1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Balancing Teams

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EggSuckingLeech, Jul 27, 2004.

1. EggSuckingLeech

EggSuckingLeech New Member

I can’t get a game going with 3 of us (humans) versus 3 bots. I have:

BalanceTeams=True (in both UT2004 and UT2Vote42.ini)
    bPlayersBalanceTeams=False (in both UT2004 and UT2Vote42.ini)
    ?MinPlayers=6.

And it does kick off a 3 vs. 3 game. Problem is that it’s always 1human+2 bots vs. 2humans+1 bot. Won’t let the one person switch sides.

I had some email exchanges with the UT2Vote author (Ben) on this issue but I still can't seem to get this working so I'm turning to this forum. Maybe someone can try it out. Or perhaps this was a known problem fixed in 43 but I didn't see it on the list.

Can anyone help me figure this out? Thanks a ton.

2. [Tq1]BeAsTMaN

[Tq1]BeAsTMaN New Member

Do all 3 human players have the same "preferred team color" set?

Greetz,
    BeAsTMaN

3. EggSuckingLeech

yes. all set to red. One guy is always put on blue in spite of that.

4. tdw-socke

tdw-socke New Member

in clanmatch it will work via botmatch.

else set balanceteams to false, kill all bots, let all players join the same team, and add 3 new bots. maybe that does the trick ;)

5. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Just looking through the code - try this:
    In the GameType string for that game add the following:
    ?VsBots=True
    Then in your servers UT2004.ini file add the following:
    [UnrealGame.UnrealMPGameInfo]
    BotRatio=1
    This is the number of Bots versus 1 player so if you have it as 1, then for every Player there will be one Bot.

Looks like Epic pinched our Botmatch idea :)

6. EggSuckingLeech

I'll try that next week when my buddies return from their vacation. Should I remove the two BalanceTeams strings I have in there now?

7. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

You gonna have to experiment with that as I too have never tried this ?VsBots=True either.
    It was added in the last patch by Epic and they never told anyone :)

8. EggSuckingLeech

Thanks again, your support has been great. I will try it next week. But see here's what I really want (and might not be able to get). I wanted a game with 6 players. If two of my buddies happen to show up, it's 3 humans vs. 3 bots. If one shows up it's 2 humans+ 1 bot vs. 3 bots.

It sounds like the above solution will solve case #1 but not case #2 (i.e. we would find outselves in a 2 vs. 2 game which isn't very interesting in a game like Jailbreak). Do you think I'm just out of luck for one ini change to promote the above two scenarios?

Maybe the vsBots=True without the BotRatio setting will get me there. I'll experiment but thought you might figure it out from the code.

9. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

mmm I see your point and as you say ?VsBots=True will solve case #1 but with case #2 you're probably better off with only ?MinPlayers=6 but that too has its problems as you have already discovered.
    Why not ask the Jailbreak authors to add this for you as it would be a lot easier for them to do it than an extra mod as they have direct access to all the code.

10. EggSuckingLeech

same thing happens on CTF. I was just using JB as an example but there are others.

If this is a UT2004 issue, do you know who I might ask for this to be fixed in a UT patch? I just can't beleive I'm the only one seeing this...

11. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

I think the reason no one sees this is most people the word Bot is like a huge major swearword and forbidden in multiplayer :)

Somehow between the variables one should accomplish a satisfactory situation.
    ?MinPlayers=
    ?BalanceTeams=

[UnrealGame.TeamGame]
    bBalanceTeams=False
    bPlayersBalanceTeams=False

[UnrealGame.DeathMatch]
    bAutoNumBots=False

[XGame.xCTFGame]
    bTeamScoreRound=True

12. ZZATU

ZZATU New Member

Same here...

We are having the exact same issue. I will fiddle with the setting ProAsm has suggested and post my results.

ZZATU

13. EggSuckingLeech

find the winning combo, ZZATU?

14. EggSuckingLeech

well, I tried ?VsBots=True and it does as you said and it evens up the teams. I didn't set the Ratio so it must default to 1. With two of us is was 2 vs. 2 (even though I set MinPlayers=6).

I don't know...

15. EggSuckingLeech

I should have been clearer:

?VsBots=True
    ?BalanceTeams=True
    ?PlayersBalanceTeams=False
    ?MinPlayers=6

What I wanted was a game of 3vs. 3 with 2 humans+1bot vs. 3 bots. What I got was a 2humans vs. 2 bots.

More precisely, here's the CTF line in UT2Vote42.ini:
    GameType=(GameName="Capture the Flag",HideVote=False,Clan=True,RequiredPlayers=0,MapLimits=0,ServerName="None",UseMapList=False,DefaultMap="CTF-Maul",MapPrefix="CTF",GameClass="XGame.xCTFGame",Mutators="None",Commands="?MaxLives=0?GoalScore=5?TimeLimit=30?MinPlayers=6?MaxPlayers=16?MaxSpectators=2?Translocator=True?Weaponstay=True?BalanceTeams=True?PlayersBalanceTeams=False?ForceRespawn=False?PlayersMustBeReady=True?Tournament=0?GameStats=False?GameSpeed=1.00?FF=0?NumBots=1?Difficulty=4?VsBots=True")

If anyone has a clue let me know because I'm out of ideas.

16. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

If you set ?VsBots=True, then it does not matter what MinPlayers, BalanceTeam etc are set to they are ignored and you will have a Bot for every player.
    You cannot mix the two, in other words ?VsBots=True and ?BalanceTeams=True etc.

You can have ?VsBots=True?MinPlayers=0?BalanceTeams=False??PlayersBalanceTeams=False

Anything regarding Team setup after the ?VsBots=True gets ignored.

So what you want to do will have to be a special Mutator - nice project for someone - go make a request on the Atari Mods section and see what response you get.