better to have loved and lost...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

purice

coon dog
Dec 19, 1999
Visit site
It's all over. After three years of living together and fifteen years of friendship, she told me we weren't "we" anymore. I was ready to ask her to spend the rest of her life with me, be my wife and have children together. Our friend was helping me shop for an engagement ring. Twenty five days later I'm living alone in an apartment trying to make sense of where it all went wrong.

sid

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Oct 20, 2005
but what went wrong ??

purice

coon dog
Dec 19, 1999
Visit site
She told me she was taking wellbutrin around the end of the summer for depression. I could have handled the news better. I questioned her decision and her doctor's decision instead of showing my support. At first I think she thought it was her fault she was down. We sometimes had arguments and it would come out. Most of the time, though, she seemed very happy with me and us and everything. I was honestly shocked she had decided to take medication.

Later, though, I think she started blaming me. Maybe she had a right to. I have a sketchy past with relationships. I never let myself get too close, except with her. Fear of loss and rejection makes you do irrational and very detrimental things. I was escaping reality by smoking huge amounts of pot and living alone for five years before we got together.

Anyway, she stopped taking the medication a few weeks before she tried to break up with me the first time so "she could make sure the drug wasn't a factor".

I've been in compete denial over the whole thing until recently. I went to one session with a therapist and even took Paxil because the doctor said I had reactive depression. One pill was enough. It was the worst twenty four hours of my life. I had panic attacks the whole night and didn't sleep a wink.

I still thought we could work things out. It actually got better for a while. We were sleeping in the same bed, took baths together (no sex), talked about what we wanted in a partner, went out to dinner. She said things like "you need to make me miss you" and seemed like she just needed a little space.

So I was all set to move out for a while. Before the breakup, we were to host a party at our house, a tradition called Friends Thanksgiving, a chance for everyone to get together a week before actual Thanksgiving. It was going great. We spent all last friday cleaning and setting up and all day saturday cooking three turkeys. She said she wanted to make a pact not to talk about our problems at the party. A good idea. I agreed. Only a handful of people knew. Her sisters and spouses, and a couple of really close friends.

When 5:00 came around and her sisters showed up I panicked. I tried to hide it and put on a happy face. I mingled and tried to be a good host. We all sat down for dinner, toasted to what we were thankful for and served the food. I couldn't stop thinking it would be all over the next day. I got up and went to go wash some dishes, just to get away. She knew I was upset at that point.
Thoughout the night I was both talkative and putting on a good happy front, and reclusive to the point where I wanted to just get away. She confronted me a few times and it just made the reality of the next day all the more intense. Later on after going upstairs for about fifteen minutes, leaving her to answer awkward questons about where I was, I told her privately that I needed to leave. This was unforgivable, and to her was just me shutting out the truth instead of trusting her to do what was right.

We argued thoughout the night and I left in the morning.

Rk.

Sleezy bastard.
Nov 18, 2005
Candyland.
The Jackal-XMP said:
ROFL! sorry. I just read that and burst out laughing.

Sorry for your loss thou. Sometimes is for the better. Maybe someone better will come along that you just fall madly in love with.
You should've kept that first sentence for yourself.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Not all is lost man. You guys dated for a really long time, so I doubt she can just write you out of her life that easy. Unless she has met somebody else(which would of happened before you broke up) I would just give her some space for a few days, and then write her an email or something to the fact of:

I know thing have been rough lately, and we have fought a lot, but let's not throw away the last 3 years of our life over these last few months. Let's both actively make it better.(don't use the word try because it makes her think their will be doubt.)

While you are giving her some time off you should be writing this, and criticing it as if you are going to be her reading it, and figuring out how she would react to it. Well thought out written letters can work a lot better than just talking face to face to them. Trust me.:)

purice

coon dog
Dec 19, 1999
Visit site
thanks BBA. I did write two letters initially and it helped get me into her good graces earlier last week. I also wrote and rewrote another this week that attempted to explain my actions and apologized for how I reacted to the situation. The word "try" was used for better or worse. It's too late now to rewrite since I already left it for her to find it.

I think her support group of friends is encouraging her to find someone else.

Last edited:

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
purice said:
thanks BBA. I did write two letters initially and it helped get me into her good graces earlier last week. I also wrote and rewrote another this week that attempted to explain my actions and apologized for how I reacted to the situation. The word "try" was used for better or worse. It's too late now to rewrite since I already left it for her to find it.

I think her support group of friends is encouraging her to find someone else.

Why do they want her to find somebody else? Also flowers work magic for girls....Trust me.:p

purice

coon dog
Dec 19, 1999
Visit site
BillyBadAss said:
Why do they want her to find somebody else? Also flowers work magic for girls....Trust me.:p

I guess they think it will help her move on. A rebound relationship would certainly put distance between us. Going out and getting laid might help me feel better. I don't know. I might feel worse. I really should just suck it up and give her the space she wants.

It's so ****ing hard to be away from her, though.

thewalkingman

ssssssssssss bugger!
Nov 12, 2000
Quahog
Visit site
purice said:
It's all over. After three years of living together and fifteen years of friendship, she told me we weren't "we" anymore. I was ready to ask her to spend the rest of her life with me, be my wife and have children together. Our friend was helping me shop for an engagement ring. Twenty five days later I'm living alone in an apartment trying to make sense of where it all went wrong.

Makes you want to drink hard liquor right out of the bottle.

Chaser

Boi BOI!!!!
Mar 16, 2004
I know how you feel man. I have just recently been through a breakup. My girlfriend i've been going out wiht for 8 months broke up with me for no reason at all. The best reason I could get out of her was that she was bored. Of course its no where near 3 years... but I am really having a hard time with it. I just cant seem to go about my daily routine, because my daily routine involved her. Its hard to adjust without her, and its going to be really hard this holiday season. We planned so much and I thought we were going to last a lot longer.

I know how you feel dude. Just stay strong, hopefully things will work out for you.

sid

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Oct 20, 2005
if there is hope hold on
if there is hopeless hope fk it
if there is no hope move on

purice

coon dog
Dec 19, 1999
Visit site
thewalkingman said:
Makes you want to drink hard liquor right out of the bottle.

you've got that right, brother.

Chaser said:
I just cant seem to go about my daily routine, because my daily routine involved her.

My whole life revolved around her. Most if not all of our friends were her friends originally, or her family so I can't talk to them ATM or things might get weird. I do have a couple of old friends that I've contacted, but it has been a long time.

SomewhatSuicidal said:
Be carefull not to seem obsessive and clingy though.
Her two sisters and one of their husbands are pissed at me right now for being like that. To make matters worse, the husband is my co-worker.

:lol: this is starting to sound like Jerry Springer.:(

thanks everyone for the kind words. you guys are really great.

ApostleX3K

Sucker Puncher of Sacks
Oct 5, 2004
New York
Heh...this thread hits home for me. About three weeks ago my fiance decided to break up with me after 7 years of living together and 2 years of engagement, it came like a heavyweight punch to the jaw. In an effort of damage control I moved out and gave her as much space as possible and waited a week to call her(which was tough as nails). During that week I thought about the "reasons" she wanted jump ship and how to mend them(which mainly was hanging up World of Warcrack lol). When I saw her again I played it real cool and got the green light to move back in as "friends". Well, it's been 2 weeks since I've come back and though I'm still at friends status, intimacy is back on and better then ever, she says she feels confident about the future(she still needs more time to become un-angry to return to official coupledom though). Basically right now were friends who live together, do it, and aren't cleared to see, date, or flirt with other people. I'm confident as long as stay positive and give her space when needed things may work out.

My advice to you is: BE POSITIVE!! to yourself and her. you gotta make yourself appear as a positive assest to her future no matter what crap the past holds. Don't be clingy, but don't be a stranger either...3 years is a long time and it is not fair for her to write you off and expect to you to give up your apt. and life just like that. Give her space and when you do see her keep it light and positive, no heavy relationship topics at first, if you gain ground and gauge a possibility of re-entry then gradually start talking about "us" in a non-pushy positive way.