1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

are doors in ut a bad thing?

Discussion in 'Original Unreal Tournament' started by summonermw2, Jan 28, 2002.

1. summonermw2

summonermw2 New Member

I know that this has probably been discussed before but I have noticed that there is a disturbing lack of doors in UT. so the question is do you think that doors would be a bad thing or what?

2. PuppyShade

PuppyShade I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(

are'nt ALL doors bad ??

3. CrazyCougar

CrazyCougar CATatonic

Doors and some portals can really be a pain. I always seem to get stuck in the portal on Hyperblast. Usually it's a lag issue but sometimes they just refuse to let you go.

Doors have the same problem. Zeto has lots of doors that can leave you stuck in a certain section due to lag. Ever tried to go through a door while loading rockets? Sometimes the door doesn't open when you want it to.

Same thing could be said for lifts... the bots don't like them either.. ;)

4. Mxtrmntr

Mxtrmntr (Formerly known as Mxtrmntr)

Doors are bad for the map's flow in standard game modes imo, especially in DM. They are alright for realism mods tho, they are much slower and doors are much more interesting there, you need tactics, their sound can tell you where the enemy is etc. SFTDM-House (SFTDM = Strike Force Team DM) comes to my mind here, if you'll ever get around to play it (especially in a clan war) you'll notice how important the doors are in this map; it would be totally different without them.

5. Zenda

Zenda Turbo Adept+10%

I'm at ease with doors.

They are used to good effect in Ice Statio Zeto. And also in Elsinore.

To be sure, I need them to be wide enough so as not to get stuck on them. and also to be a colour that contrasts with the wall. this enables me to actually see the door. When i am on a map that I do not know well i really appreciate being able to see the doors. rather than fighting on limited turf until some bot has the good grace to show me where it is.

Another thing I like about doors is that I can hide behaind them. Also, as wasa the case in Waffnuffly#'s great work 'Attacked', it is good to be able to ruch at the door. It opens. i fire at the enemy and at themoment that they have turned around and are ready to engage in battle. i retreat. The door sloses, and that gives me the respite I need.

6. summonermw2

summonermw2 New Member

thanks for the replies!

7. SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster enemy of time

Doors suck, lifts are O.K. The flow of the DM maps is ruined by doors. Lift are fine, as long as good bot pathing or no bots.

8. Zenda

Zenda Turbo Adept+10%

I'm especially impressed with what MadMonk has done with jump-pads.

He 0wnz them bigtime:tup::)

9. TWD

TWD Cute and Cuddly

Doors can be very helpful to the gameplay of your map if used properly. First off it serves as a natural choke point which you can hide behind, and creates an interesting situation. The door can close and you'll be in position but they can't see you.

The other important thing about a door, is that it makes a sound. It is the same thing with water, you put water in there so that if they try to escape to the other side of the map, at least you know. However water doesn't really fit into every map, which is why you would use a door.

10. TAZTG

TAZTG Your face, Your ass-Whats the Difference

IMO, doors area good thing, if placed right. CTF-Ortican, Hostility are examples, Lots of good RoA maps use doors which work real well. It makes it harder to get out with the flag and it also makes it easier to get away if the defenders get have to wait for them to open..

11. pine

pine Official Photography Thread Appreciator

I tend to have ph34rful pings at times, so I don't like doors for this reason. I played a zeroping instagib CTF match with my clan vs. NV one time, when my ping was like 500. On Scandinavium. That sucked.

12. PuppyShade

PuppyShade I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(

oOOo those guys are nice dudes, that |NV| clan

i play most of my ctf games with them on their pub server

13. pine

pine Official Photography Thread Appreciator

Yeah, NV is a cool bunch. But do you play instagib? :con: I thought that was all they played. And they 0wn at it :p.

14. I AM{skullface}

I AM{skullface} metrosexual

I think doors and lifts are underrated, and should be used more. There are a few good maps that have great lift usage, for example, some 1on1 maps have armor or weapons that can only be reached via lift jumps.

Doors are fine, it's just unfortunate that most doors are so small.

There should be more traps...more sliding floors, more opening ceilings. I think that would be good stuff. :)

-I_AM{skullface}

15. DRT-Maverick

DRT-Maverick Lover of Earwigs

So, I should avoid slow moving doors, and make faster moving lifts?