1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bean UnrealEd Lighting Tutorial

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, Jun 28, 2004.

1. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

If you're new to UnrealEd or are looking for some tips on lighting your maps, Anthony 'Bean' Nichols has put together
    Lighting Techniques and Tips #2. The tutorial features screenshots and detailed steps, so it's definitely friendly to new mappers.

Bean has also released three new textures in his Art section.

2. Ulukai

Ulukai New Member

This tutorial contains double negatives and borderline disco lighting, 6/10

3. [Bean]

[Bean] [Insert Witty Title Here]

I ain't never made no disco lighting!

4. DavidM

DavidM Designer

Hrm! I'm no big fan of that thing, to be honest. But you know what a lighting freak I am.

5. Zlal

Zlal New but not improved.

The maps in deathball had nicish lighting, davidm. Unfortunately, that was it :)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2004
  6. Zlal

Zlal New but not improved.

Looking at the tutorial...

ARGH THE WHITE LIGHT IS KILLING ME

Please, for the love of god, use coloured light more. The last pic is horribly white and boring. Sure, in real life that would be a lovley room, full of bright, useful light. But it's not realistic. No light is that perfectly white and airy. Dirty it up a little.
    The middle pic is boring too. The sky's light is a flattish kinda white, and while there is a coloured light filling the room with a deep red colour, it doesn't work well as it's colour is so close to the base colour of the textures. In that case, I probably would have gone with the standard "blue/orange" light set-up, or would have of least made the light from the windows more apparent. I'd move the light actor too, make the shadows have more affect on the rooms lighting.

The top is actually quite nice, but it looks like theres too much light for those few lights on the bottom and you could spice it up somewhat still.

All imo.

7. DavidM

DavidM Designer

ya, dunno, it's missing anything i like about good lighting
    no contrasts at all in this, no color composition or anything
    and these textures don't work at all with lighting :)