UE3 - General Begginer here! help is needed :D

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

bradros1987

Mar 13, 2008
Hello guys, i will try to keep this short and sweet so i dont bore you to quickly.

Basically i am a first year in ba games design and although this is probably something i should of invested more time in, i have only really just started with unrealed 3.0

Although we have only just started learning some things in class, i should of started on this a while back, but anyway...

I am looking for a technique to be able to add a cloud/fog effect just above the terrain, so for example, if i was walking on the terrain i would not be able to see it, i would just see a cloudy fog up to about knee/waist hight, i was wondering if anyone here had any knowledge of this or any tutorials that could help.

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Cryosis

Jan 19, 2008
you could achieve that effect with the standard heightfog (Actor class -> info -> heightfog)

bradros1987

Mar 13, 2008
thanks for the reply guys, and i will definatly check out that tutorial! but i do not find heightfog under the actor class - info section.

but i will take another look, cheers

bradros1987

Mar 13, 2008
When you say UnrealEd 3.0... like for UT2004? Thank it's not section UE3 - because that's Unreal Engine 3. :) UnrealEd 3 is for Unreal Engine 2. What a mess, isn't it?

oh plop, your right, i got a little confused lol, unrealed 3.0 for ut2004 is what i was talking about :/

oops sorry.

Jetfire

Jul 25, 2005
In this case, I'd use a particle emitter (or several), with most of the sprites set to remain flat, and a few to stay user-facing

bradros1987

Mar 13, 2008
In this case, I'd use a particle emitter (or several), with most of the sprites set to remain flat, and a few to stay user-facing

hmm you wouldnt by any chance have a tutorial for this or somethign similar so i can learn the process and play with it?

thanks a lot.

bignick0193

Feb 18, 2008
I'm sorry I'm using your thread for a question but I'm also a begginer. Can someone give me a place to view a video of people making a map? I used to use stage 6 but they were shutdown and I never finished watching all the videos so I don't know how to make everything good.

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
I'm sorry I'm using your thread for a question but I'm also a begginer. Can someone give me a place to view a video of people making a map? I used to use stage 6 but they were shutdown and I never finished watching all the videos so I don't know how to make everything good.

http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_dl_list.php?c=13

Great video tutorials for UT2003/4. If you're not registered, register there - it's worth.

bignick0193

Feb 18, 2008
I'm not talking about the UT2003/4 one. I'm talknig about the one that came with UT3. I'm looking around google but can't find anyhting useful that explains in detail for begginers.

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
Eh man... you're both starting with "b" have some numbers at the end of the nick and both are talking about different UnrealEds. :) No surprise I'm confused.

bignick0193:
first: you'll need A LOT of patience to start with UnrealEd for UT3. Check this stuff:
http://www.stage6.com/Unreal-Engine-3---Video-Tutorials/
However - videos are not everything and later you'll need to read some other tutorials as well. Check the list here:
http://utmapping.wikidot.com/resources

bradros1987:
Check http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/EmittersTopics.html and
http://www.hazelwhorley.com/tutorials/emitter.html for some particles related information. The rest is up to you - you can experiment a lot with them and you can see what the effect of change is if you turn on real-time preview in your viewport.

Cryosis

Jan 19, 2008
Easiest method is to purchase UT3 collectors, I sold my copy of UT3 and picked up the collectors edition. They are really good... otherwise you just need to spend time playing around with stuff and looking into the complete guides for additional info

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
I don't know... Intro, Material and Particles stuff in VTM vids are good but creating a level was much more boring than for UT2004 and also some stuff is to be found only in vids for UT2004 (like terrain). It is worth - but as you have it online (the first link I gave) I'm not sure if it's that good. Also vids are good to watch once or twice but in a written text you can search much better.

I have CE but for the reasons I would not do it again after I found out how many issues UT3 has. :)

(Not to mention that that talk in the art book was really bitter... about delivering when it's done. :p)

Long story short: those vids are online (see the link I gave post before) anyway.

Argus

Spack Jazzrabbit
Feb 13, 2008
Scotland
Easiest method is to purchase UT3 collectors, I sold my copy of UT3 and picked up the collectors edition. They are really good...

I have to agree with you there.

I was quite good with 2k4's Editor, I found it really easy to pick up and use.

The moment I switched to the UT3 Editor I was lost all over again. The new Editor was alien to me.

The video tuts on the CE bonus disc are really helpful, and I'm finding my feet quicker with them, than if I was doing it on my own.

That being said, I also agree with Virgo. You will have to start reading other tutorials, because you can't be too dependent on the techniques you learn from the vids.

Plus, You really DO need a lot of patience to work with UT3's editor. You'll want to save your maps regularly, because, as I found out the hard way, the editor will crash a lot.

bradros1987

Mar 13, 2008
I have to agree with you there.

I was quite good with 2k4's Editor, I found it really easy to pick up and use.

The moment I switched to the UT3 Editor I was lost all over again. The new Editor was alien to me.

The video tuts on the CE bonus disc are really helpful, and I'm finding my feet quicker with them, than if I was doing it on my own.

That being said, I also agree with Virgo. You will have to start reading other tutorials, because you can't be too dependent on the techniques you learn from the vids.

Plus, You really DO need a lot of patience to work with UT3's editor. You'll want to save your maps regularly, because, as I found out the hard way, the editor will crash a lot.

thanks a lot guys, im checking these tutorials now, still finding it really hard to get the desired effect!

cheers.