Assassin's Creed 3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
The only thing I'm not sure about at this point is the naval warfare stuff, because it's largely unknown how it actually works, and the AC games haven't really been strong on the mini-game type stuff in my mind. The rest definitely looks fantastic.

I didn't even know about it until I saw the video above. I can safely say i'm not even remotely interested in it and share your reservations.

The clsoest thing i've known to a truely engaging and fun naval battle actually involved hot air balloons. (Air Buccaneers)

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I plan on starting the Ass Creed bundle I bought during the summer sale right around the time AC3 releases. That way by the time I do get around to playing the new game it will be on sale for about 50%

Reason being is that they are going to release stupid post story dlc. More often than not this means they cut shit out of the main game or put some stupid To Be Continued BS. Not happening on my watch fellas. 50% off main game and quite possibly a 50% off the dlc will be just dandy.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
yeah I don't know what Kantham meant by that... but the Naval-based combat is actually looking pretty cool.

I just hope it's implemented in a way that makes sense.
not like a stupid minigame, like the tower defense thing they tried to do in AC Revelations.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
Ok, a little bit late, except for BuF.

I would've known if it were early or late if it had already been posted. ;)
I can't know what people on these forums have or haven't seen.
I didn't care whether it was new or not, just whether it had been seen or not.
You not taking your anti-pedantry tablets anymore?

official new gameplay trailer featuring Connor's story.
pretty bad ass stuff on display.

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmL-5Wbo_Sk[/m]

Nice. Not much left of the game story left to tell though if they keep this up.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
This finally came out on PC and I've played about 7 hours.

So far all I have to say is...

Wut?

While many of the mechanics of this game are nice, I am absolutely flabbergasted at some of the design reversals they've done. It feels far more like a sequel to Assassin's Creed 2 than Revelations.

First, why is the "introduction" to the game more than 5 hours long? Good grief! I already know how to assassinate people, let me get on with it.

Second, there are SO MANY gameplay interruptions. Run around a corner: cutscene. Fall off a bridge: cutscene. Die: be forced into the same cutscene over again.

Third, mission requirements are WAY too freaking rigid this time. There are too many instant fail missions just from being noticed and not even really discovered.

Fourth, "checkpoints" are far too distant from each other. I can't tell you how many times I had to play the same 20 minutes of a mission because I fell off a boat at the end of it. It's ridiculous.

And this is just the first 7 hours! I've already heard that, plotwise, the game is pretty awful since many of the complaints pre-release were realized in the game (such as Conner and his attire not fitting in to virtually any scenario he is placed in and being force fed plot lines from nearly every major event of the American revolution). That won't keep me from continuing my playthrough, but geez...

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Third, mission requirements are WAY too freaking rigid this time. There are too many instant fail missions just from being noticed and not even really discovered.

And this is probably why I'll never play it. That shit makes me break controllers.

Well, I may play it someday, but not at $49.99.

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Brizz is right on pretty much all of his points.

however I will say this: it does get better as you get further in. but the beginning of the game is terrible. you would think that - for a series that's been around like 10 years and had 5 installations - Ubisoft would get rid of the whole "training" stage and assume that most people understand how AC works.

if people are truly new to the game, they can take up a "training" segment.
but it should be entirely optional. experienced players should be allowed to skip at least the first 5-6 hours of AC3.

HugoMarques

☆☆☆☆☆
Dec 14, 2010
Portugal
I'm also waiting for a price drop before buying it. I'm also hoping that by the time I pick it up, the game has been patched to turn the first 5-6 hours into an optional tutorial and fixed the checkpoint system.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
post launch dlc = me waiting for a price drop

Stupid instafail if caught stealth sections = even more of a price drop. Might as well give me the game for free ya mangy stupid dolts. Who comes up with these decisions and why aren't they fired for being dumb shits?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
One other thing I forgot to mention is walking with people. In Revelations they finally made it so you would auto walk next to people you were following so there was no "walk too slow, run too fast" kind of situations. Shockingly, this feature is gone. Back in full force is the walk too slow, run too fast annoyance that mars just about every story-based game ever.

Seriously, guys?

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
One other thing I forgot to mention is walking with people. In Revelations they finally made it so you would auto walk next to people you were following so there was no "walk too slow, run too fast" kind of situations. Shockingly, this feature is gone. Back in full force is the walk too slow, run too fast annoyance that mars just about every story-based game ever.

Seriously, guys?
:lol: I noticed that too.

in all honesty it's still a great game for many reasons. I'm not regretting buying it on release day and it doesn't change my opinion of the series itself, or even of Ubisoft for that matter.
things could always be better. things could be a lot worse. my primary complaint with buying anything on release day (not just AC3) is the prevalence of post-launch DLC which I despise with every bone in my body.

I usually buy my base games.
I usually pirate the DLC. that's my protest and I'm sticking to it.