1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ATi or NVIDIA

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by Nordoch, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Nordoch

Nordoch New Member

Hello, I just wanted to know which graphics card would run UT2007 better ATi or NVIDIA to give better performance with AMD 64 , Im thinking to go for X800(pretty old i know). Any suggestions are welcome.

2. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

Very difficult to say at this stage. I can say that you'll want to get something more powerful than an X800 to run UT2007 at anything above lowest detail.

3. Nordoch

Nordoch New Member

thanx for replying pal, OMG X800 will run the game in low details :eek:
    would a X1600XT be good enough. BTW what would U suggest.
    Im presently using AMD-64 3000+, 1GB Dual channel, MSI RS482M2, and a SATA [preety feeble RIG compared to u all(s)].

4. f.sardis

f.sardis Member

the 1600 is lower or on par than the x800 in performance. you are looking for a 1900 or 7900 for single gpu system to play the game at decent quality.

5. DeathBooger

DeathBooger Malcolm's Sugar Daddy

Nvidia is the devil.

6. _Lynx

_Lynx Strategic Military Services Staff Member

The game is being developed on nVidia hardware, so may be nVidia will have some advantage. But UT2003/2004 have equal performance on rival cards.

7. Nordoch

Nordoch New Member

THANK U ALL for replyin..but my budget is pretty tight so lookin for a good performer with a decent price.

8. toniglandyl

toniglandyl internal data fragmentation : 62203480%

wait then.

9. Nordoch

Nordoch New Member

how long.....????

10. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

Until the game comes out.

11. DeathBooger

Oh please. Nvidia just gives Epic endorsement money for having their logo in the game. Tomb Raider Legend has the same logo and it ran like crap on Nvidia cards until they came out with a new driver. They had the audacity to say, "plays best on Nvidia" in the game and it was getting 2-8fps due to the drivers.

12. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

I found that so funny when I first heard of the problem.
    Runs great on my X800XL :p

13. Mætlöaff

Mætlöaff New Member

I would just wait until the x1900 drops price, if you're aiming for a single card. Then again, by then, there might be some benchmarks available to compare and contrast cards.

Myself, I don't care much about the Nvidia/ATI fanboy wars; whatever one's cheapest and can run the game well enough gets my vote.

14. Nordoch

Nordoch New Member

I appreciate all your time and feedbacks, waiting for more inputs.

15. Sahkolihaa

Sahkolihaa Ow...

Reminds me of Unreal 2/UT2003. It says "Maximise your experience with Pentium 4" on the back of the boxes, yet AMD completely owns Intel on any Unreal 2 engine based game :rolleyes:

16. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

You say that as if Intel wins on some other games :p

17. DeathBooger

Meh, I paid $500 for an X1900XT. It could be cheaper in 8 months, but not by much, I'm using it now with other games.

18. Renegade Retard

Renegade Retard Defender of the newbie

Bottom line....Epic has not let anyone know what the system requirements will be as of yet. However, based on Epic's history, you will probably need one of the later model GPU's to run at anything other than lowest details.

Best thing is to simply wait and see.

19. Neophoenix

Neophoenix Bast's Pet

Computer Gaming World just did an artical last month saying that the ATI Radeon X1900 XT has the best performance for what you pay. And it's not overly priced like the GeForce 7800 GTX 512. Plus it is only 50$ more that the Radeon X1800 XT. And considering That the 1800 even out performs the 7800, I would go for the ATI if you are going to buy in the near future.

20. Phopojijo

Phopojijo A Loose Screw

Outperforms? Not really. It posts higher framerates, but ATI's drivers have a nasty habit of turning off features you turn on when it wants higher framerates.

See: X800 Anisotropic Filtering "Optimizations" (Running Brilinear filtering until a benchmark queries mipmap tables -- when it then switches to Trilinear filtering -- and only while it queries mipmap tables)