Bad news for Beta 2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
Unfortunately I have to go out of town for a while (not sure at this point how long, but at least a week), meaning Beat 2 is going to be somewhat delayed :(

I have no choice in the matter, and only found out a few days ago that I'm going... So it kinda upset my plans :(

Cya when I get back... :eek:

ProjectX

Nicholas 'ProjectX' Udell - UnWheel Maps
Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
Shrimp said:
Unfortunately I have to go out of town for a while (not sure at this point how long, but at least a week), meaning Beat 2 is going to be somewhat delayed :(

I have no choice in the matter, and only found out a few days ago that I'm going... So it kinda upset my plans :(

good luck Shrimp!

Diego1203

Jan 10, 2004
Shrimp said:

Sorry to hear it shrimp, but you gotta do what ya gotta do.

What does this mean for our phase 3 entry? Will you still have time to make it 2k4 compatible? I don't know crap about unrealscript but if there is anything I can help with let me know.

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
Diego1203 said:
Sorry to hear it shrimp, but you gotta do what ya gotta do.

What does this mean for our phase 3 entry? Will you still have time to make it 2k4 compatible? I don't know crap about unrealscript but if there is anything I can help with let me know.

I reckon since its only a week we won't have too much trouble

EDIT: actually I don't kow whether we're entering Phase III because Phase III is based on UT2K4 technology, and therefore UT2K3 UnWheel won't work on it (I tried installing it, it doesn't show up in the menus). Maybe if we fix the menu problem in time we'll be able to submit it, but other than that, it looks risky.) and our deadline is in 11 days (yipes)!!!

Last edited:

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
stevenhorton said:
No fear ProjectX, we have 42 more days; don't scare me like that :morety: I will also be out of town for 9 days, I guess it must be kinda going around:)
eh? the deadline's April isn't it?

Diego1203

Jan 10, 2004
ProjectX said:
eh? the deadline's April isn't it?

I think it was originaly in april but it got changed to may 30th to give people time to make thier mods 2k4 compatible.

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
Diego1203 said:
I think it was originaly in april but it got changed to may 30th to give people time to make thier mods 2k4 compatible.

phew! that's a relief, yeh it is May (just checked their site)

GRAF1K

****** Kamikaze
Oct 16, 2003
It doesn't show up in the menus because UT2004 handles loading gametypes into the menu differently than UT2003.

I figured out that to make it show up in the gametype list, you have to use "ucc exportcache foo.u". Replace "foo.u" with the u file containing the gametypes. Make sure not to use any capital letters when typing the command, even if the u file contains caps.

You'll end up with a .cdl file in /System, instead of UT2003's .int file. Make sure to edit the .cdl file to reflect your gametype's names and descriptions, as exportcache will default to using the names and descriptions of the gametypes you subclassed.

Your gametypes will show up under a nifty subheading "Custom Gametypes" in the gametype list.

Last edited:

Tez

Feb 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
GRAF1K said:
It doesn't show up in the menus because UT2004 handles loading gametypes into the menu differently than UT2003.

I figured out that to make it show up in the gametype list, you have to use "ucc exportcache foo.u". Replace "foo.u" with the u file containing the gametypes. Make sure not to use any capital letters when typing the command, even if the u file contains caps.

You'll end up with a .cdl file in /System, instead of UT2003's .int file. Make sure to edit the .cdl file to reflect your gametype's names and descriptions, as exportcache will default to using the names and descriptions of the gametypes you subclassed.

Can anyone translate this for me... sorry I'm so ignorant but what are the "foo.u" and "ucc exportcache foo.u" files? I would really love to play UnWheel and I only have UT2004.

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
Tez said:
Can anyone translate this for me... sorry I'm so ignorant but what are the "foo.u" and "ucc exportcache foo.u" files? I would really love to play UnWheel and I only have UT2004.

I'm not entirely sure, sorry. You'll have to wait 'till Shrimp comes back

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
GRAF1K, are you saying you get UnWheel to play, or that you make it as far as the menu? I Believe the first time I tried to start the game I only made as far as the vehicle choice menu. Adding the vehicles to existing maps also won't work.

GRAF1K

****** Kamikaze
Oct 16, 2003
Um, I haven't tried this with UnWheel specifically. I've just gotten it to work with my mod.

What do you mean adding vehicles to maps won't work? As in they behave as not placeable, or they don't show up ingame? I know AS-specific vehicles won't show up ingame in vCTF. It's probably something similar; the game thinks they don't belong there. A bit of coding required if I'm not mistaken as to the cause of the problem. Shrimp, get back already! :p

Last edited:

GRAF1K

****** Kamikaze
Oct 16, 2003
LOL! :lol:

When I metioned vCTF it got me to thinking. CTF doesn't accept vehicles, but obviously vCTF does. One of the VERY few things changed between these two gametypes is this: bAllowVehicles = true. How laughably easy. I hope this is all we'll need to get vehicles working. Unfortunatly I don't have time to check this out ATM, maybe later on today. :)

PS: If this works out, perhaps this thread should be renamed to "Good news for Beta 2". :p

Last edited:

GRAF1K

****** Kamikaze
Oct 16, 2003
Shrimp, I can't even get UnWheel to show up in the menu via what I discribed. You mentioned, however, that you manged to not only get it in the gametype list but get as far as the vehicle selection menu. If you know how, can you please extend UnWheel Race and add AllowVehicles=true in the defaultproperties? That ought to get stuff working, at least for you. :)

GRAF1K

****** Kamikaze
Oct 16, 2003
Err, I meant Steve. Sorry. :D

I'm up to 4 posts in a row. Anyone there?

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
Yup, we're here:) There has actually been quite a bit of forum exchanges here for the last week. There are resources UT2004 is looking for that arern't available in UT2004, but were in UT2003. I wish I knew how to help with the coding, but I can't:p

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
stevenhorton said:
Yup, we're here:) There has actually been quite a bit of forum exchanges here for the last week. There are resources UT2004 is looking for that arern't available in UT2004, but were in UT2003. I wish I knew how to help with the coding, but I can't:p

yeah, me neither, strictly a mapper.