1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Attention Spoon: JB-Oasis

Discussion in 'Jailbreak Maps and Add-Ons' started by gunhero, Feb 13, 2005.

1. gunhero

gunhero Banned

Attention Spoon: JB-Oasis bugs.

ok, i was talking to zed about some of the bugs in JB-Oasis. he said this is your map and i should consult you. maybe you know about these bugs and maybe you dont

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i can hide in there^

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  2. TheSpoonDog

TheSpoonDog CBP3! Yarrr!

Pic 1 - woops.. can't believe I didn't notice that.

Pic 2 is DXT texture compression. It can have trouble with smooth gradients between colours.

Pics 3, 5 & 6 are edges of projectors... which I never found terribly distracting tbh.

Pic 4 - I turned collision off for all the trees because I assumed many people would find it annoying crashing into them all the time (but I didn't end up having that many of them in the map anyway... maybe it could be turned on).

There is a much worse problem than these ones around, but I never wanted to release a new version just for that, but maybe I can fix this exploit, turn the tree collision back on & probably fix the projectors some time and it will be worth another version. Just no guarantees on *when* I actually get around to doing that :p

Thanks for pointing out the exploit!

3. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

well , don't be so hard on JB mappers :p

i think this map is very good , and i got nothing to blame it ,

apart that the terrain is a bit ''odd'' for a CBP2 mapper :p:p:p

:con: , yea , so

why make 7 trees for a little dumb difference....

Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
  4. RabidZombie

RabidZombie Freshly Removed Brains at half price!

BTW, Spoondog, found a little bug on the site, i noticed in the 2kx section, when you go to assault maps, then to Jailbreak maps (through the buttons above all the maps) it takes you to the ut99 jb maps, page 1

5. TK v3

TK v3 He Who Sucks Righteously At Mapping

In regards to four, that's merely a nitpick. Epic really botched up the engine in some ways, and collision for complex static meshes against vehicles is absolutely terrible. Remember last week when I got stuck in the tree?

6. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

well , the engine is not so terrible ,

all ut are pure games , i hate Hl2 and i am not a fan of farcry

i only play halo and ut or nfsu

because i think that ut 2004 is well done and damly flexible , what i meant by flexible , is that it comme with a so easy to use editor ,

the collision are bad if the meshe is , because i don't have trouble here <<<<

7. ZedMaestro

ZedMaestro Useless

If another version is released, something that should also be seriously reconsidered is the entrance style and hazard of each base.
    It is almost impossible to get even halfway thru the tubes before you get killed by someone living in the minigun turret. I've only seen it be done once, when a significant proportion of a team worked together to charge in and take out the minigunner. Basically, with one person in the turret, your base is fully defended.
    There are three options:
    • Move the minigun turret outside the tunnels. This means the minigun turret is exposed, but still potentially effective.
    • Removing the tunnels would allow vehicles to get into that area. Turreters would have a lesser advantage than before due to the larger viewing area they have to cover.
    • Make bigger tunnels to allow trick-jumps. If you really want to prevent vehicles getting in, put a few rocks infront of the entrances.
    The problem above is that it leads to some of the most boring games of jailbreak ever played. All but one member from each team get killed, then the remaining two players sit in their minigun turret waiting for an easy kill of the other. The jailed players just wait for a long time.

8. TheSpoonDog

TheSpoonDog CBP3! Yarrr!

Yep, got your email about that (but I still haven't fixed it) hope I remembered to say thanks for that :)

You can't just fire AVRIL missile(s) at it? Or do they shoot it down...?

I'm definately not removing the tunnels. Vehicles around the release switch suck, and that was the only thing I made sure couldn't happen. I'd either see if I can just lower the health of the turret, or do your first suggestion.

The whole map is a bit "odd" :p TBH, I just wanted to make a very quick map specifically for Vehicle JB as IMO there needed to be one for the JB "gold" release, seeing JB had unused vehicle support. Throw in a terrain, put lumps in it, surround it with cliffs... voila!

9. Aersik

Aersik Turbo charged pogo stick

Avril rockets can be shot down, particularly easily with rapid fire weapons. The only way to safely take out the turret is to snipe it down the tunnel when you can just see the edge of the turret, but the gunner cant see you.

The main problem with the turrets is that they were introduced largely to offer resonable defence against vehicles. The few examples where turrets are used solely against people on foot (as-convoy and as-fallencity spring to mind) use turrets placed in the open where the attackers can take them down without too much difficulty, unless the defence links them. With the turret defending the base being placed where it is so hard for any attackers to stand a fair chance of taking it down, it more or less kills the fun when someone camps it.

Two options i can think of (one already mentioned):

1. Reduce minigun turet health, and reduce nearby access to link ammo/weapon caches (if there is any - I'm not at my machine at the moment, so I can't check). This allows attackers to take down the turret without a prolonged sniping match unless the defence went out of their way to get the link (as with the mine layer).

2. Move the turret to the, umm, "lump" outside the base and put them against the vehicles they were meant to face (and that have a better chance of destroying it). Either have one that can see both approaches, or one facing either way (I'm not much of a vehicle player so I don't know what would be balanced).

There is also an empty weapon base in the arena. IIRC, it should have a shock rifle, and it's closest to the red spawn. edit: screenshot added

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  10. RabidZombie

RabidZombie Freshly Removed Brains at half price!

11. Trueblood

Trueblood Silly Brit

Yup :)
    [​IMG]
    I dont pay too much attention to detail when im playing. If i want to see a detailed landscape i go outside :rolleyes: . As far as i know, an upside down tree would make stop and say... "waaaait a sec :lol: " but sudden changes in colour doesnt bother me at all. Too much fuss :p

12. Aersik

Two things:

Firstly, could someone please walk into the circled area in the first screenshot (basically along the edge of the cliff) and see if their screen stops updating (fps=0)? I suspect it's a reacurrance of the mystery alarsica bug, but I can't be sure. Edit: caused by an anitportal straying into the playing area.

Secondly, there are two holes (the fall completely out of the map kind) in the arena. I've tried to show their location with the screenshots, but if you run aroung the edge of the arena you should find them. Thy're roughly opposite each other. And of course the terrain hole in the blue base, shown in gunheros 1st and last screenshots.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  13. gunhero

gunhero Banned

Very good eye, Aersik.

now spoon will eventually have to do a version 2 as there are a lot of things that need to be fixed.

as for Kantham: yea sure if it a couple of small bugs. It needs to be fixed especially with a map with a exploit since we are going to have a tournament i think this great map deserves a fix. kthxsbai :lol:

14. gunhero

gunhero Banned

ok, found this at last lockdown... some one said theres a terrain hole that can allow you to get through

[​IMG]

15. A Jailbreak fan

A Jailbreak fan Banned

good finds. these need a fix. SpoonDogg if you need a help with these bugs PM me

16. TheSpoonDog

TheSpoonDog CBP3! Yarrr!

Okay, I've fixed pretty much all of those crucial bugs, except for the trees, as I still think they shouldn't have collision.

JB-Oasis-v2

I'll upload it to nalicity in a couple of days if there's no other bug reports before then.

17. A Jailbreak fan

A Jailbreak fan Banned

good job mate. Totally impressed with your detication to bug fixing. going to check now

cheers

edit: tried it

arg.

1. At red jail there is a piece of terrain with no collision - check gunheros posts.

2. TERRAIN. is there any way to fix those crappy lines? it looks too awfull.

3. LOL at those SHOCK CORES. they're gigantic. fix them. acually i saw gunheros post about your previous shock cores. make them stock.

4. skybox is a bit messed. maybe messing around with photoshop would help?

5. tree colision is good. leave that off.

please fix these and it will be better for 2004c

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  18. gunhero

gunhero Banned

yo dude, you didn't fix it all but, its pretty good.

1. make sure you fix those gay shock cores. sorry but it looks really stupid.

2. terrain needs a smoothing gradient. zed knows how to do it. ask him

3. i like the new jail layout

19. TheSpoonDog

TheSpoonDog CBP3! Yarrr!

Ah, I thought it was that you could actually escape the jail, I had just fixed that, but I've also fixed it so you can not walk inside that mesh now, for visual purposes.

I know how to smooth terrain layers... but it appears to be a bit deeper than that. A particular texture layer seems to be causing the problem, whether its smoothed or not. I'll look at it tomorrow night if I have time. The confusing part, and the reason I thought it was fixed is because it looks fine in the editor... only does it in-game.

Forgot about them, fixed.

Can't be screwed, I don't have the source/high detail files and don't want them to be RGBA8. Besides, you don't see the compression when you're actually playing the game ;)

o_O I haven't touched the jail layout...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  20. Aersik

The shock rifle on the red side of the arena still isn't spawning.

Plays much better now though :)