1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Article at Bit-Tech says UT 2007's graphics are disappointing

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by Killer-Joe, May 15, 2006.

1. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

He said 'Domination' ... not 'Double Domination'.
    And describing Onslaught as the combination of assault (objective-based gameplay), CTF (remember those orbs in the vids ?) and Domination (controlling a specific point to gain points) sounds pretty accurate to me.

/// ---
    It is a tank. It just is a ff-ing huge tank.
    In the real world we've seen "light" tanks that can be dropped by plane and huge mean beasts (like a super heavy German tank nicknamed 'mouse').

And as for his comments on framerate ... not lies either.
    Some people simply aren't happy if the game isn't running at 120 fps.
    Plenty of people would refer to the typical unstable 30 fps in UT2kx-series as being 'ropey'. Add to this the knowledge that Epic really does use some pretty fast beasts to show this game then there's certainly more than a little need for optimisations.

Even UT2kx didn't reach the 60 fps limit at release. Epic themselves said there was no hardware that could perform like that at release! So why would anyone expect UT2k7 to be any different ?

Sure ... there's going to be optimisations, but I certainly wouldn't want to run this game on the minimum spec machines they advertise for. Even the 'recommended' specs aren't enough to see it in all its glory unless you sacrifice a few things.

Also consider that GoW isn't suffering from the same problems, is near release and it's using the same tech on a ff-ing console that is barely the equivalent of that 'high end'-pc they're using as a demo-machine for UT2k7 ...

I guess you're all looking to some pretty pink-coloured glasses if you're expecting some kind of miracle between now and release. Optimisations happen *before* the code is final. Afterwards it can quite easily cost double the money/time.

2. Phopojijo

Phopojijo A Loose Screw

Because it was a DirectX10-optimized game running on DirectX9.
    Neither was the GeForce FX 5200 -- that won't run it though.

But yea -- they are full of crap though.

Last edited: May 17, 2006
  3. DeathBooger

DeathBooger Malcolm's Sugar Daddy

The engine is still being worked on, they just finished the renderer a month ago. When they say optimizations, they mean they're optimizing the game engine, not the game it's self. If you notice, all of the first slew of UE3 games are coming out during the same timeframe, late-2006 or early-2007, it's because they're still working on the engine.

Last edited: May 17, 2006
  4. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

It might not help that they are running the game in the most maximum of settings possible in the game.

Also, let's not forget that this generation isn't as CPU dependant as 2k4 was. People who had bought Athlon64's just after 2k4's release were running the game at highest settings over 60fps consistently.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2006
  5. Felous

Felous New Member

You mean frame rate problems? Well, some Gamespot dudes pointed out that the frame rate got a beating during the conference or somewhere else I can't quite remember where. Though, they played multiplayer 4x4 Gears of War behind closed doors and, they said there was no frame rate problems... but let's say Gears of War is still having a few frame rate problems.

6. Kharnellius

Kharnellius .

I'm not telling you anything new when I say that consoles are dedicated gaming platforms with very little overhead...You can acheive amazing results with much lower hardware when this is little to no overhead.

There are about 1000 other reasons but to mention all of them is wasting time on a subject I think we both know plenty about.

Point being...it's not a fair comparison.

7. gregori

gregori BUF Refugee

FROM A TECHNOLOGICAL POINT OF VIEW UT2007 HAS EXCELLENT GRAPHICS. THIS ARTICLE IS FULL OF ****! THIS GAMES IS EASILY UP THERE WITH CRYSIS/HALO 3 ,PROBABLE EVEN BETTER!

From an artistic point of view however, this games is quickly being outdone by GOW. The visuals in UT2007 seem really uninspired, bland and stock sci fi and lacking in feeling and character.

The Warfare map Onyx Coast on that video had terrain and a skyline that was pretty uniform, and more what you'd expect from novice Terragen scenes on the net. The skybox was boring and flat. The enviroments still look too clean, compared with what's been done with GoW. The weapon effects are standard stuf we've seen before. The exception to this is that the new vehicles, esp the dark walker look excellent.

Visually, this game feels bland and understated, considering all the cool **** that can be done with that engine. Epic has lost its visual design edge since Unreal/UT. Maps/visuals from those had feeling, they could make the most bizarre alien/futuristic enviroments feel real and unique.

I blame Halo alot for this!

8. DeathBooger

The map isn't finished yet, I think WillHaven said he was surprised they showed that map because it's an old version.

9. UnrealGrrl

UnrealGrrl Enemy flag carrier is Her!

besides which if the maps looked anything like the maps in GOW, half the community would be saying stuff like...

"zOMG we cant see the players, too many stuff in the bkground. Epic PLS fix NOW!"
    "gameplay not graphics, ut2k7 loox like a pretty picture with lots of pretty thingies to get stuck on and all the maps are teh suck! Epic is a bunch of llamas!~!`1!"
    "hHelp!1 the maps are dark - need bright skinz1!!"

Unreal and UT had some gorgeous settings (for the time) but ppl gotta realize we cant have it both ways. improvements in graphics tech also mean its tougher for designers to balance the look of an environment with the playability. if you make things too real, it can have an negative bounce on the gameplay (in a shooter anyway) but if you keep it too clean, everyone wants to know why you skimped on graphics...

itsa a no win situ.

so far, considering this is a work in progress - everything we've seen for ut2007 looks pretty awesone to me and can only get better. besides in an earlier video i seem to remember something about them going around and detailing or "grunge-ifying" the maps as they go along.

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  10. Deadmeat

Deadmeat New Member

You guys really shouldn't be getting that wound up about an article on UT2007 thats on the internet. The internet is completely unregulated, very unreliable and often very unprofessional - you have to carefully evaluate anything you read to assess it's worth. A huge amount of material (on any subject) is heavily biased and lacking in both objectivity and accuracy. Yes there are some very good internet sources but these are far outnumbered by the rapidly multipying 'cack' thats out there.

I also noticed in an early reply someone being worried about these negative articles putting off the casual gamer - don't be. I'm willing to bet the casual gamer will purchase a product based on either a review from a magazine, playing the demo or a recommendation from a friend not because of something they (didn't) read on the internet.

11. JaFO

And with the way the game looks now we've only got one quarter screaming ... ;)

I'm kind of suprised no one has noticed they are as dark as the GoW-maps ...
    Then again ... in the gameplay-movies the enemies all get lit up like a giant glowstick as soon as they're hit. Perhaps that's enough.

to me it looks like the GoW-crew is perfectly capable of doing the kind of stuff the UT-artists are afraid of.

With the likes of Crysis in development Epic had better take care not to delay too long, because UT will look dated with every week that passes.

12. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

The Code of Ethics apply to ALL forms of journalism, from newspapers, TV's, and yes, internet sites. A high standing official such as the Editor-in-Chief at Bittech making derogatory comments about anyone is clearly unprofessional. In any case, the review shouldn't have been published in the first place.

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  13. Ice Dragoon

Ice Dragoon Yes, we have Flack.

I had a preveiw of 2007. the graphics looked great. they have some very good details like the wrinkles on the players face for example.

14. truegamer

truegamer New Member

Willhaven didn't say the level was a shell... he referred to, if I recall, a clip that appeared in a video full of several different clips (maybe the deathmatch demo on gamespot or even the trailer).

One thing I'd like to add to the heated graphics debate is that I don't think SLI was even up and running at the time of E3 last year... was it? If it wasn't, then they were playing the "Conquest" demo on a 7600 or 7800 or something.

15. Phopojijo

Phopojijo A Loose Screw

Sli was back in the 6800 days.

16. DeathBooger

SLI isn't needed, but DirectX 10 will probably help out a lot once UE3 supports it, and that sucks.

17. JaFO

Dx10 will only help if there's a card that actually supports it and the game takes advantage of the new tech.

Only problem is that there are no such cards (expect them Q2 next year)... and even without Dx10 the cards that are released next year are going to be faster. If that's the optimisation you're looking for then you might as well wait until UT2k7 is in the bargain bin. As the hardware is sure to have advanced enough to use brute force to 'solve' the problem for you.

18. neilthecellist

neilthecellist Renegade.

Put it this way. Not everyone's going to have a DX10 card when UT2007 comes out. UT2007 has to support DX9 as well, otherwise a great majority of customer/consumer/gamers will be unsatisfied.

19. moonflyer

moonflyer New Member

Actually UT2k7 doesn't have to be look like GOW, or has as much detials as it, but, the problem is currently 2k7 doesn't have alot cool(or somewhat original) visual which we can see in GOW, the gunfire, the blood, the whole tone, the dark and powerful feeling

Yup you can say the map is still in progress or the game is not finished, but at least we can see the art direction, personally I don't like it very much, it is not going to be as great as the first time I see ut99, hl2, painkiller...

Lots of details + Colorful effects =/= Cool visual

20. Sijik

Sijik Snagged an item.

It looks a lot like UC2, which is a different look from each of the previous UTs, and a lot more consistant, over all. Compared to GoW, maybe it is, but compared to the previous UTs it's a lot more consistant and I am noticing a certain aesthetic going-on. It's not necessarily moody or darkly atmospheric, but it does have a definite 'look' to it.
    Over-all I'd call it bulky, but streamlined, which seems to fit the gameplay of UT like a glove. Big, oversized weapons, levels, and effects, OTT approach, but fluid, streamlined game-play.

Last edited: May 19, 2006