Best elements of each UT game (99, 2004,2007)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ShredPrince

Sep 14, 2005
CTF-Omicron BONG
IMO each Unreal game has things that should stay, and things that should go. This goes for UT99, all the way to UT3 and UC2.

I'll start:

Every UT game should have the Stinger instead of the 20th century mini gun.

Every UT game should have the Lightning Gun instead of the 20th century SniPoo Rifle.

Every UT game should have a decent amout of mobilty, while also maintaining a grounded balance for those on foot only type players, as well as the acrobat.

Every UT game should have the Shock Rifle and Rocket Launcher (DUH), but make the Rocket Launcher in the vein of UC2: a mixture of UT2kx rox, and UT99. 6 DRUNKEN rockets should be a mainstay, as well as the now classic triple rox.

I have more, but that's just to get it started. The point is to point out things that should stay, and are great, and how to balance these things, and what should be left for dead, like the Mini-Gun, or the impact Hammer. Something that is similar to the Impact Hammer and Shield gun, but BALANCED.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
There's absolutely nothing wrong having Minigun and Sniper Rifle in UT. Sure 2k3 introduced LG, but the game itself was already so different that it just fit in there. Besides Enforcers are also tehnically 20th century weapons, but they just fit into UT.
Stinger was enjoyable in Unreal, but UT is faster paced and Pulse Gun perfectly replaced slower ROF Stinger in UT.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
The lightning gun kicked ass conceptually. Every FPS game has a boring sniper, and now UT3 does too. :(

UT3 needs ramp sliding and maps that support it. Unreal through UT2004 all had it; UT3 does not. Too hard for the console gamers to understand, I suppose. :mad:

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
Hoverboard. Arguably not in its current implementation, but this definitely fixes the annoyance many had of walking long distances in onslaught.

Apr 11, 2006
Precisely. Balance is debateable, I happen to think it was fairly well balanced, but whatever. The concept defintly beats the generic Snipoo Rifle that is in EVERY FPS game. Very tiresome.

I kind of like the Lightning Gun, but not as a replacement for a Sniper Rifle.

As a sniper rifle weapon, all it becomes is a generic zap gun. A generic zap gun is in EVERY SCI FI FPS game. Very tiresome.

Lethargy

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
Feb 24, 2006
I thought if the firing sound for the lightning gun actually sounded like thunder it would have been a lot cooler, and its feeling would have more closely matched how powerful it actually was. 70 damage from "pzzzt" didn't seem right to me.

Jordan L

Jan 20, 2008
I'm just going to generalize here, I think the best elements of 2K4 was everything that fixed up / Exceeded UT2K3.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
UT
- Impact hammer

UT 2004
- dodge jump and wall dodge (I don't care that you didn't like it :))
- weapon switch speed
- demo playback/record options
- general configuration options
- stock map volume
- Lightning gun
- slides
- UTV

UT3
- hover board for large maps
- shock core explosion FX <3
- character customisation abilities

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
UT2k4:
Ramp Dodging
UTV
Ladder Campaign
LG
2k4's mouse response

UT3:
Duel gamemode (albeit tweaked to remove DD and invis .. I mean .. COME ON!)
Character Customization
Kills slow time mutator:D
Hoverboard

Haven't played UT99 enough on a serious level to judge it...more like .. YAY INSTA ON MORPHEUS!

unbecoming

The Money U Could Be Saving W/out Barry
Jan 21, 2008
St.Louis,MO
I miss the colorful maps and the player counts from the 99 days.
The ripper also should've made it's way thru the series with a bit of tweaking,removing entirely was a mistake imo.
Being able to express your thoughts on the very forums of the devs and having them not only "NOT BAN U",but actually reply.

2k4 is the sh*t cut-n-dry.Most challenging FPS out there imho.

With UT3 all I really am impressed with is the eye candy,the editor,FEAR(kill slow time)mutator,and how fast it's tanked.

Gimme 2k4 with UT3 textures and 99's player count in it's prime and we're all good to go.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
UT2K4 - running on Linux.

As far as PC support goes, releasing non-Windows versions is a significant differentiator between the likes of Epic and Id, and the other companies that are just in it for the cash.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
UT99:
-the user interface :mad: :tup:
-the ripper
-the community
-the movement system (UT200X is over the top, UT3 is too nerfed down)
-minimalistic map design (in contrast to huge-ass "look at my editor skillzors"-maps)
-the bot voices
-the single player story

UT200x:
-most options for multiplayer (adding entire tags, filtering options, etc.)
-onslaught
-Bombing run!!! (okay, no idea how it'd be with UT99 movement, but I bet it'll be fine)

UT3:
-the weapons (they're f**ing balanced)
-the items
-CTF
-(of course) the engine

Last edited: