1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Blacklight: Tango Down Reviews Roll In

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, Jul 14, 2010.

1. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Blacklight: Tango Down, the budget-minded UE3 shooter ($14.99) was released today on Steam and reviews are coming in, averaging 68.75% at GameRankings.

• Gamespot scores the game 7.5/10, praising the already-active multiplayer scene, decent maps and customizable weapon layouts. Meanwhile;
    • Eurogamer was less enthusiastic, giving it a 5/10, blasting the fixed spawn point system. The movement and generous amount of modes and maps, however, were highly praised.

2. Nereid

Nereid ・ ω ・

I heard you couldn't join a game after it started.

3. xMurphyx

xMurphyx New Member

I played the 60 minute demo on xbla and while the art was quite alright the game was the most uninspired first-person-shooter I have played in quite a while. I see literally no reason to pick this over any other shooter.

If it was a mod it would be great and it would deserve praise for being made so professionally and maybe even for capturing this generic commercial game style, as weird as that sounds. But as an actual commercial game... meh.

4. Sjosz

Sjosz (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I don't know, I got it and find it pretty enjoyable. The level design for the multiplayer levels that I've played so far (not all of them) is pretty great.

5. [NBK]Rattman

[NBK]Rattman Goo God

is there a dedicated server for it??

or does it use xbox style matchmaking?

6. Majik

Majik blargh

7. xMurphyx

xMurphyx New Member

If the whole game is only 15$ what kind of DLC should they put out for it? They can't put up free updates because Microsoft won't let them so they'll have to offer 5$ or 10$ updates. That's almost as much as the whole game cost!
    If they bring out a full-fledged sequel for about the price of a bit more than a DLC pack or two that's better for the players, isn't it?

Especially when the game has so little to offer (not in terms of content but in terms of what makes the game special) so most people are probably going to jump ship soon anyway. So it's either DLC for a couple of die hards (who are probably broke anyway or they wouldn't have picked up Blacklight just because it's only 15 bucks :p. j/k. No need to be overly negative) or a sequel to rope in everyone again.

Doesn't seem that odd to me.

8. Hyrage

Hyrage New Member

The game is fun, but there are various issues.

The maps visually looks good, but I found the visual composition of the levels to be pretty messy. The Level Design is good (if not considering the fixed spawn point that are killing the game), but really feel artifical. The gameplay assets do not blend with the environment at all. To me, it's like if a bunch of kids placed a few assets everywhere to make the maps more playable.

That messy composition gave a headache to some people...

Because the spawn points are fixed are the maps way too small - that game won't be played much. It's always about Spawn Killing... it's boring.

Plus, as you rank up, all weapons become way too powerful and at a certain level, pretty much all weapons are the same and the sniper rifles are totally useless.

On the other hand, the HUDs and menus are among the worst I've seen. There is no way I can tell when I'm trying to upgrade my weapon, what the symbol means. Does it boost my Fire Rate or Fire Power? Does it boost my accuracy, range or running speed?

Looking at the time they had to develop the game, the number of employees, the engine they used and that they already have some experience with the Engine... Blacklight Tango Down is a bit refreshing as a FPS game, but looks like a waste of time.

It didn't deliver the overall AAA quality, but it visually looks like it.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  9. Kyllian

Kyllian if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;

Whats this recent obsession with the XM8 or weapons based off of it's design?
    That project died off 5 years ago before it even got any headway. The closest you can get to an XM8 now is the G36 which looks better to me

Anyway, gameplay looks interesting, but I don't see much that's new
    It'd be nice if there was a demo to try out

10. Fuzzle

Fuzzle spam noob

Giantbomb has a quicklook of it which is about as close as you'll get to a demo, I guess.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-blacklight-tango-down/17-2881/

I'll have to agree when people say they don't see the reason to pick this up instead of any other shooter. If they're intending the low price to be it's "thing" (other than mosaic grenades), you're limiting your audience to those who are oblivious to the fact that you can get the older battlefields/cod's for less and quakes for free.

11. hal

Digital Extremes tried something a few years back... remember WarPath anyone?

12. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

That was the sequel to Pariah, wasn't it ?

I think if the developers are using this arcade-release of their game as a marketingtool then developing a sequel after the initial batch of numbers are in isn't odd.
    I think EA or another publisher had a similar idea (ie : quick&dirty cheap games as a demo for a 'sequel')
    //

Why play an old cheap game that may not have any servers (EA killed a few servers for old Battlefield or something recently) when you can play a new game that will have busy servers (at least the few days after release) ?

13. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

Battlefield 1943 is still going strong ;)

14. Fuzzle

Fuzzle spam noob

Tango Down has 300 or so concurrent users at peak hours world-wide. Quake Live has thousands within ping-friendly range. I play battlefield 2142 on and off and have no problems finding servers there, and I think that's one of the less popular battlefields.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  15. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

You're probably looking at the pc-gamers ... and then you'd be right as there's so many cheap and free fps's that it isn't funny.
    Console-gamers otoh don't have many alternatives so I'd expect them to be the real target. The pc-version is a mere bonus.
    (I guess it's not "consolized" unless people know there's a console-version out there ;))

16. Darkdrium

Darkdrium 20% Cooler

And that's not a problem, if your game is WipEout HD (20$) and your DLC is WipEout HD Fury (10$).
    They could have very well done the same thing, instead of making a separate sequel to the game. If they have hardcore fans, the fans would have bought it without question (Just like if you have WipEout HD but not WipEout HD Fury you're pretty much alone in that group.)
    I don't know how much content there is in that game, but if they doubled it (Like HD and Fury) well they can charge that 5$ or 10$ price, because it's worth it.
    If all they did was put on silly costumes and skins though, like a lot of DLCs are, then that's absolutely worthless and nobody would buy it for a game like Blacklight.

17. xMurphyx

xMurphyx New Member

I agree, definitely.
    I didn't mean to put the prospect of DLC costing as much as the game down, I was just trying to explain how making a sequel doesn't seem like such an odd idea.
    That the DLC would have to cost nearly as much as the game itself is only important in so far as it makes the idea of making a sequel instead even more valid.
    They have the choice of making another game for 15 bucks or make DLC for 15 bucks. If the game was 60$ and the sequel was 60$ the decision to go for 15$ worth of DLC would be different.

Looking back I can see how my above post could be understood wrong, as if I was arguing that releasing DLC that doesn't cost significantly less than its game was generally a bad idea, even for cheap games. I hope I got it across a little better now.

18. hal

It was a standalone budget shooter that was (most likely) built from abandoned Pariah 2 ideas utilizing the talents of a few freelance level designers.

19. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

If I ever see you spell Wipeout like that again, I'll rape every existing relative you could ever possibly have, and ever hope to have.

Now let's not mention the "PSP Wipeout" series ever again, ok?

Because it's really that bad.