Auto-turrets = t00_p0werful

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Audellah

Sep 3, 2004
Hi guys, remember that u2xmp is everything about strategy... so simply u can't do anything with any class: rangers are not done to blast loads of turrets, if u want to do that simply respawn as a gunner and fire rockets everywhere.
Or u can try lots of other strategies: u can hack energy sources and leave enemy without energy, or u can call teammates to help u (i use a lot the chat macros and with experienced collaborative teammates they do perfectly their job)... or, if the field is set up by an experienced tech and well guarded, simply u can't pass there alive: the maps are big and have an open structure with lots af passages.. take another way to get to the node, and maybe destroy the field getting there from behind it!

I usually play as a tech and i'm used to think at turrets like "tech weapons": i think that ranger and gunner weapons are a lot stronger, if used properly, than tech ones: in fact the sniper rifle and the rocket launcher can kill u with a single shot, while the tech really hardly can (with the shotgun at really really close quarters, but a ranger can run away easily and getting close to a gunner is certain death... :mad: ); so the tech should work at all this infamous tasks like place walls, defend node/energy/deploys and should use turrets in the right way to take an edge over other classes.

In the Garden map i love to defend the node: i place turrets at every door and patrol the area using the lock sounds of the turrets to sopt incoming foes: sometimes i got coupled with gunner defending with me and the node was REALLY IMPENETRABLE :lol: but turrets were just for support: if i left the node unguarded, it took few seconds for the enemy to wipe out all my turrets placed with love..! :mad:

I think turrets works well without any change; or at least would be functional for other classes to turn them on/off permanently... insted i want to point the discussion on gunner landmines: i think that they need REALLY SOME CHANGES because in u2xmp they were terrible teamkillers and was impossible to find smart ways do deploy them...

Mantik

Master Beta
Apr 2, 2004
Philthy
Audellah said:
i think that they need REALLY SOME CHANGES because in u2xmp they were terrible teamkillers and was impossible to find smart ways do deploy them...

If you can't realize that a vast majority of the defending tactics involved in maps that have a teleporter leading into the node, and you use the teleporter after you have enough energy for land mines and get TK'd by someone who's playing defense, helping your team out tremendously.. then I think that person has absolutely no right to complain, and I feel bad for the gunner.. but you know.. most people who play defense play it TO DEFEND, and not get a good score. If I'm on defense I could care less if I have a crappy score or how many team mates I killed. I spam like crazy the areas that I've mined and if someone is stupid enough to run into them, screw them I say. I'll just drop another mine and spam again, and repeat the process as often as necessary until the end of the game. The person who is defending the node gets precedence over the people who are on offense and just feel like traversing the hallways of their own base beforehand. Defenders cater to themselves, and they place mines in kill zones. Realize this, and avoid those areas. Defenders are not expendable, the stupid ass who steps on mines, however.. is.

I think mines are pretty much perfect as they are because an experienced player can survive teleporting onto them, but they will take dmg. Once again, they mainly slow people down.. and are used as a warning sign for the gunner that someone is incoming. A ranger doesn't like to keep a mine alive near his exit, because gunners will shoot the mine to take them out after they steal the arti and run, so 9/10 times the incoming will destroy all mines they can so it won't make stealing the arti ultimately fruitless. It all depends on how you play and who you're playing with. It's all about adaptability.

It's inevitable that you're going to have some asshat who can't read or is.. blind.. and deaf.. and has no feeling in his hands so he can't even realize which keys he's pressing.. (or WHATEVER the hell makes them do this) who continually leaps into friendly land mines time and time again by accident. There's always the cute "I'm going to make you TK because I was beaten as a child and now I suck at life so I transfer my negative energy and attitude onto an online FPS game called XMP" syndrome where people will purposefully run over your mines to be dicks. But whatever.

EDIT: I once again used the generalized statement of "you" in my first paragraph, meaning once again, "in general" and not "you" perse Audellah. I forgot Worf perused these forums, have to keep my pronoun usage in check ;P

Last edited:

Dragon_X

XMP Beta Tester
Oct 1, 2003
Audellah said:
in fact the sniper rifle and the rocket launcher can kill u with a single shot,

err what fact says sniper has 1 shot kill? its 2 shots, unless you have less then like 65hp

Naib

Jan 31, 2004
Audellah said:
in fact the sniper rifle and the rocket launcher can kill u with a single shot

I've yet to see a rocket one shot a tech. A ranger yes, but never a tech.

Dragon_X said:
err what fact says sniper has 1 shot kill? its 2 shots, unless you have less then like 65hp

You can, but you have to hit right in the middle of the head, so it's quite rare. A headshot will normaly do 95+ damage

Audellah said:
insted i want to point the discussion on gunner landmines: i think that they need REALLY SOME CHANGES because in u2xmp they were terrible teamkillers and was impossible to find smart ways do deploy them...

Just to add to what Mantik said. There is nothing to stop the other team from placing mines in your base, or anywhere on the map. You should always look out for mines whereever you are. At least your own defenders will mostly give you a warning. If someone walks onto a mine then it is always their fault

Mines are just about perfect the way they are. Landmines do the most damage, but have a short delay before they blow up, so you can avoid most (or even all) of the damage if you are quick. Trip mines are not as powerfull, but has an instant effect. The only thing I don't like about u2xmp mines, is the way tripmines will sometimes not go off when someone walks into it.

GotBeer?

The nozzle is now calibrating
Mar 10, 2004
57th State
Mantik just taught me a valuable lesson: screw my teammates if they're stupid enough to step on my mines. I'm not being sarcastic here, either. I've always tried to minimize the chances of my own team blowing themselves up, which hurt my defense. From now on I lay them where I need them, and spam the warnings that no one ever listens to. I'm going to have to add a new team message: "Mines all over the freakin' place!"

{DE}Rarhok

May 16, 2004
Audellah:
Thanks, it's good to hear your point of view as a tech and its nuances ^^
Since techs are more suited for defensive roles, auto-turrets allow them to extend their area of combat.
Anyway, with enough objects to take cover from turret locking, I'm happy :)

Concerning mines, I agree with Mantik in the same ways. If you're playing in a scrim, then your teammates can notify you which way they're coming through, or perhaps you can tell them how to come in.

Audellah

Sep 3, 2004
mmm... about landmines i have to agree with Mantik and all u guys who followed, but not completely; yes, base defenders have priority and if a mate blows up on a mine is not a great problem; but i think that TK is always a bad thing, even with noobs (their only fault is that they lack experience in the game, learning U2xmp is already difficult, experienced teammates should help!), and making friendly mines more recognizable (with a little glow, or with a tag like those for teammates) can bring a lot of benefits like:

- teammates can easily avoid friendly mines;
- the gunner doesn't have to redeploy mines every time a teammate steps on, that's quite an annoying thing, especially in the node where the blowing mine often destroys turrets, walls and other mines;
- defending gunners could get better scores :lol: ;
- maybe there will be less situations in where u steal an arti, run like hell to your node pursued by 2 gunners and then u step on a friendly mine put on your way by a noob... :mad: ;

someone in this thread pointed that giving turrets a tag would crate too much information on the screen, but mines are a lot less used, so there won't be the same problem

Mantik

Master Beta
Apr 2, 2004
Philthy
Audellah said:
maybe there will be less situations in where u steal an arti, run like hell to your node pursued by 2 gunners and then u step on a friendly mine put on your way by a noob... :mad:

I suicide into mines all the time as an artifact carrier in games. If the defense has the node mined and I got some pissed off people chasing me into the base I'm making damn sure I'm getting through that node to cap, negative score to the defender or not! It pisses a few of them off, but well.. again.. in that scenario, AC > ALL.

Audellah said:
making friendly mines more recognizable (with a little glow, or with a tag like those for teammates) can bring a lot of benefits

I've heard some people say that their mines do not glow. I've never played the game on a very low visual setting, but apparantly if you do, mines do not glow. They do glow though, if your settings are high enough. Every mine has a red or blue strip around the edge and the very top (the trip) is colored to the respective team as well. Mines will rarely slow down an experienced base breacher.. because an alt fire shock lance will take out anything in the immediate area, as will a grenade. Tech's gas grenades destroy mines as well. If the gas lingers enough it damages the mines, setting them off. The best use for mines is putting them in an inconspicuous place and using your rockets to detonate them when you want to. At least that's what I've found most people do anyways. That system eliminates un necessary TK's (unless you count the teleporter system of course) very easily, and is often times a better tactic against opponents anyways

[LNS]Jubei

DeMoN HuNTeR
Jan 22, 2004
just hop around the mines instead of hopping on them, look at the ground when you're going in own base and enemy base.

every player should know that already by now

and the whole teleporting with mines, if you do a sprint boost jump tru teleporter the mine will go off but you'll keep most of you're live

everybody should know that already too

Mantik

Master Beta
Apr 2, 2004
Philthy
flack ho said:
yeah but mines have a tendancy to blow up when u get near them

"Near" is a relative term. Your field of vision does something that industry insiders refer to as "limiting your visible field" if you can grasp that concept that is, I mean I don't want to sling all of the techno mumble jumble around or anything.

PRG

XMP Beta Tester
Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
Audellah said:
someone in this thread pointed that giving turrets a tag would crate too much information on the screen, but mines are a lot less used, so there won't be the same problem

And that is an open invitation to grief tactics.. It's not so easy to do if you don't know where they are. I dunno.. Mines are an invaluable tool in matches but on the pubs I never use them. I don't see what the problem is with that. I was merely posting showing the turrets on radar as a random thought. Mainly because it would be a good way to fix the leftover turrets defending that oh soo strategic tree.. They usually end up there when a less than skilled tech uses the tactic of turret and gas spam to defend turrets, which is appallingly effective yet totally devoid of skill.

[LNS]Jubei

DeMoN HuNTeR
Jan 22, 2004
flack ho said:
yeah but mines have a tendancy to blow up when u get near them

you're a gunner, if you're at full health you can do a mine jump instead of a trip mine jump
and still have enough health too destroy a jugger or get in a raptor

;)

Dragon_X

XMP Beta Tester
Oct 1, 2003
Naib said:
You can, but you have to hit right in the middle of the head, so it's quite rare. A headshot will normaly do 95+ damage

thats still not one hit, someone else has to do at least 5-10hp, sniper is never just one 1 hit(if the target wasnt attacked)

also mines are ok, i dont care if i get blasted by a friendly, as long as they revive me

Naib

Jan 31, 2004
Dragon_X said:
thats still not one hit, someone else has to do at least 5-10hp, sniper is never just one 1 hit(if the target wasnt attacked)

No, you can sometimes be killed in one shot from full health. I've had it happen to me a couple of times, and I've done it once

Last edited:

Dragon_X

XMP Beta Tester
Oct 1, 2003
Naib said:
No, you can sometimes be killed in one shot from full health. I've had it happen to me a couple of times, and I've done it once

i've never had a 1 shot sniper kill, even with a head shot to a ranger, i've never been killed by a sniper in 1 shot either :\