1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Auto-turrets = t00_p0werful

Discussion in 'General UTXMP Discussion' started by {DE}Rarhok, Aug 30, 2004.

1. {DE}Rarhok

{DE}Rarhok Status: Unhealthy

Hehe, they certainly stir my emotions. It's like... "Good job! Ya Bastages!!!" :lol:

2. FireCrack

FireCrack New Member

picking up where talon left off... it would be nice to have an ingame option that choses if urets spawn facing towards and away from you, i havent played in a long while but IIRC turrets spawned towards you and that made their placement annoying for me, i'd rather have them spawn facing away.

3. Naib

Naib New Member

I had that idea some time back. It should have left mouse button will face it away from you, right button towards you.

4. PRG

PRG XMP Beta Tester

Yah, doncha' lub it? Get yourself out of a sticky situation. Run into a very randomly placed turret. DEAD!!! Then sit there waiting to deploy wondering what would possess someone to put a turret there.. I notice that alot on pubs too.. You're kinda' stuck with a crummy team, oner energy and you can't keep the node online to save your life. I go try to to kill the turrets. OK none at the node, None at the gen, none at the deploys, finally even try the enemy node. WTF? Where are those damn 10 turrets my hud is showing me? All of this gives me a random idea.

Have turrets show up like players on your radar (your team's turrets only.)

5. Mantik

Mantik Master Beta

The ndoe would be nothing but a gigantic blob on your screen! :eek:

I still think having a set amount any one individual can deploy would be awesome, that would provoke more strategic placement and you won't have people who join games and set up force walls out the ass and turrets and drain your energy, and then TK you when you destroy them because you're dropping 50 energy a tick. I love those guys. The TKing part is the best, but them calling you a 'fagz0r' after the fact is the icing on the cake.

6. [DF]phalanx

[DF]phalanx bgutblower=true

ppl lay turrets in bizar places
    i've seen em sticking out of the walls in garden (on a very small ledge on the wall)
    on the trees on kaminari (hard to see cos they are nearly covered by the fog)
    on jump pads (so they land in the enemy base)

7. TalonHunter

TalonHunter This space for Rent

I like that idea, this way you could get them closer to some walls without needing to stand behind it..

What is the current rotation on the turrets.. 180 degrees??
    360 would be too much.. but something like 300 or 280 would make them a little more flexible on some maps. But, you would still be able to get behind them.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  8. W0RF

W0RF BuF Greeter, News Bagger

I think it's closer to 120 degrees on both the X and Y axes. And it should probably stay close to that to give ppl a chance to get around them.

9. PRG

PRG XMP Beta Tester

TMK(correct me if I'm wrong, I don't feel like digging for the exact info.) In theory, it's supposedly a 180 degrees arc, how ever god only knows where a turrets aim point actually is. I think it's right at the front of the guns for some odd reason. Hence you end up with an efftective arc that seems like less than 180. Honestly, this is a detail that needs to be gotten right. Any arc in excess of U2XMP turrets will be annoying and in the other direction will probably make turrets useless. Definitely something that needs testing between U2XMP and UTXMP.

10. Mantik

Mantik Master Beta

Maybe disabling the turrets can actually accomplish something instead of turning them off for 3 seconds until they turn back on. The option is virtually useless :?

11. |pure|Destruction

|pure|Destruction New Member

a long time ago in uxmp i was playing in a pub and observing how many newbs were throwing up turrets around the arti node. there had to be 50 deployables all over the node area.

#1 they were draining thier teams energy im sure down pretty quickly. which was unfair to thier teamates.
    #2 the defence was so tight it was useless to go in and try to steal an arti.

so i thought. why the hell is there not a limit on how many turrets or forcewalls a team can place during the game at ONCE? 20 should be the limit. 15 is sufficient. (this includes mines, fw's, turrets, trip mines, etc...) any more deployables than that at once is just overkill and can totally unbalance a game significantly.

just a thought.

12. W0RF

W0RF BuF Greeter, News Bagger

#1 is your answer to #2.

I love setting up forts around the throne room but only by placing stuff that will actually hinder the other team and not just 50 rocket turrets all facing away from the door :rolleyes: Also, if our team is losing energy or not moving up toward 800, I prioritize and take stuff down to help out.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  13. [DF]phalanx

lol
    i say limit force walls too 7
    no need for more then 7 and it stops ppl blocking off whole areas and stopping cars coming in and out :/
    u need at most 20 turrets 20 should be sufficiant for a map

14. Naib

Naib New Member

So what happens if I'm trying to defend the node with some deployables, but I can't because someone on my team is defending an out of the way tree at the far side of the map?

Also remember UTXMP is likely to allow larger maps, and larger teams without getting laggy. Once you start putting limits on the number of deployables, you will make it hard to defend on those maps.

tbh I can't see the point of adding a limit when there already is one - the energy. If there are to be changes then it should be done by changing how much energy the deployables take up, or by changing maps that allow it (eg the gens on Nakoja (IMO) give out too much power when you consider how many there are)

15. [DF]phalanx

if thier was a way to switch stuff off to get energy quicker

16. Emmet Otter

Emmet Otter I miss XMP :(

I find absoloutly nothing wrong with the turrets the way they are now and hope them to be the same in UTXMP.

I dont think theres much of a problem with turret farming at all, when theres sooo many options on cleaning them out! You can take their energy, clean house with several attackers going for artys, his own teamates taking them out when their energy drops (hehe) and so on.....To me, this just makes it more challenging and alot more fun than to just run in an arty room and simply win. There is nothing wrong with good D.

I dont think there is much of an issue anymore today with mindless turret farming and not strategically placing them as we did in the beginning when this game came out. Hence the noobs, which is why people need to be explained and educated about the limits and getting the most use out of those turrets when UTXMP comes out. Hence, they need a damn good tutorial that is easy to understand.

God! Ill never forget the frustration and anger when U2XMP came out and people were like placing turrets and force walls mindlessly throughout the map without the concept of energy. Again, when UTXMP comes out, you better expect to be dealing with noobs and just be patient with helping them out at understanding and knowing how and when to use (and to remove) those turrets and force walls.

17. Bishop F Gantry

Bishop F Gantry New Member

There are other things that needs to be deffended besides arti nodes, aswell there might be more techs aswell on your team...

18. Emmet Otter

Emmet Otter I miss XMP :(

limiting the amount off FW and turrets will not help.

19. Lyta

Lyta Sassy

The turrets worked fine in XMP - so where is the problem? Noob turret spammers will drain their teams energy but hopefully learn that quickly. Of course if the UTXMP players are way more stupid than the XMP players then there is a problem. But we'll see soon :lol:

My best situation: A node spammed over and over with mines and turrets. Looked like a modern artwork. I needed a single shot to a mine to wipe it away. :D

20. GotBeer?

GotBeer? The nozzle is now calibrating

It's called blowing stuff up/picking stuff up. And if a forcewall's in your way blow it up, or get out and walk :D

Personally, I think people are trying to change this game too much. It's one thing to fix the weapon balance, another thing to change something most people don't have a problem with. What is it a lot of people are fond of saying around here? "Next topic!"