1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UE3 - UDK Attach particle system to sockets

Discussion in 'Programming' started by brunomartelli, Aug 4, 2010.

1. brunomartelli

brunomartelli New Member

Does anyone knwo what the code should be to attach a particle system to a socket in UDK? or a good link to a tute? I just cannot get it to work..:eek:

2. brold9999

brold9999 New Member

Can you be more specific? What is a "socket"?

At any rate, I would recommend finding something in UT3 that does something close to what you want, and look at the code for that as an example.

3. brunomartelli

brunomartelli New Member

A socket is a thing you can create to add to a character skeleton bone, to attach something to like a gun or particle system. You can create sockets for vehicles too....I have looked at some examples but I dont get it, hence the post...

4. brold9999

brold9999 New Member

Ah, i suspected that you were referring to attaching things to bones.

The function DoKismetAttachment in Pawn.uc provides a pretty clear example of how to attach an Actor to a bone or socket. There is a similar function in SkeletalMeshActor.uc. Depending on your purposes, you may be able to use the Kismet action directly, otherwise you can modify that code to suit your purposes.

5. eblade

eblade New Member

AttachComponentToSocket()

6. brunomartelli

brunomartelli New Member

would Bone/Socket Location in Cascade do it?

7. farshad12

farshad12 New Member

Just put this in your code:

Code:
    Mesh.AttachComponentToSocket(MyEffect, MySocket);
    MyEffect variable is from type ParticleSystemComponent, and MySocket variable is from type Name. That's it.