[Apple]New Intel Mac Mini revealed

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Syri

Who are you calling short?
Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
Today Apple released the intel powered mac mini range, can't say I didn't see it coming, and it all looks quite impressive, but for one thing... the radeon 9200 from the old mac mini has been replaced by intel extreme graphics!
to me, this seems a bit of a silly decision, more powerful cpu, faster hdd, and a worse graphics chip...

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
While the iMac impressed me, the mini is "meh". *if* they had added DVR built in, and a dvd-rw on all models i would have been most impressed.

Israphel

Sim senhor, efeitos especial
Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
A mate of mine went out and bought a mini a few months back after owning an ibook...he's not been too impressed with it.
On the other hand another mate who had owned some crappy dell machine bought one and loves it...
The thing with the mini is that it is an entry level computer, nothing special, and I can see why apple introduced it, although there's nothing about it (apart from it's size) that makes it impressive if you're already running a decent Mac.

I'll be getting a Macbook (godawful name) to replace my Powerbook in May...I have to say, I'm quite looking forward to it.

Ice

Apr 11, 2002
Visit site
This is nice, although a bit pricey and earlier than I expected to be announced.

Meh, mini's never interested me. Glad my macbook is awaiting my return home :)

Ice

Apr 11, 2002
Visit site
The new mac mini (which I think you're refering to since the imacs have been out since the beginning of the January have ATI cards) has an onboard intel gpu.

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
The problem is that the new mini has one hell of a powerful processor even by Windows pc standards, burdened with a crappy video "card".

missPoopShoot

voodoo rage
Jul 13, 2003
Cambridge, UK
Visit site
Let's evaluate shall we?

a) Apple needs to cut costs in the machine to compensate for the Intel Duo CPU price - includes cheaper GPU.

b) Loads of game hungry nerds complain that it won't run WoW/Doom3 when the Mac Mini was made to be a media centre and web surfing machine. Decode and stream video (high rated CPU), not to play the latest games (high rated GPU).

c) The GPU appears to be sufficient for the function of the machine. Plus, at £599 inc VAT, it's also cheaper than some other media centre PCs with similar specs...

DVR is obviously a big miss, but once this issue is addressed, the mini will be a great investment.

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
At least the original mac mini has a Radeon 9200 with 32mb of VRAM. It wasn't shared memory, it wasn't onboard.

sure it was only 32mb of VRAM but hey, it was at least SOME that wasn't shared. Personally I think apple missed BIG TIME with the new mac minis and they're a poor addition to the intel line.

EDIT: What was hysterical was when apple had something on their website poking fun at other machines that have onboard graphics and comparing it to their machines.

The blurb has since disappeared from the apple website.

Last edited:

missPoopShoot

voodoo rage
Jul 13, 2003
Cambridge, UK
Visit site
I'll say it again...

The GPU appears to be sufficient for the function of the machine. Plus, at £599 inc VAT, it's also cheaper than some other media centre PCs with similar specs...

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
missPoopShoot said:
I'll say it again...

The GPU appears to be sufficient for the function of the machine. Plus, at £599 inc VAT, it's also cheaper than some other media centre PCs with similar specs...

How is it sufficient? I don't understand where you're getting this sufficient for a machine that used to have a better graphics card for cheaper.

Even for basic tasks something like an intel extreme chip will chug.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
ZenPirate said:
While the iMac impressed me, the mini is "meh". *if* they had added DVR built in, and a dvd-rw on all models i would have been most impressed.

Dont they offer that through their small customise page?

I would like macs a lot more if they got rid of the floater windows. accedental desktop clickage is frustrating.

Ice

Apr 11, 2002
Visit site
Daedalus said:
How is it sufficient? I don't understand where you're getting this sufficient for a machine that used to have a better graphics card for cheaper.

Even for basic tasks something like an intel extreme chip will chug.

You're saying that word processing, email checking, and browsing the web for, say, cnn.com will chug that graphics card? I somehow doubt it.

missPoopShoot

voodoo rage
Jul 13, 2003
Cambridge, UK
Visit site
Ice said:
You're saying that word processing, email checking, and browsing the web for, say, cnn.com will chug that graphics card? I somehow doubt it.

Exactly my point. Video decoding (the other main function of the Mini) is all going to be handled on the CPU. Only the newest video cards have a dedicated H.264 decoding chip.

Additionally, If you know anything about manufacturing, you know that you have to make product to a cost. You can't keep throwing stuff in there or you'll end up with a PowerMac...

On board video is fine for most laptop users, and general laptop use (email, DVD, music, etc) is about all the Mini mac should be expected to handle for being an Apple PC at £600 inc VAT.

Ice

Apr 11, 2002
Visit site
missPoopShoot said:
Exactly my point. Video decoding (the other main function of the Mini) is all going to be handled on the CPU. Only the newest video cards have a dedicated H.264 decoding chip.

Additionally, If you know anything about manufacturing, you know that you have to make product to a cost. You can't keep throwing stuff in there or you'll end up with a PowerMac...

On board video is fine for most laptop users, and general laptop use (email, DVD, music, etc) is about all the Mini mac should be expected to handle for being an Apple PC at £600 inc VAT.

But general laptop use doesn't describe my macbook pro sitting at my house awaiting my return from college..... MMMMM.

3 days and counting...

Sorry for the OT, but that machine is SICK.

missPoopShoot

voodoo rage
Jul 13, 2003
Cambridge, UK
Visit site
Ice said:
But general laptop use doesn't describe my macbook pro sitting at my house awaiting my return from college..... MMMMM.

3 days and counting...

Sorry for the OT, but that machine is SICK.

I'm so tempted right now ... I'm waiting for a 17" screen version and better Universal Application support for my necessary apps before I can even being to think about justifying it. Right now one of the new Viao laptops is whispering sweet nothings to me.

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
Big-Al said:
why do mac bother?

Why do you bother posting?

EDIT: I guess for basic tasks the integrated graphics are going to be OK. Overall I'm just not impressed with the poor implementation of the intel mini.

Infact, the entire presentation was a huge letdown.

Last edited:

missPoopShoot

voodoo rage
Jul 13, 2003
Cambridge, UK
Visit site
Daedalus said:

EDIT: I guess for basic tasks the integrated graphics are going to be OK. Overall I'm just not impressed with the poor implementation of the intel mini.

Absolutely fair. How the hell do you make a leather carry case such a big deal? Mind you, this seems like the 50th keynote Jobs has done this year... :lol:

Daedalus said:

Once again, absolutely fair.

Ice

Apr 11, 2002
Visit site
Daedalus said:

The thing is, for most of the tasks you're probably disappointed the mini won't handle the new imac was tailored to step up and handle.

The new presentation did suck. Just wait until the 1st though, I have a feeling Steve Jobs is going to drop bombs on us.

EDIT:
Big-Al said:
why do mac bother?

Why do you bother posting? For all the elistism Mac owners show towards anyone else PC users sure do piss on Apple for no reason. Give me a good quality reason why you dislike Macs, other than "dey suk cuz dey no ply gmez!"

Last edited: