1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ARMA2 - out in germany already!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by zeep, May 27, 2009.

1. GalZohar

GalZohar New Member

Not sure what makes the prices outrageous, but just about anything here seems to cost 10-20% more than it does in the US. I think even a can of coke (1.5~1.8$ here, ~1$ in automatic machines).

2. Snakeye

Snakeye Mk82HD

Well, you mentioned you bought your CPU&GPU for 1500$ (on second thought I think you meant the whole system). A HD4890 can be found [in Austria] for 170€ (~240$) and a i7 920 for 250€ (~350$) - I guess I could build a system [from single components] with those for 1200$ to 1300$ - and get an off the self or self configuration system for less. Since Austria is among the most expensive countries in Europe I really wondered that things could be more expensive in Israel - plus I already find our prices on the edge of outrageous.

But to get a tad back on topic - I did try a bit of AmA2 again yesterday - to see if the new nVidia drivers help - they seem to help a bit, but then Graphics didn't seem to be the problem with low fps to begin with. I'm slowly getting the impression ArmA2 has a lot more potential than I previously thought, and the main problem is the missing documentation of the features and lousy tutorials.

For example I saw a vid [from the ones Zeep posted in the COOP forums] in which the guy went prone and rolled - my first thought was "what the hell, that's possible???". So I fired up ArmA and tried - I couldn't do it. I went through the manual and the key settings and found nothing definite. I looked again yesterday and thought the dodge left/right (or whatever it's called in English) should be it, which I had bound to double tap left/right. So I tried a different key and [ta-daa] it worked; now the key I used for testing wasn't exactly viable for in-game use, so I tried if shift-left/right works and it really did (although it's highlighted red in the key settings for whatever reason) - but I still don't understand what was wrong with double tap left/right or why it didn't work or why the key settings let you even bind things that don't work.

Another similar incident involved the sights on heavy weapons. I couldn't get to switch to the aim view on the DShK or M2 when hitting the RMB, so I assumed they hadn't done any. Now yesterday I tried the alternative button for sights (NUM0, which is pretty far off my standard keys) and for some strange reason it works - you just can't zoom with the RMB when sighted (although you CAN zoom with NUM+ and NUM- ???). I'm sorry but this game has a serious problem with "same-look-and-feel" when it comes to controls..

I'm afraid I'll have to spend a few more hours on getting the controls to work properly [for me] and trying if what I did assign actually works..

3. GalZohar

GalZohar New Member

Yes, it was 1500$ for the whole system, including a zalman CNPS9900 for my CPU (they actually took into account the fact that they get to keep the CPU's stock cooler so it ended up cheaper than buying stock + replacing the cooler). Then again, I bought it with no DVD drive as I am using my old one which is more than great. Buying the computer in single pieces would have costed the same, the place where I bought it even guarantees lowest prices in Israel on a per-part basis (and comapring to other stores they're either the cheapest or almost the cheapest and even then the cheapest is almost same price as them), in addition to putting the pieces together for you for free.

A HD4890 costs 275$ here and when I bought my computer a month ago cheapest was 300$. Cheapest i7-920 is 350$ but that's a tray version, the box version is 370$.

If you look those stuff up on google (newegg and the likes) you'll see noticeably cheaper prices. Heck I've even seen HD4890 for 200$ and less.

The Arma 2 issues you've mentioned are known issues and had been complained about in the forums. I've personally posted in the suggestion forums requesting to fix both the keybinding issues (some keybindings are forbidden even though there is absolutely no reason for them to be forbidden, and there's no notification of them not working other than when you try to use them you find out it fails), as well as the sighting and zoom issues. Since these are all rather simple issues I hope they will get fixed rather earlier than later.

Anyway, even with the massive amount of flaws in this game, the advantages make sure it stays much better than any other game out there. The fact is that while they did a half-assed job here, other games simply don't even come close to BIS's half-assed-level.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  4. tomcat ha

tomcat ha Well-Known Member

Dont forget that if they made arma 2 non half assed for its release they would never be able to release it without going bankrupt before them.

I personally have a full understanding for the issues arma 2 has and i find for what kind of game it is its already very bugfree compared to say arma was at launch or ofp.

5. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

6. zeep

zeep :(

wth?!?! they better fix that arma2 running like a pos first

7. Snakeye

Snakeye Mk82HD

Suddenly I feel the urge to annect the czech republic and have all BIS members send into a forced labor camp where they have to fix bugs and improve playability until the game is playable - and possibly execute the whole marketing department.

Seriously, what's up with this world..

8. Coop-Stogie

Coop-Stogie New Member

Same **** happens here like it was with BF2, throwing out an addon before the game is playable :rolleyes:

9. Lethal Dosage

Lethal Dosage Serial Rapis...uh, Thread Killer

It just all about making money these days, and it's the publishers who're usually responsible. Sadly developers can't afford to really care much about the quality of their games with the deadlines they get stuck with, and the publishers know as much about the games their financing as they do Mozart.

10. Hadmar

Hadmar Queen Bitch of the Universe

AFAIK addons usually get planned and begin development before the main game is even released.

11. Snakeye

Snakeye Mk82HD

While this is usually true, most developers and publisher at least have the decency to:
    1.: Make their game playable for the majority of users before announcing an add-on.
    2.: At least wait about a year so they can add a bit of stuff and TEST it so it doesn't end up buggy as hell AGAIN.

With three or so months between release and add-on announcment I fear the worst. Well, they ain't getting my money this time..

12. tomcat ha

What

arma 2 is not that buggy at all for me. Its doing much better compared to either arma 1 or ofp.

Also you know that they will continue putting out patches for a long time. Its just that they as a company need money.

13. Snakeye

Snakeye Mk82HD

I can't compare to ArmA1, since I didn't play it, but OFP at least produced decent framerates out of the box in the old days, and while there were bugs, I don't remember anything horribly gamebraking from playing through the campaign back then.

ArmA2 was unplayable for me with day one patch (1.01) in terms of framerate - which is why I can't comment on buggyness otherwise - but from reading their forums and release notes of 1.03 there seem to have been quite some bugs in missions.

And yes, I'm aware BIS is making new patches, which is the only reason why I didn't take into consideration to return the game and demand my money back (not that this would work). In any case releasing an obviously bugged and lousy optimized game just because you need money is NOT acceptable in my opinion - you wouldn't accept buying a new car and getting AC and indicator lights and rear door lock installed in future patches, would you? I understand the analogy isn't exactly right since software always will have bugs and be not refined on first release, but ArmA2 is the first game I ever had where I couldn't play the day I bought it because of it's horrible performance - and having played and enjoyed quite a few rather buggy games (including but not limited to Stalker Clear Sky) I consider this to be a low point in my years of PC gaming.

14. zeep

Since i've had ARMA2 i went from a 3gzh dual core to a 3ghz quad core and gained absolutely nothing in performance... to my amazement.

I'd like to know what Godly systems BIS is working with to have ARMA2 running that smooth and detailed like we see in the video's. Their money problems probably started when they bought those.

15. StevenGarcia

StevenGarcia Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2010
  16. zeep

Aaaargh...
    Did that scream suprise you then? Mister 'know it all' :lol:

Ok i'll skip food for 2 weeks and get a GeForce GTX 285. Can i expect a slight increase in fps then maybe?

17. StevenGarcia

StevenGarcia Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2010
  18. -=]N[=-WWE

-=]N[=-WWE New Member

qft son

19. tomcat ha

I have quite decent performance on my e6420 and hd4870 1gb. Also i can run arma 2 on everything high in the editor as long as i place no ai on the map.

Arma 2 is also harder to optimise than cod or whatever. if something is slightly inefficient in cod you will get a much smaller impact if you have the same inefficiency in arma2.

Anyway, yes there are bugs, but ive seen much less omg wtf is this posts in forums compared to when arma1 was released. also for most people arma 1 was already 1.05 when they bought it. Just ask some germans who got the first version of arma 1 and let them compare it to arma 2.

20. Snakeye

Snakeye Mk82HD

My fault, I thought this was supposed to be a military simulation in which AI can be present - obviously [for most people] it's an editor to make missions for people who can afford a PC that exceeds the recommended specs by a factor of 2 or 3. I'll have to take a look at the box again to see if I missed the word "editor" after the phrase "ultimate military simulator".

ArmA2 - at least IMO - should be about being able to play missions with 50+ AI units in single player. Right now if I have a few (<10) I see a huge drop in performance.

Then perhaps they should make a public beta to iron out their engine before public we-get-money-release or put their minimum requirements to intel i7 for single player - yet their box claims a 2GHz Core will play it.

Probably because all people who thought the condition ArmA1 was shipped in was inacceptable and didn't buy ArmA2 - with those die-hards remaining who would play the game even if it formatted their HDDs once a week?