1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ATi or NVIDIA

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by Nordoch, Apr 19, 2006.

1. -AEnubis-

-AEnubis- fps greater than star

I doubt PS3 will use d3d. Meaning if any graphical optimization is being done with that in mind, it will probably be written more for openGL, and if that is the case nvidia > *.

It's really all about API. If your comparing how each company runs d3d, and nvidia even does compare, I'd go with nvidia, because it's running it's "off API" at a rate that is pushing the competition.

I personally, wouldn't buy hardware for a single software title, so I just go with what I think will run the most vast array of games, in case I decide to play other stuff. I'll be going with a pair of 6800GTs.

2. sinikk

sinikk Balance in all things

(from the BU UT2007 page)

That means ATI's Radeon X1000 series or Nvidia's GeForce 6/7 boards. I'd go ATI simply because of the ability to do HDR + AA. (and I'm pretty sure that UT2007 will have HDR)

3. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Ugh... I don't like ATI at all. I'm staying away from them for at least the next couple of generations, just like I did back in the GF4 days.
    :lol: That's never happened with an ATI card before, has it? *shifty eyes* :p

4. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

I have to side with Sir_Brizz on that. Every ATi card counterpart of its nVidia model has had driver issues from all the testing I've done (and believe me, I've tried a lot of cards on a lot of different systems).

5. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

1) What is your budget.
    2) When do you want to buy? (i.e. will you be using it for demanding new games right now, or do you just want a card for UT2007?)

6. pilarius

pilarius New Member

Hmmm. I just want a card that could run UT2007 at 1024x768, I donĀ“t care on which details...I need just good framerate at this resolution in ONS/CON.
    I am buying new computer this week, I were choosing between X1800XT (512) and 7900GT because of price in our country.
    My choose is 7900GT because it is more silent, wont heat my computer that much, its a bit cheaper and has got better FPS in majority of games...

7. Saverous

Saverous New Member

actually video card must support 3.0 pixel shaders as I know, so at least NV 6.x/7.x or ATI X1X00. For the middle-level cards X1600XT quite slow because of it's 128-bit bus.
    I think nVidia 7600GT is a very good choice for a ~$200 price

8. f.sardis

f.sardis Member

i think 2007 will run fine at lowest settings on a 6800. from there on you can start making plans. i got a pair of 7800GT. if it doesnt run with max quality at 1024x768 at least, then the game will be either unoptimised or too demanding. both of which mean sales will drop.

9. sinikk

sinikk Balance in all things

Not that the 7600GT isn't a good choice (its definitly better that the X1600XT), but didn't it also have a 128-bit memory bus?

10. Saverous

Saverous New Member

yeah and that's not good at all, but 7600GT already faster than X1600XT. Actually even 6600GT with GDDR3 memory gives better fps than that junk

11. Ice Dragoon

Ice Dragoon Yes, we have Flack.

nvidia is alot more reliable for the older CPUs but ati is better for the newer ones. (like the XPS notebook from dell)

12. Nordoch

Nordoch New Member

budget would be rougly around $325,

and yes the card should also give me performance in regards with other games.

13. toniglandyl

toniglandyl internal data fragmentation : 62203480%

but do you want to buy your card now or can you wait till next year with your current card?

14. Nordoch

Nordoch New Member

Yes, i think i'l wait atleast till the demo comes out, Buying a video card with SM 3.0 is a good idea x800 doesnt have it. Btw any word out on the release date for the demo i think it will after the E3 i.e, after May.

15. Nordoch

Nordoch New Member

no No no NO...not a year plz :( maybe after a month or two.

16. Saverous

Saverous New Member

The recommended price for 7900GT is $299, not bad choice IMO. But maybe you can wait for cards on G80 or R600 chips, because of upcoming DirectX 10.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  17. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

18. Saverous

Saverous New Member

O Rly? Where, in 3DMarks? If you want to play in syntetic tests, then of course X1800XT is your choice, but if you play in games then 7800>1800

19. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

YA RLY!
    *cough*
    Nice load of interactive benchmakrs there, this one is particularly impressive, although I suppose its running on high settings, which is good for ATI (If you want High AA and AF choose an X1800XT > 7800GTX)
    check out the low quality bench on FEAR, seems the X1800XT wins again.
    OOo just found one that the 7800GTX wins on, if you play Black and White with low res and no AA or AF (aka fugly) the 7800GTX pulls a 6fps lead.
    Even in Doom that is an OpenGL game the 7800GTX barely pulls a lead at low res, put it in high res and the X1800XT pulls ahead.
    Think your point is proven wrong until you have some further proof.

wtf is that suposed to mean? how on earth is that relavent?

20. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Most of the time, reviews are talking about the difference between 140fps and 139 fps, etc. This time I bought based on drivers and not on 5 frames per second, so I went with nVidia.