-prone as mojo will be able to successfully lead a group with such lofty ideals. As always, time will tell.

13. RogueLeader

RogueLeader Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"

Who said anything about "friendly"? It's an army.

14. Waxx

Waxx Ultralight pilot

Lol Rogue Leader

15. Cpt.Cypher

Cpt.Cypher I Go By Cypher Now

Don't the n00bs have fredom of speech?

16. Waxx

Waxx Ultralight pilot

Yes they do, we just want to stop them from posting idiotic things, etc etc.

17. RogueLeader

RogueLeader Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"

KILL THE N00BS!!!

Oops, Freudian slip...

18. Farouk

Farouk Adept

I also never said BMA actually will reign this forum like fascists under all circumstances. My first point (the book suggestion) was about that there is always a danger that this is happening. And through my discussion here my feeling that this will backfire has grown even further, because I got actual examples:
    So far everybody in BMA covers eachother (because they are friends or something) without really thinking about it when someone puts some critic on BM or the BMA.
    I have seen only one person in this thread who partly agreed and partly disagreed with me on this (If I did understand his post right). Noone of the BMA made the slightest try to really understand my point which was just a concern in the beginning. To quote Boxer from George Orwell's Animal Farm: "Comrade Napoleon is always right."

What happens if a BMA member likes and does something on these forums which is against BMA's ideals? You'll also find possible solutions in Animal farm:
    1) The member keeps his mouth shut in future. -> down the drain with freedom of speech
    2) His "misbehaviour" is gently ignored as long as possible, because as a BMA member he has some previleges.
    3) He is kicked out of BMA and becomes an enemy.

The third option is the only somewhat acceptable one but unfortunately the least probable one.
    Who decides who is a member anyway? As far as I can tell from this thread it's Bad.Mojos exclusive right, but that may expand on higher ranked members. I mean he's going for a ranking system. But I will wait to comment on the ranks until I see that "depending on enlistment and service record"- system in action. Hats off to Bad.Mojo if he actually should be able to pull that one of without friendship bonus. I know how difficult something like that is.

One last (very smartass) thing from me:
    "no rules", only requirements for the BMA: "Humility, a sense of humour, a sense of fun, and a general respect for other people." - Bad.Mojo
    Has Bad.Mojo here really shown more of these requirements than phatcat?
    Or was phatcat's membership denied because of purty but overall senseless pictures? Now that would be a valid reason, but then almost the whole userbase here should be out. I am one of the few exeptions of course. :D

Seriously Bad.Mojo, from here that phatcat denial looks like your first act of arbitrariness in your new role as a leader of the BMA:

"no rules" - "Humility, a sense of humour, a sense of fun, and a general respect for other people." - phatcat's membership denial - making new rules / requirements on the fly when confronted with new facts you don't like
    Think about it.

19. Cpt.Cypher

Cpt.Cypher I Go By Cypher Now

If they have freedom of speech they can post anything they like. Why would you need to form a team to get them to stop? All you need to do is post a message saying "This has been discussed, please do some reading through the forums next time instead of posting this."

20. Donnellizer

Donnellizer Fjæsing!

They can! But if someone makes a post saying:
    "This forum is GAY! I HATE YOU ALL! YOU CAN EAT MYCOAKAOCS!!! !!11!11 LoLOLOLOLLO!LlolOLOoLooL~!1 jrotlifg pofidsoieijremf03

Then we will tell them not to do that (as a way of trying to get them to reform).. IF that doesn't work, we would have to take to more drastic methods.

You don't seem to get it.. They DO have free speech, but SO DO WE! We can use our free speech however we want! If we want to use our free speech to drive them off the boards (ONLY IN EXTREME CASES), then we have that right.. They wouldn't HAVE to leave, we wouldn't ban them. They exercised free choice, they would CHOOSE to leave. Get it through your thick skull.

:confused:
    What about a person's right to free speech?

Look, this is a message board.. Not real life. Maybe you need to take a little break if you're getting the two mixed up, ne?