1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Best Comments Thread

Discussion in 'Nali City' started by MassChAoS, Aug 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MassChAoS

MassChAoS echo "NaliCity";

Best Flames Thread

Here, for the hell of it, the start of the best flames thread.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2004
  2. MassChAoS

redfist
    08-08-2004 02:07 PM EDT Rating: 9.5

There was no comments on this guys work at all only a few.And I give him the 9.5 cause it's a cool find and the "effort" that has gone into rehabing another engine-game levels.And some are still fun to play DM .
    Now that I see how nalicity community is guess I'll whip out the staticmesh machine.

ghostwheel
    08-08-2004 09:48 AM EDT

Well I have to disagree with most of you again, I think it may be the difference between semi-pro mappers who are amature gamers like you dudes and amature mappers who are semi-pro gamers like me. First off a REMAKE should be an exact copy of the origanal map, if its not then its not a REMAKE, second off if a Q2 map was so cool I needed it to be made for UT, then it must be the game engine that makes the difference in the game and not the look of the textures, because if it was you would never even know what the game UT was and you'd still be playing Q2. It isnt hard for me to think to myself "wow this games movments and gameplay are way better than Q2 but I'd really like to play my favorite map from Q2 and not some wanna_be pro mappers re-inturpretation of it. Just my 2 cents on the subject of REMAKE MAPS and why they are done, As far as this map goes I cant comment because I'm not a big Quake Fan.

Bot40 I hate to tell you but your attempt at being funny comes off as stupid IMO because your comments contridict everything I said, you say I think 2k4 is a bad remake of 2k3 with some extra bs, wrong my whole point was that if you like a GAMES movement and play style like say 2k4 better than 2k3 or say UT better than Q2,(or the other way around) but there is a map from the other game you really liked, you might want to see it REMADE(not copied, a copy would be your remake of a Q2 map for Q2 idiot.) for UT or 2k4, but what you dont want is the map you loved REMADE for the GAME you love but done by some dork who thinks he can improve on the looks and theme just to end up with crap. I personally dont like exact REMAKES of maps but some people do. Oh and get a clue I don't belive Redfist actually made this map.

Bot40
    08-07-2004 08:55 AM EDT

Ghostwheel: YAY! Welcome to the Redfist and Ghostwheel TV show!
    Redfist: The show where we review remakes of maps and games!
    Ghostwheel: Later on the show we will be looking at UT2k4, a remake of UT2k3 but with additional content.
    Redfist: I dunno folks, all that original content and improved gameplay sounds like a really bad idea to me, it's bound to fail.
    Ghostwheel: Yeah, but for now we take a closer look at dm-q2dm6 for Unreal Tournament.
    Redfist: Yes, while we were searching the nalicity database for remakes we came across this gem of a map. A remake of the Quake2 map with the same name, this map goes back to 2001. Immediately we knew we had to resurrect it from the dead to make sure we could continue the remake flamewar.
    Ghostwheel: Too right! Now, onto the map itself. Firstly I would like to say this is not a remake I am too keen on. For starters it has a screenshot while the original didn't which means it's not staying true to the original. Plus the filesize has changed during the conversion.
    Redfist: Yes, major points there, plus also I noticed in one point the texture on the wall was 4 bricks high instead of 3 bricks. Important details like this are very important when doing a remake and can make all the difference in the score.
    Ghostwheel: I also found that one doorway had some trim to improve the visuals in that spot. I wasn't happy with this at all since it makes the map look better.
    Redfist: So, onto the gameplay side of things. Firstly, I wasn't keen because there was no quake2 weapons and the movement was different. You won't find much joy playing this map online either because UT's netcode is much more stable and efficient than quake's so the gameplay is far too smooth and enjoyable.
    Ghostwheel: I agree entirely. I also found I had to turn my detail down to minimum and 16 bit colour at 40x30 res to achieve the true quake feel.
    Redfist: Overall, this is a pretty bad remake. It doesn't stay true to the original in most respects. I was especially peeved at the bricks being 4 high instead of the more unrealistic 3 high. What you reckon ghostwheel?
    Ghostwheel: Hmm, I don't like this one too much, doesn't compare to the original quake in most respects.
    Redfist: Yes, so overall I think we'll have to give it a 9.5/10 because we both love overrating mediocre and bad maps though there are still some things that need DE-proving to get that elisive 10/10 score!
    Ghostwheel: To everyone else out there, stick to Quake2 :)

3. Zlal

Zlal New but not improved.

You could put all of ghostwheel and redfist's comments in here ;)

4. Balton

Balton The Beast of Worship

could you provide a link alogn with the comments?

5. Zlal

Zlal New but not improved.

Balton, just look at the "recent comments" thing, and all of his maps. And ghostwheels. It's all there :p

6. NeoNite

NeoNite Worst hack fraud ever

:con: That redfist guy is a serious moron!
    I've read a fair share of his "comments" so far.. who the hell does he think he is???

I've seen him giving good maps a(n extreme) low rating!

OH and why of course "his" (not) maps are supposed to be good !!?? Oh and exact look alike conversions are also good? Eh, NOPE.
    More like "very boring" yes.

He has an ego the size of the moon maybe???

:con: Bit of a weirdo...

More like a lot...

7. Bot_40

Bot_40 Go in drains

Don't worry, him and ghostwheel are just generic n00bs from the Anti-Static Mesh Movement. It's getting a bit boring now though, would be better if he was posting in the forums. I refuse to hold a 10 page argument by editing my comment 2000 times :hmm:

8. Manticore

Manticore Official BUF Birthday Spammer

)Hidra(

I don't suppose there's any way of getting this idiot to stop SHOUTING AT PEOPLE.

His command of the English language aside, he's basically ruining any progress he's making with his maps by being a complete arsehole to anyone who posts comments.

Perhaps he doesn't understand what the words 'Caps Lock' mean.......

9. NeoNite

NeoNite Worst hack fraud ever

Eh ? :con:

http://nalicity.beyondunreal.com/map_hub.php?mid=7591 (gloom keep conversion)

ghostwheel
    08-10-2004 11:28 AM EDT Rating: 10

So in conclusion, I dont make anymore custom maps because I know they will never be as good as a pros map and will get trashed here even tho they may be really fun maps to play. The only thing worse is to read the stupid comments by the so called reviewers here because if a map that never gets any play in 6 months is a 9 and one thats played atleast 5 times a day for 6 months is a (2 or 3 I think is what Twrecks said for Duel Drive) something aint right. You guys figure it out.

PS. nothing personally against Kami the maps look great but they are by no means 9 or 10 maps because looks dont make a great map to play. get a clue dudes.

I am also going to give this map a 10 because for a Q2 port to UT its a fine job, and how great the details are in 2k3 and 2k4 has no bearing on a map for UT, rate the maps for the game they are made for and not for what they look like next to a new map in 2k4.
    Is a 64 Vette crap just because its 2004, come on FOOLS.

Is he making that post so ridiculous on purpose, or what... .... ...

and btw...Gloom keep is a quake2 map???

And that final "thing", is that a sentence?

10. Bot_40

Bot_40 Go in drains

btw either redfist got banned or he deleted all his comments because he got owned :)

11. MassChAoS

if his comments are gone, then most likely he deleted... unless the other half active admin did something.

12. Hourences

Hourences New Member

wasnt i

13. Ntwarr

Ntwarr Slayer Blade

whoa i think blinked too much here...
    I don't trust Redfist at all
    here one comment form a unreal deathmatch map
    "Somebody took the plunge"

14. Bot_40

Bot_40 Go in drains

I like how he gave my cathedral 0
    "nothing like sending a map that don't work right."
    The map is a flyby. He obviously didn't even twig to read the readme or map description to see what to do even though the map is missing a DM/CTF/Whatever so it's blatently obvious it's not a normal playable map :con:
    +10 points for redfist

oh yeah, btw, if I'm not making a specific comment about the map then I don't give a rating. You can search any of the recent maps. Redfist is claiming I am giving 0 to his maps and I didn't actually do that to any map in the last month afaik
    +10 points for redfist

Last edited: Aug 10, 2004
  15. Chrysaor

Chrysaor Lord of the Pants

I love teh n00bs. Makes life happy.

16. Manticore

This fool just won't quit......

He really know how to win friends and influence people; negatively influence people that is.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2004
  17. SeeD_already_in_use

SeeD_already_in_use Dizzay in teh w00ds

http://nalicity.beyondunreal.com/map_hub.php?mid=7591 - yet another Quake1 rip, this time Gloom Keep.

[t2h quote]

ghostwheel
    08-10-2004 11:28 AM EDT Rating: 10
    I'm not sure why Redfist does'nt make his own original maps, but I can tell you some of the reasons I stopped mapping.

1) you make a totally original map with hints of another map and it gets labled a remake of that map. IE. Atrodeck- this was a totally original map with a deck 16 feel but thats it, yet you all say its a remake of Deck 16.

2) If I were to make a map that was as good or even better than what the pro mappers are putting out, I'd want to be paid some big bucks for it, but the free maps us amatures make are never as good as someone who gets paid to do it, therefore you will all say it sucks and it wont get played on any public servers. Conclusion is making a custom map is a waste of time.

3) It also seems that the people hear might be very technical minded when it comes to Ued, but as far as knowing what the gamers like you are way off base. For example I ran a RAGE Clan server for 6 months and I had alot of custom maps on it, some where my maps and the rest from other mappers, well the map Last Crusader][ by Kami which was on the Nali Hotlist and rated a 9, was never played, not once did it get voted on to be played, yet alot of the other maps, especially my Duel Drive map which most of you said sucked and TWRECKS refused to even finish his so called review on, was belive it or not the most played map on that server, and it was all unknown dudes from all over the world who were playing on the server, not just my buds.

So in conclusion, I dont make anymore custom maps because I know they will never be as good as a pros map and will get trashed here even tho they may be really fun maps to play. The only thing worse is to read the stupid comments by the so called reviewers here because if a map that never gets any play in 6 months is a 9 and one thats played atleast 5 times a day for 6 months is a (2 or 3 I think is what Twrecks said for Duel Drive) something aint right. You guys figure it out.

PS. nothing personally against Kami the maps look great but they are by no means 9 or 10 maps because looks dont make a great map to play. get a clue dudes.

I am also going to give this map a 10 because for a Q2 port to UT its a fine job, and how great the details are in 2k3 and 2k4 has no bearing on a map for UT, rate the maps for the game they are made for and not for what they look like next to a new map in 2k4.
    Is a 64 Vette crap just because its 2004, come on FOOLS.

[/t2h quote]

I won't even comment the highlights.. this just totally blown the whole godamn thing. I think it deserves the prize for the largest pile of turd comment ever.

18. SeeD_already_in_use

SeeD_already_in_use Dizzay in teh w00ds

Yeah, I also noticed that last comment of )Hidra(. Totally f*cking unecessary side-comment and stupid assumption.

19. Manticore

Absolutely....

In my opinion that about sums up )Hidra( and all of his comments so far..........

20. AMmayhem

AMmayhem Mayhem is everywhere

And Shad is still kind enough to post comments such as:

Shadowlurker
    08-09-2004 08:11 PM EDTRating: 3
    I'm pleasantly surprisd by your progress, hidra. In a very short space of time you've increased your skill in the editor.
    Don't paid to much mind to the score - it's low, true, but looking at your previous work and then this and Reaven I'm encouraged by your rate of progress.

Next time, spend a little more time, polish it up. Your concepts are interesting, certainly.
    I suggest the NC forums for beta testing these maps, too. It'll help you improve even more with constructive critasism.

I wonder what Hidra thought of this post. Heck, I'm wondering if most of the members can fathom such kindness in true constructive criticism...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.