1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Best mousepads for G5 users for UT2k4?

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 2003/2004' started by randyannie, Mar 11, 2006.

1. randyannie

randyannie Prozac

Hey everybody, I hope I'm not beating a dead mouse here, but I think Raffi mentioned in one of the threads that the G5 doesn't like dark surfaces. Well I have a black S&S Steel Pad and it seems to work great, a little skip every now and then so I'm trying to find out from other G5 users here at BUF if they have found any white mousepads or light color mousepads even that they've had good results with using their G5 mouse. :stick: \o/ :wavey:

OK G5'rs the ball's in your court, thanks for your recommendations.

Much <3, Prozac :) :eek: :D

2. Raffi_B

Raffi_B Administrator

Hopefully you already have the G5 firmware update. If not, get it now.

For the mouse pad itself, any light-colored non-reflective pad should work fine. The best solution would be the Steelpad 5L, which was specifically designed to work optimally with laser mice such as the G5. I've talked to many people who have all said that the 5L really unleashes the true potential of the G5.

However, most people (like myself) don't have $30 to spend on a mouse pad. I am currently using a bright blue Supermat, and it works perfectly. Big mousing area, comfortable padding, and great tracking - all for one-tenth the cost of the 5L.

T2A has the 5L I believe... you should ask him what he thinks of it.

3. Bullet10k

Bullet10k New Member

What about an Icemat or just pure glass?

4. Raffi_B

Raffi_B Administrator

Both of those are reflective. As stated before, the G5 has problems with dark or reflective surfaces.

5. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

Icemat works miserably with a G5... Seen it in action myself. Wasn't pretty.

I do, indeed, have a 5L, and it was, indeed, f**king expensive. As the ads and such for it show, it is both cloth and not cloth at the same time. The surface ends up being pretty unique. It feels like cloth, but at the same time it doesn't. The end result is smooth but not slippery and grippy but not sticky. It has more friction than, say, a Func1030, but it is smoother and quicker than a Supermat, as a result of the reduced friction. Does it "unleash the potential" of the G5? F**k if I know; I used it about three days and then came home for spring break, so I haven't really gotten to test it out too much. It does feel good when the mouse glides over it, though. Whether or not it actually improved my game over the cheap-ass Supermat I haven't found out yet, mainly because Raffi has been avoiding my 1v1 challenges for the past three weeks. Probably scared of my radar. :(

That said, you'll be better off with a Supermat. The 5L is certainly big enough for low sensitivity use, so the Supermat will feel ridiculously gargantuan, but for $3-5 it's hard to beat. The added friction of cloth over hard plastic like the Funcs results in greater accuracy for sure (once you get used to it), so you'll definitely want something non-plastic, whichever you get. The G5's feet are vastly superior to the MX510/8, so cloth is no longer an issue, and, instead, the better choice. If the 5L were cheaper, I'd say go for it without a doubt, but the steep price is hardly justified. If you're like me and enjoy frivolously spending your money on stupid purchases, go for it, but if paying that much for a mouse pad sounds retarded, definitely go for a Supermat.

Oh, and the 5L is one smelly son of a bitch when you first open it. I had to open a window and circulate some air that first day... The smell went away rather quickly; I saw on some site it would take two weeks but it wasn't noticeable unless I put my face down near it and took a whiff after only a couple days.

Official vote until further notice of accuracy improvement on my part: Supermat

6. Wookiee

Wookiee Lets Rock

i just use the surface of my desk :p

7. Raffi_B

Raffi_B Administrator

You haven't been around at all lately. We can play any time you want, biznatch ;)

8. ShakeZula

ShakeZula New Member

:/ I have a cloth QPad with a G5 and I get noticeable friction... I'm going to buy a 5L as soon as I can afford it (which probably won't be for like six weeks, but yeah).

9. Selerox

Selerox COR AD COR LOQVITVR

ARG @ Bad Retailers

If you want a hard-srface pad, then I've heard that Ulti-Mat now do a Silver coloured version of their teflon/steel pad. I'd get one myself, but I can't find anywhere that ships to the UK...

Sounds like it ;)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  10. Slainchild

Slainchild Gold Member

Works fine on mine, though it did skip a bit more than on a cloth pad (with the firmware update). I'm using my MX518+Icemat atm though, works perfectly.

11. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

I didn't say there wasn't friction, because there is some, but it's actually good with the G5. With the G5's 1773 feet something like a Func 1030 feels slippery and inaccurate, whereas the added friction from cloth isn't a burden anymore and feels more solid and accurate. In my own experience, of course. I suppose you could enjoy the near-zero friction and your mouse sliding around out of control. :)

I have a black Supermat and the G5 doesn't skip at all on it even though it's dark. It did skip on the black Func 1030 some at high speeds because it is somewhat reflective. It skipped tons on the Icemat. Not so much in Windows because movements are generally pretty slow, but any mouse jerks at a gaming speed was totally fudged. Reminded me of my old Dell mouse. :eek:

12. hyrulian

hyrulian Rainbow Brite

[​IMG]

13. Slainchild

Slainchild Gold Member

whatthehell

14. EggBoy

EggBoy New Member

Yeah you can spend loads of money on mousepads if you want... Or you can just use a sheet of ordinary wax paper (or baking paper, whatever you wanna call it). I'm telling you it is pretty damn good for a gaming mousepad and practically free so what have you got to loose!!

Benefits:
    - CHEAP
    - slick surface
    - has a good texture on it for precise tracking
    - white color and non reflective so good for both laser or optical mouse
    - cut it to whatever size you want
    - try different quality and brands of wax paper to get the right friction you
    want
    - try different materials underneath it for a slightly different feal, e.g desk, glass, old mousepad.

Drawbacks:
    - wears out so you will have to replace it more often
    - if you dont secure it properly it could shift around
    - you look like a cheapskate

Check this link for more details (seems like the guy actually tested it with a G5 so it should be good for you!): the-best-gaming-mouse-pad-youll-ever-make

I actually taped mine over an old sponge-and-cloth mousepad rather than to my desk. I heard that clear overhead transparencies (the inkjet ones with one side very slightly rougher) work very well too.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  15. ShakeZula

ShakeZula New Member

The friction only affects the start of each movement, which makes for inconsistency. It takes a very slight amount of extra force to move the mouse from zero velocity. I'm being really pedantic, admittedly, but I would like near-zero friction and to rely on perfect correlation between my hand movement and my xhair. Tbh, I might just take a leaf out of EggBoy's book and stick something hard over my Qpad... I'll definitely give it a go before investing in a 5L, anyway.

16. ALG

ALG Gallardo

I use my desk or a scratched ping pong table depending on where I am. Does it really make that much of a difference?

17. EggBoy

EggBoy New Member

This is exactly the problem I had, especially since I have an older wireless intellimouse which is pretty heavy (it takes 2x AA batteries), so it "sticks" easily when going from stationary to accelerating it slowly. The wax paper seems to fix this problem very effectively, but the problem is the paper needs to be secured very well or it can shift around.

18. KaL976

KaL976 *nubcake*

That's not pedantic... this is pedantic. The force you're describing has a name & that name is... wait for it... Stiction! :D

19. snoogans460

snoogans460 Unreal Junkie since 56K UT on Dreamcast

Well, I use a laser Razer Copperhead mouse (which should be similar to the G5), and it operates perfectly with a Razer Exactmat - and that surface is all black. Ya, $30 bucks for a freakin' mousepad may be a bit much, but it ultimately pays for itself in the longrun. After all, what's $30 dollars when most gamers spend hundreds to thousands each year on their hobby? Just my two cents.

20. ShakeZula

ShakeZula New Member

:( Please, KaL. It's Monday morning for Christ's sake.

;)