Art History Careers

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Beowolf

hail to the king
Feb 2, 2003
barracksnetwork.com
Hey,

My girlfriend is majoring in Art History, but has run into a problem - it seems like there are not many career paths available for art history majors other than museum curators, and they require PhDs. So my question is, do you know of any possible career paths (or anyone I can talk to) for Art History majors who are doing a standard 4 year Bachelors degree?

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
There are lots of careers for people pursuing arts degrees. Waitress, flight attendant and ditch digging all spring to mind.

Seriously though--if you don't realize that art history is an almost certain deadend career-wise, you should seriously sit down for a reality check. I'm not even trying to be mean here, I'm just being frank.

Now for actual jobs: Most major corporations will hire exceptional individuals with any sort of degree in entry level positions (well, ones that aren't specializations like accountants, medical professionals, etc.). She could try to get into publishing and possibly work on art history books later in her career (after she slogged her way to the top through text book editing--shudder). Perhaps she'll find something else that really interests her.

Oh, and did I mention graduate school?

~Jason

Igoy

dea ex machina
Jan 20, 2008
Norwich, England.
slave-riot.co.uk
Surely she'd be best off talking to one of her tutors about where she can go from here? If her university doesn't have advisors or guidence as to where to go from there once she'd completed her course, I'd say she's screwed. :/

Alternatively, she could take dragonfliet's advice.

Gundato

Wangosaurus Rex
Feb 26, 2002
In a Nuclear Missile Silo
She majored in Art History.
She requires her boyfriend to look into what she can do with her degree.

Sounds like a keeper.

That being said, tell her to talk to her ****ing adviser. And see if her college has some sort of Career Services Center. I use the one at my college quite often to search for internships and the like.

Airmoran

Construct
Nov 9, 2004
Yeah, I'm not sure why she's asking her boyfriend to do career searches for her. Her school should be a plethora of career information.

Still, at the very least her major is good for one thing: producing a diploma. Many jobs like college diplomas 'cause they at least show some initiative but realize the actual coursework is worthless. If possible, she can choose to a career path (for example, advertising) and continue taking community college courses to augment her career. It's definitely an option to keep open before she talks to an adviser.

In short, she chose a housewife major. Whoops.

theabyss

No One Here Gets Out Alive
Dec 3, 2005
East Coast
Well that´s really weird. Usually you should inform yourself before you even consider studying a certain subject. I mean if she is creative and has a fine arts background there are countless possibilities in the design, advertising etc. field - or even Art teacher...depends what she wants to do. But like I said: that kind of research should have taken place in the beginning.

Gundato

Wangosaurus Rex
Feb 26, 2002
In a Nuclear Missile Silo
Well that´s really weird. Usually you should inform yourself before you even consider studying a certain subject. I mean if she is creative and has a fine arts background there are countless possibilities in the design, advertising etc. field - or even Art teacher...depends what she wants to do. But like I said: that kind of research should have taken place in the beginning.

If people actually researched their future before they went to college, you would have maybe 99% of the world being business majors :p. Seriously, easy courseload, crapload of jobs, and it isn't too hard to get a good paying job.

The other 1% being those who actually love what they are studying enough to either do a buttload of extra work (all engineering majors (except for Civil, you guys don't count :p) or are only really able to teach or keep learning (English comes to mind)).

Last edited:

theabyss

No One Here Gets Out Alive
Dec 3, 2005
East Coast
If people actually researched their future before they went to college, you would have maybe 99% of the world being business majors :p. Seriously, easy courseload, crapload of jobs, and it isn't too hard to get a good paying job.

Yeah, that might be true. :)
But I would never again choose a carreer just for the money or because there are so much jobs in this sector available. I worked long enough in a certain field and made good money, had lots of paid vacation, was insured etc. - but I was never happy with what I was doing. That was one of the reasons for me to go back to school. You should be passionate about what you wanna do - I´d rather go for a creative/challenging job even if I will never make as much money as in my previous job.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
My girlfriend's Dad has a degree in art history and is now a pretty good journalist (covering mostly music and movies).