1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[Apple]New Intel Mac Mini revealed

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Syri, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Ice

Ice New Member

One button mice were made as part of Apple's initiative to make computers easier for people to get into. Granted it is dumb now but as an initial marketing idea it worked well. (My mother is one of the people who still don't really know how to use computers because of the whole "Right click or left click" issue....f'ing senior citizens.)

OSX is a prebuilt linux distro with a customized X11 cover. Windows users might not know the difference but OSX users certainly do. You can't put the incompetence of the majority of XP users as a reason why OSX is not good.

ZenPirate: Good point about the NTFS system, I don't know why my brain went into overdrive for a second there.

I'm not sure about the simple file-sharing post service pack 2, but wouldn't the endless need for large-size and scale service packs also be seen as a detriment to the operating system? I don't recall there being such security patches that large in scale for Red Hat or Yellow Dog, for example. Two huge fixes to come close to matching that of the out of the box performance of OSX makes me seems like evidence of a poor design, in my opinion.

2. ZenPirate

ZenPirate Living Legend (and moderator)

My last Linux install (SuSE 10) required several hundred megs of updates post-install. IIRC, OS X point updates are pretty large as well (ie: 10.2-10.3). That and the irritating fact that you need to buy a new $100+ OS version every year (or so) or risk losing support for some OS features (ie: software "X" *requires* OS X.4 or later). Not saying any of this is bad.

3. Ice

Ice New Member

The thing is, that's a complete OS upgrade, not a security patch. Those OS upgrades usually entail new features, phasing out old standards, or replacing bugs, not simply patching tens or hundreds of security holes.

4. BobCobb

BobCobb Society is a leech on me!

It wasn't really an argument, just a statement. But you are overstating the savvy of OSX users. Just because they use a mac doesn't mean they know the difference between the linux kernel and the windows kernel. The only reason there are more illiterate windows users is because windows still dominates the OS market, so noobsteve will choose windows over anything else.

OSX is just a fancy linux kernel, built on propeitary hardware so its more secure. Its nice, but its really just the road between windows and linux, and we all know which direction the signs are pointing. ;)

5. Ice

Ice New Member

I don't think most OSX users out there would agree with your idea that OSX is simply a waystation between Windows and Linux. It is not a transition point at all; it's an entirely different option.

6. BobCobb

BobCobb Society is a leech on me!

Well, on many levels it is completely different, but on the level of configurabilty, kernel stability and security, and user friendliness, I would say it is a waystation.

But regardless, OSX users are just artsy queers anyways, windows users are the ME SMASH COMPUTAR types, and linux people are just hideous geeks living in their parents basement.

God, I love stereotypes. :)

7. Ice

Ice New Member

Waystation implies that the users are going to move on to something else in the future. I think of it as more of a compromise; the best of both worlds.

8. SkullCrusher

SkullCrusher What are YOU looking at?!?!

Apple was the very first computer inc. to make a computer which was a macintosh! Without macintosh!! the dells and gateways and all that would have never been! Macintosh is more important that people realize!!! They even made a dam movie on gates!!! that SHOWS that apple came first! :lol: I myself have an ibook G4 laptop and it handles ut2k4 MUCH BETTER than dell!it's also easy to carry becuz its so small! :lol: It's sad to see that fellow mac gamers have to put up with all the abuse from window users! like take XFire for example! THEY COULD CARE LESS ABOUT HOW MANY GAMERS R USING MACS!! they wont make a mac version becuz they dont like macs!!:shake: very sad.

9. Airmoran

Airmoran Construct

...or maybe it's because the installed base for macs is a single digit percentage compared to the amount of PC users out there.

Sad fact is, it takes a lot of effort to create cross-platform software that works seemlessly together (unless you're working in java...) , and when you're going to double the time and effort just to gain a pitiful amount of users, it just isn't feasible. Liking macs often becomes irrelevant when things are measured in dimes and dollars.

On a side note, "macs came first" often doesn't work as an argument, simply because if Apple didn't do it, someone else would've. It wasn't a case of Apple tapping into an unknown market, but simply being the first to introduce a personal computer with a GUI.

10. Ice

Ice New Member

Kintergarten is the next door down, troll.

True. Macs do have their bad points, and many of them. I just think that the ones they do have outweigh the ones PCs have or are more acceptable to me. I don't play anymore games on my computers anymore, so gaming, one of the HUGE disadvantages in the eyes of most of the posters here, doesn't matter to me. Other things, such as cost, are outweighed by the fact that it's easier for me to have the same OS and equipment as what the school I am at offers.

11. Kaligraphic

Kaligraphic Charles leChaud is my hero

Apple is shipping two-button mice standard now - check for the little scroll nubbin dealie to identify them.

OS X is based on BSD, not Linux.

12. Ice

Ice New Member

My bad on the BSD part; I knew that but for some reason I keep associating BSD with linux. That whole....geekdom thing scares me ;)

As for the two button mice deal, I know it's standard practice but the laptops still only have one on the trackpad, and it was one of apple's more infamous deals. I felt the need to explain it, but I'm glad Apple has decided to get with the program (albeit a few years late (like 5) but whatever.)

13. Zaccix

Zaccix Truth, by Banksy

Firstly, Apple have never, ever been on the ball with graphics and gaming in sub-£1000 machines. They've always been "behind the curve" with the graphics subsystem that comes stock with the consumer-level machines, so the Mac mini having integrated graphics doesn't surprise me at all.

Secondly, OS X is lovely. I mean, drag a window a bit off-screen, click and hold something elsewhere (e.g. a document) and drag it into the partly off-screen window; it'll snap back into the desktop so you can drag your file into the right folder. Next, hover a file over a folder or drive; it'll spring open so you can move the file inside.

Obviously, this isn't everything that's nice about OS X, but I don't want to ramble on. When using it, though, I get the feeling that the designers thought hard about how to make the OS get the heck out of your way. Sure, OS X is big on aesthetics, but it's also incredibly well-designed.

Sure, I use WinXP on this PC because the apps I use the most I have in Windows flavour, and I like playing games, but my iBook is like a sanity check that puts everything into perspective. ;)

14. Ice

Ice New Member

Ever think of hacking your PC to dual boot with OSX, Zaccix?

15. SkullCrusher

[SARCASM]OH THAT'S CLEVER! REALLY CLEVER!! :eek: [/SARCASM]:rolleyes:

16. Ice

Ice New Member

So, if you want to get serious, why do YOU hate Macintosh computers?

17. Forgetful

Forgetful Here is party?

Here's what I don't get...
    They claim to have digital sound, but that looks like just a regular headphone jack to me. The only two digital sound mediums I know of are optical and digital coaxial. Can someone please fill me in.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  18. Ice

Ice New Member

The digital sound goes through the headphone jack, which is also a S/PDIF jack.

19. SkullCrusher

ummmm if i hated macs i wouldn't be using one sherlock!!! :lol:

20. Daedalus

Daedalus I don't even...

this + Airmoran's post about OSX "Flowing" sum it all up. I use my PC for gaming and such but for anything else I tend to gravitate toward my Powerbook because well...I like it better.

I can honestly say that I'll never EVER EVER purchase a big bulky PC laptop (a Thinkpad would be the only PC laptop I'd ever purchase)