BeyondUnreal is dead! Long live BeyondUnreal!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
All good things come to an end, except BeyondUnreal. Yeah, the site is in disrepair and the updates are extremely slow, but don't let that clickbait title fool you, we are here for the long haul. Unfortunately, our host for the past 4 years, AtomicGamer, is shutting down at the end of this month.

Some of you probably know that I recently took just the forums independent again. I believe we get enough traffic to keep the site running on paltry ad revenues with a little stipend out of my own pocket almost indefinitely. It has gotten extraordinarily easier to run cheap VPSes that go a long way since we started this site back in 1997 as PlanetUnreal and then making the massive transition to BeyondUnreal a year later. But that is a story for another time. At any rate, here's a short FAQ about what will happen next.

What is going to happen to BeyondUnreal?
Nothing. BeyondUnreal will continue on in it's current zombie-like state. We will be taking the site independent.

Where will you be moving?
For practical reasons, we will be moving to DigitalOcean for hosting in the near term.

What about [insert favorite BeyondUnreal hosted site here]?
In the short term, many of the current hosted sites will go offline as we transition to new hosting. However, all current hosted sites will remain available and we are hoping that going independent will give us the freedom to bring back a few old favorites, as well *coughnalicitycough*

How will you pay for this?
As mentioned above, the site generates enough traffic to mostly pay for itself right now. I have been seeding it with some money to get it to that point. We will also be adding a donation mechanism for people who want to help keep the site and forums alive and also help pay for our UT4 server.

I'm scared... hold me?
Uhh, I'm sure you can find someone else in the community to handle that for you.

Finally, I just want to thank all of our visitors now and in the past. We have been very lucky to have such a committed and vibrant community over the years and it is thanks to all of you that we do this. With the release of UE4, I suspect that the Unreal and Unreal Engine ball will start rolling again. With a new Unreal Tournament on the way, we hope the community will flourish like it did back in the old days. We might be down, but we are definitely not out.

LONG LIVE BEYONDUNREAL!

P.S. If you want to help making the site more active please e-mail or PM hal or I to discuss it further.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
This site is the first one I go to everyday and I'm not seeing that change anytime soon.

Bruzz: If there's anything I can do to help with whatever, just let me know in IRC or here. :)

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Brizz, I would be happy to contribute to keeping the site open, money or otherwise. Thanks for your dedication; like Al, I too check in here early everyday.

Blade_hunter

Unreal tournament mod dude
Jan 23, 2008
What do you mean Atomic gamer is shutting down ?
This is quite shit as they have a lot of content and even stuff from a dead site called unrealism which are still available to their servers, I could get some files but really...

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
That clickbait title almost got me. I'm happy that site will live on despite its sleepy current state.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
What do you mean Atomic gamer is shutting down ?
This is quite shit as they have a lot of content and even stuff from a dead site called unrealism which are still available to their servers, I could get some files but really...
There are some people from the Web Archive who are working on archiving their sites and files. Is the Unrealism stuff just files?

Blade_hunter

Unreal tournament mod dude
Jan 23, 2008
By now only files because the site in itself is dead by long ago, it used to be something that hosted sites just like BU does.
Even some of the sites in question are the same (Antiskins, UTU) but the files for the most part aren't all the same
http://www.atomicgamer.com/directory.php?id=3476
That's the unrealism directory
Also counting on webarchive for that; I don't know
File planet was archived, but I don't know how to get the files from what was archived for example

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
what does this meant to be? Leave this great site zombified and pussificated till UT4 is out? I hope so! Do you need some donation let me known Im not rich but I can make some donation for this site

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Relax, nothing is really going to change from a user perspective, except that some of the hosted sites (not forums) may be unavailable for a while. Server hosting is comfortably inexpensive these days, especially if you don't have extremely high CPU or traffic demands.

I heard there will be a donation option soon.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
SkinCity will be back in a couple of days. I just need to restore it on the new server and hook it back to the database. There are several other sites that will be coming back online over the next few days.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
You can do larger bulk uploads through ut-upload.rushbase.net however I know the people running it so I got the backup pushed up via ftp.