UE2 - UT2kX Beginner Skybox query

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mariol

Dec 3, 2008
Cambridge
I want to know whether I can build a skybox without first having a terrain. So basically I want to have a skybox as a fake backdrop on a large subtractive cube that I'll use for the level.

I want to know because I've got a flat terrain at the moment that I'm using for an alley map. I've added brushes on top of the terrain for the pavement and everything is fine until I add the building brushes on top of the pavement. The terrain either moves slightly down so it's not visible under the bottom of the subtractive cube or it disappears entirely.

Can anyone let me know what I'm doing wrong?

Phoenix_Wing

Official Kantham Stalker
Mar 28, 2008
California
Yes you can have a skybox without terrain, GrandCanyon2k4 is a good example of that. The brush issue is a strange one, I've found that placing the brush slightly above the terrain, then moving the terrain slightly up using the Vector tool (or whatever the height changing tool is called) then flatten it to create the level you wish

Mariol

Dec 3, 2008
Cambridge
Thanks for the advice. So to create a skybox on a subtractive brush I'd just have to make the top a fake back drop? And if I've created a skybox it should show up once I press K.