1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ATi or NVIDIA

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by Nordoch, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Saverous

Saverous New Member

2. DeathBooger

DeathBooger Malcolm's Sugar Daddy

Nvidia drivers suck though. Every time there's a new game, you have to wait for new drivers for it to be fully playable.

3. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

:D
    Except for Riddick, Serious Sam and Quake 4 The X1800XT is ahead by quite a way.
    And on High settings the X1800XT is almost level / pulling away (depending on the game)
    Also those tests only go up to 1280x1024, go higher in res and the X1800XT pulls away even more.

You will also take not that they are on old drivers, each new driver release the X1*00 series is getting faster

4. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Well, considering the x1800xt is out of his budget, I think we can drop that from the equation in this thread.

5. DeathBooger

6. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

Enjoy

7. DeathBooger

8. hal

Okay, well the prices have dropped on that card! That's a heckuva deal.

9. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

Its going just as well over in the UK.
    Thank the top of the range cards for this, The prices of the ATI cards are really putting NVidia under some pressure.

10. hal

IIRC, the x1800xt started out around $500.00, if you could find one. That's a pretty significant drop and it's certainly a powerful card. Very nearly the equal of the x1900xt series.

11. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

That's VERY overexaggerated. It may be true with the extremely top of the line card they have out at the time, but then ATI's drivers always have performance problems on every one of their cards but the top two or three and new games are practically unplayable anyway until the next patch.

It's really a wash. For me, nVidia's drivers install cleaner, faster, better, smaller, and work in Linux perfectly.

12. DeathBooger

zOMG U suck at UC. ATI rulez.

13. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

I wouldn't take it as far as some games are unplayable on ATI cards unti lthe next drivers, haven't seen any reports of this myself - any evidence. In my experience the driver update that follows a new game usually brings some boost in performance, but there was never a dramatic problem before hand like NVidia had with both Oblivion and Tomb Raider

Agreed on the linux ront though.

14. Sir_Brizz

Well I've played both of those games on my 7600GT just fine with relatively old drivers.

Part of the problem is that people use 10 month old drivers and expect it to work on everything. My guess is that certain features that games use aren't in the driver set or were kind of nerfed because they weren't being used. ATI does this too, but from my experience, ATI card users upgrade their drivers alot more commonly than nVidia users do (usually being with 1 or 2 revisions off the latest, vs 10 or 20 in nVidia's camp).

And both companies have had problems with their top line of cards in terms of them working well with brand new games. That's always going to happen because, in terms of the card's age, the drivers are relatively immature.

15. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

If only people actually read the info on installing a new game; "install the latest drivers for your graphics card"
    :lol:

Went round to have a lok at my brothers freinds pc a while back, he was having loads of trouble with new games.... his drivers where a year out of date

16. Nordoch

Nordoch New Member

Well, coming to conclusion [after a numerous threads on prices] im consedering X1800XT.

Special thanx to The_Head and Sir_Bizz u guys RULE!!!!

One more question though, will the AMD-64 3000+ be a bottleneck for
    X1800XT performancee wise.

Awaiting inputs......

17. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

It might be bottle necked to a certain degree.
    If you run on really low settings in a game the priocesser will hold you back.
    But if you run with nice AA and AF (something this card does well with ;)) it will not hold you back too badly.
    As to how this comes into play on UT2007 I think it is a bit early to say, since none of us have palyed it yet, we can only hazard a guess. But I would like to think you will be ok with that setup.

18. Sir_Brizz

Yah, I never understand this. I usually check every 2 months or so for new drivers.

Of course, by the time people were having trouble with Oblivion or Tomb Raider there were probably already drivers out to fix it... dumb people...

19. Nordoch

Nordoch New Member

Thanx man!!

One more good thing about this forum is you get quite prompt responses...;)

20. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

We are cyber people. We are the internet. We must serve...

nah were just people who do more in the virtual world than the real world..
    I badminton today, first sport I have played since September.... lol