Attempting to make custom Announcer pack, sounds won't play ingame

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

HitCoder

Apr 19, 2021
Hello, sorry if I'm barging into the wrong forum section, I'm not really too sure on where to post for this. I'm attempting to make custom announcer voicepacks for UT2004:

I've been working today on recording (myself and some friends) some custom announcer voice-packs just for fun. I've formatted everything at 22050Hz WAV, 16bit. I've compared the file data side-by-side with the stock voices. I've made my own .uc files by hand, compiled them, and made my own configs etc.
When i select any of the 3 custom announcers, I hear a sample played back just fine. I think to myself "ah, so it worked."
I start a game, and suddenly the announcer is gone and I hear nothing.

I'm not sure where to go to post this to ask for help, I'm only really doing it for fun but it's not so fun when it all seems like it should work but doesn't.

If you'd like to check over anything I can provide any of the files; the .uc files, the .u files, the .ucl files, and the uax files etc. I've been attempting to fix this for a few hours but I can't find anything that's missing, and the fact the sample sound is playing when I click on the new announcer voice is throwing me off.

Is there a specific audio length? is there other stuff I should be doing? most definitely yes to the latter, but I'm genuinely not sure.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Problem has been resolved. I made an error in my .uc files which I resolved, but I didn't realize I had to delete the .u and .ucl files from my System folder to re-build them.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
That has been always the case, maybe only unreal engine 4 or whatever doesn't do that, but yes unless you change code into editor and resave you have to always delete the files when recompiling. That was always the case since the original Unreal game. I forgot what the .ucl stuff was for though in ut2kx as its missing from the other games.

I believe that even in the may 1997 beta of unreal or earlier when building a *.ucx file the file must not be present in the system/classes either. So it is really something very old and always present in Unreal that it has to be not existing. To some people that's nonsensical because the changes could be incorporated on the fly when recompiling like in other environments, but it was just never the case with Unreal and its derived engines and continuations. (until ue4 or whatever but im not familiar with that and it ditched unrealscript too)

HitCoder

Apr 19, 2021
yeah I get it, I just haven't worked with unreal scripts for a few years.
I'm glad I know now though.