Assigning material grayed out? Issue

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
Anyone know why my (Assign Material to Selection) button is grayed out?
I don’t have this problem with the default materials but for some reason my 32bit TGA texture will not let me use this button.
In the Material-map-Browser I had the Get From set to “New” as I imported the TGA through the bitmap button.

Can anyone recommend the correct way to import textures into max for use on meshes that will be used for statich meshes?
It’s my understanding that 32bit TGA files are uncompressed and are good for working between Max and Unreal becouse it saves the original quality before compressing them in the editor which would be last. This Document is at the UDN web site.

anyway I don't understand why this button is grayed out, the texture size is 512x512

Attachments

• assi_m.jpg
    assi_m.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 27

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
Never mind I found out why it was not working. And I have to give credit to Spooge from Spooger’s place for this info.

You can not load a texture through the material browser, however you must use the Map button to the right of the defuse swatch or it will not work correct and you’ll kill the sphere in the sample window resulting in a flat texture in the sample window and the assign button will be grayed out.

Attachments

• map_b.jpg
    map_b.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 24

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
Correction - everyone who doesn't already know it should read it :) Or possibly read it, think "yep that's what I do anyway" and move on. Whichever.

Good bit of info though, I've had the 'Did you forget to include ALL textured geometry blah blah' message once or twice after a clean install of Max (forgetting to hit the appropriate checkboxes when exporting, since they default to unchecked).

All good fun :D