1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Basic Hardpoint System

Discussion in 'New Version Suggestions' started by ravens_hawk, Apr 19, 2006.

1. ravens_hawk

ravens_hawk New Member

Recent discussion seems to be leading in this direction anyhow, so I figured I'd start a new thread instead of hyjacking/resurrecting an old one.

What I'd like to see is somthing that to me seems fairly simple to do. Insted of checking for a heavy load to add the rucksack, check the number of items a player has, preferably of each type. I honestly have know idea where the varibles for this would be, and whether or not it would be feasible with the current code/release (if its somehow hardcoded in.)

I figure once we get a system like this setup it would be easier to start changing the bulk values to other values without affecting gameplay. We could even then setup a system to assign a bulk value to the rucksack. For now I'd just settle for not having a backpack when carring an M82 and 3 mags. ;)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2006
  2. jayhova

jayhova Don't hate me because I'm pretty

I do think there should be a better system for representing loads carried. I'm all for a hardpoint system. To some extent this was done with the multiple weapon points. To extend this I would also say that realistic deploy times should be used based on the items location. Right now items all magicly appear in your hand. I've whined about this before, but if you have to pull out a sniper weapon that's on your back it's going to take longer than grabbing the mp5 across your chest. Same for grenades, claymores, etc.

3. keihaswarrior

keihaswarrior New Member

Ya, something a little like this:
    [​IMG]

4. Psychomorph

Psychomorph  

Good that it has the "left shoulder", "right shoulder" and "neck" slots (typo over the rocket launcher).

I personally would prefer like suggested in my pdf, only the left and right shoulders as slots, dropped to the neck the weapon is only if you quick draw a sidegun, which still uses the right shoulder slot, because slinged.
    Various weapons can be slinged on one shoulder, but logically only the "on top" weapon can be selected. To select one below you have to drop the "on top" weapon.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  5. OICW

OICW Reason & Logic > Religion

I think we're complicating matters with a hardpoint system, it seems too pedantic. The bulk and inertia system need to be tweaked for a future Infiltration mod, I agree.

Sniper rifles and grenade launchers should go on your back and take longer to deploy, with all other shoulder weapons going across your chest. However, weapon size and bulk should also affect the speed of access for the player; a MP5 across your chest would be easier to raise into position than a M249.

6. jayhova

jayhova Don't hate me because I'm pretty

Proposed bulk fix

Instead of having generic bulk we could have weight and weapon class. The advantage to this would be that instead of having a generic backpack if you had a lot of gear you would have a loadbearing vest, bandalear or whatever suited the need. For instance lets say you have 4 grenades then you could have a load bearing vest with 6 grenade pouches so an additional smoke or stun grenade would not be a big problem it would just be a little more weight. The weight of the grenade would go away when you tossed it but the bulk of the vest stays. Everyone would get hardpoints for storing weapons these would be based on weapon class such as Pistol, submachine gun, light rifle, heavy rifle, knife, grenade, explosive, etc. each one of these would have a slot it would take up. e.g. Pistols go in a holster. If you have only one holster then you can have only pistol readied. Any others must go in your pack or a place big enough to hold a pistol. To simplify things for magazines we could just have bulk values for them as well as weight with a pistol mag being one and a rifle mag being two. So if you had a vest that would hold a magazine bulk of twelve with a max of two you could have say four and four. Four rifle magazines and four pistol magazines. For things like drums etc. you would have to have a fanny pack or the like.

Along with all of this you would get realistic deployment times. Pulling out a grenade or a sniper rifle takes a lot longer than a submachine gun or pistol. If you have to go rooting through your pack to get something it's not going to be out instantly.