Bandwidth cap? WTF?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

K

i bite
Jul 29, 2004
Magrathea
I just found out that my area is going to be a test area for a new Pay by usage isp program. It is a major brand and it is really all most can get around here that is half way decent speed wise.
They want to start capping bandwidth per month. If you go over you pay extra. It works like minutes on a cell phone. The highest tier you can buy is 40 gigs a month.

Is 40 gigs reasonable for people who watch allot of videos like youtube or something? What about people who watch netflix movies? What about online gaming?
This whole thing sounds like allot of people will be saying screw you to the ISP's.
How much bandwith do you think you use a month?
Just wondering cause i have 4 roomates.

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
To compare, Comcast's cap is 250 gigs per month, and when you go over they only send you a letter bitching about it.

Find a new ISP.

Mar 6, 2004
To compare, Comcast's cap is 250 gigs per month, and when you go over they only send you a letter bitching about it.

Find a new ISP.

My ISP shut off my internet....but then again i went to 110 gigs in 4 days, so WAY past my limit. GigaNews FTL.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Strangely, my ISP started capping a few months ago. We however have a service no more mentioned on the website, and there is no cap as far as we know (We never paid extra).

I have no idea how much bandwidth we use, it must be quite high though. I don't know if it's more than 50GB but I would not be surprised if it was (I watch loads of Youtube videos).

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
At least they tell you what the cap is.
Over here there's a 'fair use'-policy which basically translates into 'we will shut you down if we don't like you' ...
At least that's what some people say, never had any problems myself but I don't know what my usage is like either.

Matfei

[:«]Ω[»:]:Mױפקזג:]:
Apr 22, 2008
Behind the Great Australian Firewall
I'm living with a 25gb/month cap.

Can't really enjoy much HD media content, or download many things in a short space of time if i was useable speed that can actually load pages for the rest of the month. So I have to keep an eye on my usage each day.

Welcome to my world guys.

I'm in a area where I can only get 1.5mb DSL via ATT. They constantly up the price. I've had it for 2 years now and the price has raised by $12. I called them up and asked why, and the response was great "delivery service charge". As if they are dropping off my internet with a gas powered truck or something.

Technology is getting better and faster all the time. Yet our internet is the same and they want to charge more for the same? I've about had it with this bull****.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I imagine that watching youtube isn't going to seriously threaten your bandwidth because of the crap ass resolution. Netflix, on the other hand will certain screw you up, especially if you're streaming their HD stuff.

A cap of only 30-40 GB is extreme and absurd. You're going to be MUCH better off with another service.

~Jason

K

i bite
Jul 29, 2004
Magrathea
Technology is getting better and faster all the time. Yet our internet is the same and they want to charge more for the same? I've about had it with this bull****.
Yeah me to. If the speeds were going up it would be a different story.
why are the insane clown posse running your internet supply ?
:lol: oops
Because they have cornered the market here. Bastards they are. I hate clowns.

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Here the ISP linked to the national communications firm used to cap at 10GB. It was increased to 20GB recently after many years. Other ISPs offer 20 to 40GB or apply a fair-use policy. The latter tend to have crappy connections with some loss.

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
My internet has a really ****ty 2GB limit, or it did when we signed up for it (Quite a few years back). I'm sure that I must have gone over it numerous times, but with no consequences.

Last edited:

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
Have to say I enjoy my ISP. As with most of the UK a lot only offer capped services I was lucky enough to find "Be" who offer a totally unlimited, un-metered service for £18 no traffic shaping, no unseen limits etc. It's not bad for 3 of us always on the net though I think the max we've hit has been about 40GB in a month.