1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Beginner Q's

Discussion in 'Programming' started by joninty, Mar 1, 2002.

1. joninty

joninty New Member

Hi,
    I'm a beginner to UR scrioting and I've got a few general Q's.
    I've done a fair bit of backround reading but forgive me if any of this is dumb:

1. If Pawns are Players or AI why does player inherit from object not pawn.

2. The new Scrot debugger, can I open it from Unreal edior or do I have to used the .exe

3.What would be classed as a Dynamic actor?

4. Whats the points of the begin statement for states, why not just start after the bracket?

5. Whats the idea behind the weird angle units?

6.Whats the meaning of the event keyword before what appears to be a function? Does this function get called in responce to any event?

7.Where can I some documenation on the actual engine?

Thanks very much !

2. RegularX

RegularX Master of Dagoth Lies

I can try to help on some:

2: I wouldnt recommend using UED for coding, debugger or no.

4: Some states don't require a BeginState call, so there is the distinction. Same with EndState. If you don't need to process anything at its' beginning/end, they can be omitted

5: God only knows, but my suspicion is that they needed fairly precise rotational math, so a system with a high number of units was created. It's a bit clunky, but it works pretty well when you get used to it.

6: There was an earlier post about this, but essentially the big diff between event and function reside in the C++ side of things, not the UScript.

3. Wormbo

Wormbo Administrator Staff Member

1. Player is an object representing the guy sitting at the computer and playing UT. ;) PlayerPawn is a Pawn representing the player in the UT world. PlayerPawns are controlled by Players while every other Pawn is controlled by the AI.

2. Like regX mentioned: Don't use UnrealEd when you don't want to create a new map.

3. Please explain what you mean by 'Dynamic Actor'.

4. There's also a 'Begin:' marker in states. It is the default point used by GotoState() when only the state is passed to that function.

5. It's not weird, just different. :p I guess it has something to do with network replication.

6. Use the Search button at the beginning of this page.

7. http://unreal.epicgames.com

4. joninty

joninty New Member

Hi guys thanks for your help,
    I'm still not clear on a couple of things (I know I'm a moron but..)

1. What do you mean by Playerpawn, There doesnt seem to be a playerpawn class ? Do you mean a direct instance of the pawn class ?

2. I'm not refering to unrealed script editor rather the UnReal Debugger available from 829.

3.Ive seen a for each "Dynamic Actor" statement but its not documented in the script language reference.

4. Sorry I wasnt to clear about this I was talking about the begin: maker, but whats the point of using this as a starting point, why not just start after the bracket?

6. I read previous threads on event. The basic idea is that its a function that can get called from c++, but how do you know when and by which events?

7. http://unreal.epicgames.com
    I've already read most of the stuff here, but theres no document explaining the engine, just references bits here and there.
    There must be intro to the engine somewhere out there?

5. mr.s-d

mr.s-d CHiMERiC Moderator

6. 2COOL4-U

2COOL4-U New Member

7. 2COOL4-U

2COOL4-U New Member

Copied right from the UScript reference
    Code:
    event Touch( Actor Other )
    { ... }
    Generates this piece of code in EngineClasses.h:

void Touch(class AActor* Other)
    {
        FName N("Touch",FNAME_Intrinsic);
        struct {class AActor* Other; } Parms;
        Parms.Other=Other;
        ProcessEvent(N,&Parms);
    }
    Thus enabling you to call the UnrealScript function from C++ like this:

AActor *SomeActor, *OtherActor;
    Actor->Touch(OtherActor);

8. Wormbo

Wormbo Administrator Staff Member

Engine.PlayerPawn (UnrealScript):
    Code:
    //=============================================================================
    // PlayerPawn.
    // player controlled pawns
    // Note that Pawns which implement functions for the PlayerTick messages
    // must handle player control in these functions
    //=============================================================================
    class PlayerPawn expands Pawn
    	config(user)
    	native
    	nativereplication;

// Player info.
    var const player Player;

(...)

9. RegularX

RegularX Master of Dagoth Lies

Such details, as in how the different tools will be integrated, haven't been released. Something like that though, someone could possibly email Epic/Legend and ask em.

rgx

10. 2COOL4-U

2COOL4-U New Member

it'll require changes in UT's native code to make the breakpoints work I think. I guess we'll have to wait for U2

11. WheatPuppet

WheatPuppet Corriganism

About the rotational units:
    I belive that the "unusual" rotational units were created for two reasons:
    1. A large number of units that make for very accurate angular calculations (damn degrees and radians)
    2. The equivalent of 360 degrees or 2(pi) radians is (I belive) the size of a short int in C++. The number has bit-significance (2^16 I think... don't remember)
      [/list=1]

Right then. Answer found.

12. joninty

joninty New Member

I've alraedy checked out http://udn.epicgames.com
    Its under developement and the engine section doesnt actually have anything about the engine.
    But I will search on !