1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ATi or NVIDIA

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by Nordoch, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Nordoch

Nordoch New Member

LOLZZ ROTFL.....

BTW dude do you or ant1 else has some nice Multiplayer vids....?

2. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Do you already have the 3000+?

3. Nordoch

Nordoch New Member

yeah!!!!...why you asking is it bad...???

4. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

He is most likely getting at the fact that if you didnt already have one to buy a better one, and don't spend quite so much on the graphics.
    But since you have it already I wouldnt worry

5. Nordoch

Nordoch New Member

!!!!!pheeeew!!!!!! :)

6. hal

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. I own a 3200+ and am starting to sweat it a little. I figure I'll at least be able to manage medium settings.

7. DeathBooger

DeathBooger Malcolm's Sugar Daddy

I have a dual core AMD. Here's some benefits:

...DVD re-authoring takes 1/3 of the time. 15-20 minutes instead of an 1+ hours, including analysis and burning.
    ...someday games worthwhile will take advantage of it.
    ...I can render stuff in minutes instead of hours, but that only affects people who work in 3D digital art stuff.

That's about it, des windows booting in 10 seconds or less, whoopidy doo. I'd imagine music encobesiding would be pretty quick too.

8. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

Nothing a bit of overclocking shouldn't be able to sort ;)
    On a dual core 3800 here, will easily do 4600+ speeds, Should work pretty well. (I hope so :p)

To add to what Beergut said:
    MULTITASKING!
    great for me, My rig doesnt crawl to a standstill when doing a full rebuild in UED any more ;)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  9. hal

...and UT2007 is supposed to take advantage of the dual core. Unfortunately, when I bought my 3200+ there was no such thing as a dual core. ;)

10. DeathBooger

DeathBooger Malcolm's Sugar Daddy

Yeah, multitasking is nice, I can't play on the internet while a complex scene renders now. I used to try to do that and got no where. Also, I have a 4400+, it was $450, I can clock it to the $1000 FX-60 if I wanted to, same core. I should probably do that soon since I bought DDR500 memory. :p

11. Saverous

Saverous New Member

And that is not enough? Quite significant tendency. BTW you forget about FEAR. 7800 is faster in quality settings, and X1800 XT is faster with AA and AF, but if you want to play FEAR on max settings with AAx4 AFx16, you will need something more powerful then X1800 XT. I'm not the nvidia fan, but at the moment ATI is behind. If with next gen video cards ATI will take a lead - well, great, more competition - better products and lesser prices.

12. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

It's called the X1900 XT(X). It is way faster than any Geforce in shader-intensive games like FEAR - with 48 pixel pipelines, what do you expect?

13. Nordoch

Nordoch New Member

I 've also noticed one thing that ATi always has better clock speeds to nvidia.

14. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Unfortunately, clock speeds make little to no difference in the video card world, the majority of performance relies in the architecture.

15. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

I've just bought a 7800GTX Extreme Edition, it was B-Grade and costed £140 instead of £300......
    Think I can cope with missing cables or a damaged box :p

If all else fails I'l sell it on :)

16. Sahkolihaa

Sahkolihaa Ow...

Same goes with CPUs, unless it's the AMD FX's (if I clock my FX-55 to 2.8GHZ instead of 2.6 I get quite a few more frames in most games, only problem is it's unstable at times).

17. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Yah, CPU's to some measure... Although I think more CPU is better than more GPU...

18. gregori

gregori BUF Refugee

Its all greek to me! Wahtever allows the game play descently (no slideshow)

19. Jofo

Jofo New Member

No, for gaming you want more Graphics Performance from your GPU and more processing ectoplasma from your CPU. For editing you still want both. I am not sure but i recall reading that the gpu needs to be constantly fed with data which may result in the excess framerates. And yes clock speeds make no difference unless your hardware is willing to squeeze more data through or accept or send it at an astonishing rate that will result in the melting of your processor.

I'm hoping i wont need any of these
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121213

but uh yea. I'd still go with nvidia, cause well, it supports both direct-whatever and opengl properly, atleast the support gets better and better.

20. zakapior

zakapior New Member

I think about 5000-6000 3dmarks05 will be fine to play medium- high unreal 2007 --> 1024x768
    I have 6800ultra 5750 3dmarks05 and i play fear without softshadows maximum detail fsaa 2x anizo 4x at 1280x1024 and have average 40fps

256 mb vram will be very important ( textures)

And I m sure that with optimized unreal ungine i will play medium- high detail in unreal

epic said something about 64 bit version of unreal with better textures and effects