1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

"Band of Brothers" review in Washington Post

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by LoTekK, Sep 9, 2001.

1. LoTekK

LoTekK Peon

i just read an insider review of HBO's upcoming Band of Brothers miniseries, and i have to say, quite honestly, that i'm absolutely disgusted by it... i'll include some quotes from the article that should pretty much sum up why i feel this way:

"The significance of [Schwimmer's incompetent captain] remains elusive, and the story seems a totally inappropriate way to begin the miniseries. Neither viewers nor Easy Company will see combat until about 90 minutes into the first two hours..."

what the **** is wrong with this guy? are we as a society so ****ing drawn to violence that we need to see a ****ing massacre every 5 minutes? are we so goddamned numbed to the suffering of men who fought and died for us that we need to see combat in order for us to ****ing feel anything? **** this guy, man...

"When you watch two hours and still aren't quite sure who the main characters are, something is wrong."

i almost don't even need to state how ****ed up this statement is, but i'll say it anyways... in a war, ****in' EVERYONE is a main goddamned character, so to speak... who the **** does this ******* think he is?

and towards the end of the article, after mentioning some of the episodes he thought were decent, he goes on to say that:
    "these episodes are a long way off. Tomorrow night, viewers will discover that the band of brothers was also a band of bitchers, carping constantly and undermining their detested captain with complaints and even conspiracy."

again, who the **** does this ******* think he is?

i've never liked washington post's lack of impartiality, and i've liked their film reviews even less, but this just takes the cake... this ******* doesn't even know what the **** he's talking about, yet tries to sound like he's all high and ****ing mighty...

(me) :stick: (Tom Shales)

:tdown:

2. Keiichi

Keiichi Old Timer

Ouch! My virgin ears! LoTekK, I'd like to personally present you with the "Foul-Mouthed as a F*cking Sailor" award. You earned it. I don't think I've ever seen someone use the word "****" so many times in one message...

-Keiichi

3. poaw

poaw You used to sleep easy at night.

I just read it.

He obviously has no respect for history behind it or that it isn't some half-cocked war story that a writer pulled out of his ass to entertain the viewer. He wants a typical hollywood format war story and bitches when he doesn't get it. He bitches about the reality of the show.
    In short he wants more Hollywood than History.

4. LoTekK

LoTekK Peon

sorry keiichi, i just reacted pretty badly to the review... like poaw said, the reviewer shows zero respect for the history and for the men who made it... :tdown: and he's blowing chunks out his ass, to boot... :mad:

5. poaw

poaw You used to sleep easy at night.

This from a guy who probably avoided military service his entire life like it was pnuemonic plauge and gets upset when his ice-mocha frapachino is 1.3 degrees too cold. I wish there was a war somewhere that required every fuck like him to go and fight regardless of educational, economic and martial status.

6. Kuroshio Apocal

Kuroshio Apocal Sucka Free

To everything said so far:

Werd.

7. NotBillMurray

NotBillMurray It's Suntory Time!

I didn't want to read this thread till I watched the first episodes. I can honestly say that the WP reviewer represents the worst kind of reviewer. One who has no patience for characters and no eye for anything resembling a story. That coupled with a lack of respect for the subject matter or those who lived it, I would have to say that his editor should have yanked his review before it printed.

8. -GAT-Rogue

-GAT-Rogue New Member

wtf does he expect. they sacrificed their youth, and often their lives, for our freedom (the real soldiers, not the actors :)). im sure if you did the same, youd be just peachy. im typing like hes actually reading this thread....hehe
    i deeply respect anyone who has ever fought, lived or died, so i can be here today, typing at this computer, living life.
    i leave you now with one of my favorite quotes......

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat."

THEODORE ROOSEVELT
    (Paris Sorbonne,1910)

9. Kibbles-N-Bits

Kibbles-N-Bits New Member

The WP reviewer is 100% grade a

ASSHOLE

10. And now for the st00pid question: What the hell is "band of brothers"

11. ThunderChunky

ThunderChunky L337 Cube H@X0®

You made a critical mistake, LoTeKK.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WHY ARE YOU READING THE WASHINGTON POST???

Washington Times all the way for a DC newspaper.

12. itskeiagain

itskeiagain Adept

Well, personally, if the action doesn't start after the first hour of a war story, I think I'd rather go watch CRASH DIVE, one of the worst-made action flick. :rolleyes:

13. LoTekK

LoTekK Peon

lol TC... :D
    i read both, actually... it's nice to compare WP's utter lack of impartiality to other newspapers... but my main source of news comes from BBC, bar none the best source of news around... :tup: its only real rival is CNN international (NOT the CNN crap we get here in the US)...

and rogue, excellent choice of quote there... :tup:

14. phatcat

phatcat akward cat

and....

thats his opinon :D

they pay him for his opinion, and they got it. I don't agree with it, you don't have to agree with it. HELL e-mail him and tell him you don't agree with it!

But...

Just becasue he is in it for the war, and not the history that does not exactly make him a bad person. He just is not into a war story. in that case prehaps Saving Private Ryan is up his alley, less history, more acton :hmm:

15. LoTekK

LoTekK Peon

phatcat, i understand that this was his opinion, but the reason i was so disgusted by him was his utter lack of respect and understanding that he displayed with regards to the war, the men, and their sacrifices... i can't begin to describe the disgust i felt as i read throuhg the article, but the proliferation of obscenities in my post oughtta give you an idea...

16. phatcat

phatcat akward cat

there is alot of ignorant people out there. :)

you are just going to have to deal with it, and prehaps fix this by taking the time to point out there ignorance.

17. LoTekK

LoTekK Peon

as a matter of fact, i've already sent him an email... i had to give myself some time to calm down, as is evident from my first post... anyways, i'll post the contents of the email when i can be bothered to go get it from my hotmail sent messages folder...