1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Billboard displaying live feed

Discussion in 'Programming' started by akn81, Mar 2, 2002.

1. akn81

akn81 New Member

Hi there, I was wondering if it were possible for a wall to display a live feed of action going on in other parts of the level.

For example I can use Canvas.drawportal() and draw the viewport() of a bot on the player's screen, but what I want is to draw the viewport directly onto a wall.

Is that possible at all? I'm really at a loss how to go about editing the scripts to make that effect.

I'd appreciate any help!

2. aspie

aspie It's all good baby.

Download the latest version of Screen

3. usaar33

usaar33 Un1337

impossible without native code.

4. akn81

akn81 New Member

Screen?? What do you mean?

and by native code do you mean changing part of the game engine?

5. LedZep

LedZep k last title kinda gay :p

native code = complicated and low leveled C++ code (very complex, it is used in UT b/c it doesnt take that much of the CPU speed. tell you the truth, I dont know crap in native code, i just know what UT functions use it and what they do :D )
    about the screen thing, go to Screen

Last edited: Mar 3, 2002
  6. akn81

akn81 New Member

Ok I've taken a look at Screen already, but it can only display images/text...not realtime stuff

:(

There has to be a way right :) ?

7. Wormbo

Wormbo Administrator Staff Member

You can't use Canvas functions like DrawPortal() on ScriptedTextures. Sorry, but for now there's no way.

8. akn81

akn81 New Member

Darn!

=(

Oh well, it was a good dream while it lasted- thanks for all the input!

9. Postal

Postal I apear to have lost my pin.

Some where I have a tutorial on how to do this, a long time ago it was made for a mod, and a tutorial and a example were made and released, Epic had added suport for this in the 224 patch because this guy had buged them so much or something like that.

I think the tut is now on WoD, but I cant check, PU sites have been crashing my comp for some unknown reason.

10. akn81

akn81 New Member

Well I checked WoD and couldn't find it there- the closest was the tute on scripted textures but Screen is far more advanced than that.

Can u remember how it was done?

11. usaar33

usaar33 Un1337

Again, the only way would be to create your own native scriptedtexture subclass and add a "drawportal" function. You would then need to write C++ code to handle it.. It shouldn't be to hard if you asked Jack Porter to send you the scriptedtexture source and especially the canvas drawportal code.

12. Tiggy

Tiggy New Member

13. usaar33

usaar33 Un1337

That is like nbspot, where it changes the playerpawns viewtarget.

I can assure akn81 that there are no released scripts that allow a portal to be drawn on a wall.

The closest you can pull off without native code is using warpzones to see another area. Unfortunately, it is not static, like a TV, but more like a window... (where moving changes what you see in it).

14. Loqa

Loqa New Member

How about multiple skyboxes:flak:

15. Chuckleberry_Finn

Chuckleberry_Finn I am become Steven Seagal.

Not that I know anything about this, but what about messing with reflective surfaces (mirrors, etc.)? I'd have no idea how to do it technically, but couldn't you pipe the "output" of a reflective surface in Area A to a different surface in Area B?

Probably not. heh.

16. ChimpyNutz

ChimpyNutz Major Dilema

Couldn't you use zones in unrealed to create "tv" effect then place it into the wall? You would need two zones the exact same size/shape, but then you can look through your zone into the other zone which would be transparent on the "opposite side" looking into the room you wnat to see.
    I'm pretty sure it's possible to do. Once I get further along in scripting I was going to do that very same thing.
    On the "tv" screens you should put a sheet in front to make sure that nothing can pass through it.

17. usaar33

usaar33 Un1337

That is the same as my warpzone idea. The problem is that it isn't a television at all, but rather a window.

18. |FAST|_Chimp

|FAST|_Chimp Col. Mustard

Your right. I had worked a little with those over last summer, but had forgotten how they work.
    Could you use 4 warp zones to get the effect?
    If warp zone 1&2 where a window that warp zone 3 "looked into" and warp zone 3&4 where very "Thin".
    By looking through warp zone 4 into 3 [each is very very thin and same size], warp zone 3 would have a "static/tv" view into warp zone 2, which leads the view into the warp zone of the actual area you want to monitor.
    A bit kludgy.. and not perfect but it my give you the desired effect.
    Toss a sheet in front of your "tv" warp zone with some half translucent static and you could get a cool effect at least.

19. jb

jb New Member

Whoa folks way too complicated. You can do it with only one set of warp zones. Here:

http://www.pc-gamers.net/jb/koth/pics/titan/Shot0013.jpg

http://www.pc-gamers.net/jb/koth/pics/titan/Shot0016.jpg

You can use a Tut over on Wolf's old site to figure out how to do it. Remember to use a block all or other semisold brush in front of the portral so people can not walk through it. To get a staitic effect just create a sheet in front of the portal, use a metal texture that has a grainy surface, set it to transparent and turn on the texture pan so it "moves" a bit. I did not want to do that with the above but did try it once. However I did not have something set right as as soon as I did that, I lost my skybox in network play only! Never did figure out why that happened...

20. |FAST|_Chimp

|FAST|_Chimp Col. Mustard

Damn.. that is just too easy.
    Where's the fun in that ;-P